A buddy of my gave me this link I thought was pretty cool: The Remains of Detroit - Photo Essays - TIME
But it brings up something that has been on my mind for quite a while. Obviously here in America the GDP is no longer the GDP, it is now the GDS (funny as I type this GDP doesn't get underlined as an incorrect spelling but GDS does...) - because services have overtaken products within this past decade, and the trend seems to be continuing.
I am curious about two things...
Since America no longer manufactures, or produces products (and I use those words loosely) - does this mean that there are major opportunities in the manufacturing world? Or is it that we have fallen so far behind, and it is so much cheaper to manufacture offshore that we don't stand a chance in this market? Not necessarily as a country but as an individual. Obviously the smart entrepreneur follows the money. A market that tries to serve a demographic that doesn't have a need just doesn't plain make sense. Question number one is, should an (not saying me - cuz I love me some service businesses) entrepreneur be focused on creating products because everyone is running in the opposite direction? The old theory that if everyone is running one direction you might want to run the opposite way.
Number two thought is if we are focused so soley on Services, what in the heck do we produce? I am thinking about myself between the business and a half that I have, I produce black belts and good feelings? While that's all well and good - it's alll internal, there is nothing really to show for it but increased productivity for them. Increased quality of living. Increased happiness. Is there a way for service based businesses to produce as well?
Maybe I'm rambling but just thought going through my head...
But it brings up something that has been on my mind for quite a while. Obviously here in America the GDP is no longer the GDP, it is now the GDS (funny as I type this GDP doesn't get underlined as an incorrect spelling but GDS does...) - because services have overtaken products within this past decade, and the trend seems to be continuing.
I am curious about two things...
Since America no longer manufactures, or produces products (and I use those words loosely) - does this mean that there are major opportunities in the manufacturing world? Or is it that we have fallen so far behind, and it is so much cheaper to manufacture offshore that we don't stand a chance in this market? Not necessarily as a country but as an individual. Obviously the smart entrepreneur follows the money. A market that tries to serve a demographic that doesn't have a need just doesn't plain make sense. Question number one is, should an (not saying me - cuz I love me some service businesses) entrepreneur be focused on creating products because everyone is running in the opposite direction? The old theory that if everyone is running one direction you might want to run the opposite way.
Number two thought is if we are focused so soley on Services, what in the heck do we produce? I am thinking about myself between the business and a half that I have, I produce black belts and good feelings? While that's all well and good - it's alll internal, there is nothing really to show for it but increased productivity for them. Increased quality of living. Increased happiness. Is there a way for service based businesses to produce as well?
Maybe I'm rambling but just thought going through my head...
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
