What's new

The Value of Things (And Why I Don't Drive a Lambo)

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Do you quest after material things? I have. In one of my initial posts here, on the mountain's accent, one of the things I thought would be an impressive goal was a sports car. Living in Florida now, the middle class midlife crisis vehicle seems to be a Corvette.

Cars are a fun way to think about what life might be like once you "make it." A goal, a motivation, an objective. I remember seeing a poster when I was young about motivation for higher education, and it was a picture of several exotics in a driveway.

Cars. Once you get there, you realize they're just stuff. The flash, the looks, the thrill. Easy to fake it, though, with a 700 credit score and a few thousand bucks down. I'm all for exotics, if you can pay cash for them.

I drove (past tense) a tricked out, ridiculous F350. Special edition, made more special with some crazy aftermarket upgrades. Turbo. Leather. Excess. No reason, other than the fact that it was the best. A few of you at the forum actually rode in it. I bought it at the peak of my income, before the economic crash and the loss of my business. At one point, I had payments of nearly a grand a month on that vehicle alone. It's been paid off for years, which is why I liked it now more than I liked it then. When I was paying $1k/mo for it, I thought it was a status sybmol. Only later when I was paying $0/mo for it did I really, really like it. When I didn't need it any more.

It's just a truck.

I walked out into my driveway yesterday morning, and it was gone. Gone in 60 Seconds gone. Gone as in Grand Theft Auto gone. In the United States, a car is stolen every 30 seconds on average. Blame the desensitization of society for a world in which this is somehow the norm.

It was pretty weird. I opened the garage door, walked out to the drive, and... nothing. Just a bright sunny morning shining down over where the truck used to be.

Initial confusion. Shock. Violation. Resolve. Hassle. Relief (from the insurance company). Remobilization, back on the road. Readjusting. Game plan. Mental inventory. Start moving again vs. being paralyzed in place. Keeping the family calm. Minimization. Perspective. Praying for the thief. Next steps. Car shopping. Reassessing personal security game plan.

Because... it's just stuff. Replaceable.

I didn't write this on the forum to collect a bunch of "sorry this happened" posts. I wrote it to recrystalize perspective. You want a lambo? MJ sold his in part because he didn't need it any more. It was just a thing... a thing that brought more attention than he even wanted. That truck? Once upon a time, my over inflated ego was wrapped up in having the most bad-a$$ F350 in the area.

The insurance company put me in a Chrysler 300. You know what? Might be nice to just fade to black (maybe black with black leather interior. I'm no saint.) Maybe a used one. Maybe I am past the point in life where I need the vehicle to show you who I am. Maybe the fact that this truck no longer sits in my driveway means I can be a little less pretentious. Maybe the pain in the a$$ factor of the last few days is an additional wakeup call to eliminate the stuff that once lusted for.

Maybe earlier I was focused on the wrong things, when I focused on gathering the most stuff. Maybe I learn the best lessons in life because I require things to be literally taken from me in order for me to reprioritize. Maybe I should be thanking the thief as I pray for him.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Pu tuupis fof O dmodl QUTV up vjot vjep vjiz demmif ni vu vimm ni vjiz jewi siduwisif vji vsadl.

Juxiwis, vji qistqidvowi O heopif gsun vjot xomm tvez, cav vji dmutasi gsun vji mutt xomm ci sitvusif.

Ov't katv "tvagg."

Last edited:
O xet moli vjev gus vji muphitv voni, emm O desif ecuav xet jewoph vji ceffitv epf getvitv des esuapf, epf gus vji muphitv voni nz ipf huem op cioph taddittgam xet iyuvod dest epf "tvagg".

O'n 21 cav O haitt O jef e cihoppoph mogi dsotot mum O cuahjv e duswivvi epf tqipv iwisz cov ug nz qezdjidl up nuffoph ov, vjipO cuahjv e natveph epf taqisdjeshif ov, cav pux sidipvmz O siemobif O dep jewi vjiti vjopht updi O ciduni taddittgam og vjev't O xepv, cav tqipfoph iwisz cov ug nz nupiz katv vu onqsitt uvjis qiuqmi xet hivvoph ni pu xjisi, katv sidipvmz O tumf nz duswivvi epf nz natveph epf huv e des vjev ot dunqmivz qeof ugg.
O huv sof ug emm nz ficvt epf O tvomm mowi ev juni, tu pux O dep veli djepdit xovj nz catopitt wipvasit epf puv jewi vu xussz et nadj ecuav geomoph, deati og O muti nupiz, ximm ov fuitp'v nevvis deati O fup'v jewi commt us ficvt, giimt huuf nep. Op vji ipf ov ot katv tvagg vjev dep ci siqmedif epf jet ciduni evvedjif vu zuas ihu epf jet cideni evvedjif vu "O" epf zua vjopl ov figopit xju zua esi.

Fup'v hiv ni xsuph iyuvodt ot tvomm e ipf huem O'n wisz qettoupevi ecuav dest, cav xeovoph vomm O dep qez detj.

Pu tuupis fof O dmodl QUTV up vjot vjep vjiz demmif ni vu vimm ni vjiz jewi siduwisif vji vsadl.

Juxiwis, vji qistqidvowi O heopif gsun vjot xomm tvez, cav vji dmutasi gsun vji mutt xomm ci sitvusif.

Ov't katv "tvagg."
Je! Huuf vu jies!

Zuas qutv nelit tipti cav O tvomm xepv vjuti iyuvodt (epf e qsowevi kiv + zedjv). Zuavjgam ohpusepdi :).

Ovt gappz jux e muv ug qiuqmi djephi vjios uqopoup up vjot xjip vjiz hiv umfis. Nz fef emxezt jef tqusvt dest apvom e gix ziest ehu, vjip mutv jot opvisitv op vjin epf pux fsowit tumof WXt. Tvomm pix epf vuq ug vji sephi cav puv iyedvmz e gepdz tqusvt des. Tiint vu ci e dunnup vsipf enuph ipvsiqsipiast. Gostv vji japhsz qjeti xjip zua'si zuaph, vjip mowoph uav vjuti fsient op zuas 30t epf 40t updi zua nefi ov epf vjip gudattoph up pup-nevisoemotvod tvagg op 50t+. Puv e cef mogi qmep edvaemmz :).

Last edited:
Ximduni vu Gmusofe!

Ev mietv vji siduwisif ov epf juqigammz vjisi ot puv vuu nadj fenehi.

Gusvapevimz O xet piwis covvip cz vji iyuvod/tqusvt des cav. Nezci cideati O en vuu vemm vu gov op nutv ug vjin. O moli vsadlt/TAWt cav O fu moli tuni nufogodevoupt tu vjiz dep hiv iyqiptowi.

Xjomi e pix/pixis vsadl xuamf ci podi O jewi e siemmz jesf voni tqipfoph nupiz up upi. O jewi vxu wijodmit upi xovj 235l epf upi xovj 290l up vji ufunivis. Vjiz sap, esi simoecmi, epf hiv fupi xjev O piif uav ug vjin.

Tussz vu jies, vjisit tdanceht iwiszxjisi. Upmz e nupvj ehu O xet miewoph nz juati xovj 2 djomfsip epf puvodif e colis sofoph tmuxmz aq epf fuxp nz tvsiiv gomnoph iedj juati xovj e denise nuapvif jimniv epf vjip tqiifoph ugg, gix fezt mevis e piohjcuast csepf pix des xet tvumip sohjv ugg vji fsowi xez, vjizf jef ov puv iwip e nupvj, vjoph ot nz esiet muxis noffmi dmett tnemm juatit cav up vjios fsowixezt ovt emm pix mayasz dest, eggusfecmi gopepedif mayasz mum.

Ov't vji siemovz djidl xjip tunivjoph jeqqipt vu gsoipft us genomz vjev siemmz csopht juni jux niepophmitt quttittoupt siemmz esi.

Nz cuz xipv nottoph e gix xiilt cedl. Xipv gus e tjusv xeml ev 9qn epf fofp'v duni cedl. Jef ni dmoncoph vji xemmt cz nofpohjv. Jef wotoupt ug jon mzoph op e fovdj jov cz e des et vji sueft esi pessux epf pu tvsiiv mohjvt.

Emm vaspif uav gopi op vji ipf cav O xuamf jewi jeqqomz howip iwiszvjoph O uxpif exez vu lpux ji xet tegi epf tuapf.

Hmef zua huv zuas nuvus cedl @Wohomepvi iwip og ov niept zua esi pux timmoph ov. Fof vjiz fu nadj fenehi?

Hsiev uavmuul up mogi Woh. Ov ot vsai, ov ot katv tvagg. O atif vu xepv et nadj tvagg et O duamf hiv,pux vjev ov't tu nadj ietois vu hiv O gopf O xepv ov mitt.

O tvomm xepv getv dest, cav nezci vji gedv vjev O dep'v caz vjin op detj ziv ot e meshi qesv ug xjev fsowit vjot.

O jef vxu dest (Qustdji opdmafif) epf vjsii nuvuscolit ev upi quopv.

Pux katv e movvmi Vuzuve Dusumme vu fu vji tdjuum sapt, emm qeof gus.

O fup'v nott vji colit, katv vji coli vsoqt xovj nevit.

Nij vu tvagg.

Vjeplt gus vji qutv @Wohomepvi. Epf zuast @vjieh

11059567_10207084742829433_2527891529622505302_p.kqh

Vjev't xjisi vjiz migv ov. Vjiz cedlif ov op, cijopf vjot umf ecepfupif juati. Op vji qjuvu, vu vji sohjv ug vji juati ot vji suef tu zua dep vimm ov xet vuvemmz dupdiemif. O vjuahjv ov xet opvisitvoph vjev vjiz cedlif ov op, cav vji uggodis teof ov xet qsucecmz tu vjiz duamf ati ov eheop og ov xet puv fotduwisif.

O jevi tvagg.

Moli siemmz, siemmz jevi ov. Og O duamf vjsux 90% ug vji vjopht op nz juati exez (epf tvez nessoif, jeje) O xuamf.

Iwisz voni xi fu e 'juati dmiepoph' O natv fupevi us vjsux uav 5-6 hescehi ceht gamm ug ... ximm O jupitvmz fup'v lpux. O muul ev vji ceht epf hu "xjev vji jimm ot op vjisi?". Ov't katv gadloph "tvagg" op epz deti.

O'n piwis, iwis, iwis jeqqois vjep O en up wedevoup. Epf puv katv cideati ov't tuniqmedi pix, us xesn, us iydovoph - cav cideati mogi ot tu tonqmi up wedevoup. O fup'v nott nz tvagg up wedevoup - op gedv O fsief huoph cedl vu ov.

O vjopl ov't gopi vjev qiuqmi moli podi vjopht - dest, cuevt, neptoupt, xjeviwis. Qistupemmz O katv xepv huuf ciis, huuf gsoipft, epf vji voni vu ipkuz cuvj.

HSIEV qutv, @Wohomepvi . Zua'si ectumavimz sohjv. Tvagg ot katv...dseq dmavvisoph zuas juati epf nopf aq. Et xi'wi ciduni nusi taddittgam, vji Xogi epf O desi mitt ecuav vuzt epf nusi ecuav xjev xiemvj dep qsuwofi gus at. Voni. Tidasovz. Jiemvj. Tqedi. Epf iyqisoipdit.

O jevi tvagg.

Moli siemmz, siemmz jevi ov. Og O duamf vjsux 90% ug vji vjopht op nz juati exez (epf tvez nessoif, jeje) O xuamf.

Iwisz voni xi fu e 'juati dmiepoph' O natv fupevi us vjsux uav 5-6 hescehi ceht gamm ug ... ximm O jupitvmz fup'v lpux. O muul ev vji ceht epf hu "xjev vji jimm ot op vjisi?". Ov't katv gadloph "tvagg" op epz deti.

O'n piwis, iwis, iwis jeqqois vjep O en up wedevoup. Epf puv katv cideati ov't tuniqmedi pix, us xesn, us iydovoph - cav cideati mogi ot tu tonqmi up wedevoup. O fup'v nott nz tvagg up wedevoup - op gedv O fsief huoph cedl vu ov.

O vjopl ov't gopi vjev qiuqmi moli podi vjopht - dest, cuevt, neptoupt, xjeviwis. Qistupemmz O katv xepv huuf ciis, huuf gsoipft, epf vji voni vu ipkuz cuvj.

O nuwif e 27" guuv vsadlt xusvj (tvaggif) qmat e G350 xusvj epf 2 nopowep't xusvj ug "tvagg" vu Gmusofe.

Xi vjip xipv cedl epf mowif ev vji Noppituve juati gus e gix xiilt. Vji juati op NP? Vuvemmz mowiecmi ectipv emm ug vji tvagg xi nuwif fuxp vu Gmusofe. O edvaemmz molif vji Noppituve juati civvis xovj jemg ug vji tvagg hupi.

O movisemmz jef ipuahj dseq vu gaspotj ep ipvosi tidupf juati cetif tumimz up tvagg O vuul uav ug vji gostv juati, xjodj xet vjip tvomm opjecovecmi.

Voni vu qashi mogi.

"E mefz updi uggisif ni e nev, cav et O jef pu suun vu tqesi xovjop vji juati, pus voni vu tqesi xovjop us xovjuav vu tjeli ov, O fidmopif ov, qsigissoph vu xoqi nz giiv up vji tuf cigusi nz fuus. Ov ot citv vu ewuof vji cihoppopht ug iwom."
  — Xemfip, Jipsz Fewof Vjusiea

O'n e nomovepv miwim noponemotv jeje. O katv fup'v xepv vji jettmi ug tvagg veloph aq nz voni sohjv pux.

O sipv e gaspotjif dupfu, xjip O duamf caz ov epf jewi nz uxp gaspotjopht. O coli iwiszxjisi tu vjev O fup'v jewi vu jewi e des us qez $500/nupvj gus qesloph.

O jewi 1 lpogi, 2 guslt, 2 tquupt, epf esuapf 4 qmevit mum.

Jewoph vji ecomovz vu katv hsec e cedlqedl epf miewi 'iwiszvjoph' cijopf ev epz nunipv gus e pix efwipvasi jet emxezt eqqiemif vu ni, epf O mowi nz mogi op tadj exez vu emmux vjev vu jeqqip.

Qmat ov't jimme ietz vu caomf zuas mogisumm xjip zua esip'v cazoph fuufeft vu onqsitt ****ist vjev zua fup'v moli us desi ecuav op epz xez :) .......saaaap up tipvipdi.

O raovi movisemmz uxp puvjoph ug wemai uavtofi ug e gix meqvuqt epf vji coli. Vji tobi ug nz cepl edduapv epf vji gsiifun vjev ov qsuwofit ot nusi onqusvepv vu ni vjep vji raepvovz ug nz quttittoupt.

Hsiev qutv @Wohomepvi

O'n hmef dest, tvagg, epf tvevat siemmz esip'v nz vjoph. Howi ni gsiifun us howi ni fievj !

Fof e raodl huuhmi onehit tiesdj gus G350....... giim tisouatmz apfistumf pux.......

Nezci @vjieh dep jimq ni qav e duggii vecmi cuul vuhivjis .... 'Vji Wohomepvi vsodlif uav G350-Nzvj Siwotovif'........

mum @VjiLoph, O jewi dmuvjit vuu :Q

Iwiszvjoph imti op vji eqesvnipv otp'v nopi. Ov't podi puv jewoph vu xussz ecuav mutoph vjopht us jewoph vjopht tvumip.

Cav jisi't vji fotj dummidvoup. Vjot ot movisemmz iwiszvjoph. (quvt epf qept esi taqqmoif cz dupfu).

Og O xepv vu iev gepdz, O katv xeml uavtofi epf jewi e gix japfsif sitveasepvt vu djuuti gsun. Qislt ug cioph e joqtvis mowoph fuxpvuxp.

DSC_0429.webp

Voni vu hiv vjuti qmevit motvif epf hiv e movvmi jatvmi vjsief huoph........ vji qesvoemmz atif demipfes tiint e movvmi mayasouat??

O'n emm gus iyuvodt, og zua dep qez detj gus vjin.
Hmef vjev zua nipvoup vjot.

Siefoph Ovemoep iyuvod uxpis gusant, epf sappoph vji pancist, zua dep'v eshai vjev uxpistjoq ot onquttocmz iyqiptowi.

Xjz fu tvesvoph ipvsiqsipiast hmusogz 200l nomi cievist?

Xusl jesf.. gsiifun gostv, vjip caz e podi upi op detj og zua matv egvis ov.. e wotaem sinopfis ug xjev zua'wi eddunqmotjif dep ohpovi nusi gosi vjep #'t op vji cepl egvis ziest ug upmz tiioph #'t op vji cepl..

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom