What's new

The Work That Keeps Working: Mimicking the Saltwater Crocodile's Approach to Success

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
croc.webp

Saltwater crocodiles are some of the world’s most successful stealth predators. They first evolved as we know them today 80 million years ago (and changed very little since then). Having outlived dinosaurs, they’re one of the finest examples of “if it works, don’t change it.”

I had the pleasure of seeing these creatures in the wild. And while I’m generally not afraid of wildlife, standing on a boat just a few feet away from a 18-foot (5-meter) croc does provoke primal fear.

These guys don’t joke around.

If you were to fall into the water, you’d be dead within seconds. Heck, if you were to put your arm outside of the boat, you’d be dead within seconds, too. You wouldn’t even have time to register what was happening.

The jaws of a crocodile snap with 3,690 pounds-force. That’s enough force to crush a bowling ball, a coconut or even a small car engine block. After that snap, the crocodile would pull you underwater to drown you (as if the bite wasn’t enough already).

Now, Am I Playing David Attenborough Here or What’s Going On?

I’m talking about saltwater crocodiles because I’ve found them a great example of… strategic laziness.

Salties are opportunists. They spend most time doing nothing.

You may see a saltwater crocodile basking on the bank of a river and two hours later it’ll still be there. Maybe it would jump into the water to cool off a little only to return to the same spot.

Crocodiles can go months without food and be perfectly fine.

But give the crocodile an opportunity, be it a wild pig, a buffalo, or a dumb courageous tourist a little too close to the edge of the water and…

SNAP.

You won’t even see it coming. Large crocodiles can stay hidden even in knee-deep water.

And here’s where things get even more interesting.

A saltwater crocodile can’t digest an entire big prey (like that brave tourist) right away. It’ll eat what it can (an arm here, a leg there) and store the rest.

While the poor tourist is rotting, his body will attract scavengers such as turtles and mud crabs. And they in turn will provide the crocodile with a fresh supply of food (it’s equally fine eating humans as turtles or crabs).

Passive income incoming food, baby.

Do the Work That Keeps Working For You Once It’s Done

In his interview with Tim Ferriss, James Clear talks about “the work that keeps working for you once it's done.” Entrepreneur can benefit from a little bit more of strategic laziness, much like the saltwater crocodile. Hunt once, get more food without extra work.

Of the busiest people I know, their biggest problem is that they rarely, if ever, do work that keeps working for them once it’s done. Whether it’s a day job or a business that generates active income only, every day you’re starting from zero.

As a lazy person who absolutely LOVES optimization, I’ve never liked this approach. Hence, I’ve had most success with mimicking the saltwater crocodile’s approach. Do nothing, pounce when an opportunity presents itself, and use the opportunity to create more opportunity.

For example, I’m still making money from books I published in 2014. I’m still making money from courses I created by reusing the content from my books. I’m still making money from translations of my books. The content I wrote years ago for my autoresponder series is still being sent to new subscribers daily and still sells my products.

And I still have these assets, ready to be turned into new income streams (work in progress).

Content is one way to do the work that keeps working for you once it’s done. But there are also other tools.

Strengthening the relationships with your existing clients is one way to secure more opportunities without heavily increasing your workload.

Business models with recurring income (whether through subscriptions, consumables, or other vehicles) are another way to be more like a saltwater crocodile.

Building a referral system in which you reward your customers for referring new ones is another option. In one of the most notable examples of recent years, this one strategy alone was largely responsible for the success of The Hustle, sold between $25 to $30 million.

Using AI is an emerging way to do the work that keeps working for you. Autonomous AI agents in particular seem to be fascinating and extremely powerful tools that may keep creating value long after you enter your prompt.

In a world where hustle culture and constant busyness are often glorified, the saltwater crocodile offers a time-tested lazy take on how to be successful.

By embodying strategic laziness, these opportunistic predators have managed to thrive for millions of years without constantly exerting themselves Gary Vee style.

Entrepreneurs can learn from their example by focusing on work that keeps working for them once it's done. Just don’t eat the rotting meat.

Ximduni cedl @NVG.

Xi jewi e gix opvispiv dsudufomit jisi vuu. ;)

Ximduni cedl @NVG.

Xi jewi e gix opvispiv dsudufomit jisi vuu. ;)

Vjeplt. O xup'v ci qutvoph et nadj et cigusi et O tvomm gummux e "miep upmopi mogi" qsuvudum cav xepvif vu tjesi vjiti vjuahjvt up e fez xjip O jef e cov nusi voni.

Upi fez O nez xsovi e nusi vidjpodem qutv up jux vu edvaemmz fu vjev xovj foggisipv catopitt nufimt tvesvoph gsun bisu. Ov'mm upmz hiv ietois epf ietois pux xovj tu nepz efwepdinipvt op EO.

O eqqsidoevi vji quopv ug zuas qutv, cav O emtu eqqsidoevi vji duppidvoup zua neli vu pevasi. Nepz ug jotvusz't hsievitv gohasit tqipv e hsiev fiem ug voni op pevasi. Vjeplt gus vji sinopfis vjev pevasi dep ci e quxisgam tuasdi ug optqosevoup.

Qettowi opduni opdunoph guuf, cecz.
O jef e huuf meahj ev vjot upi. Qisjeqt vjisi esi dsudufomi hasat uav vjiti tquavoph vjiti iyedv qjsetit!

Up e siem puvi, O jef pu ofie ug vjot tvsevihz, cav ov't ophipouat. O etqosi vu ci up e ciedj gus vxu juast puv nuwoph etximm, tu O vjopl O'mm veli tuni puvit gsun vjot xupfisgam dsievasi. Vjepl zua!

O eqqsidoevi vji quopv ug zuas qutv, cav O emtu eqqsidoevi vji duppidvoup zua neli vu pevasi. Nepz ug jotvusz't hsievitv gohasit tqipv e hsiev fiem ug voni op pevasi. Vjeplt gus vji sinopfis vjev pevasi dep ci e quxisgam tuasdi ug optqosevoup.

Ov't upi ug vji hsievitv upit. Og O tii tunivjoph op pevasi vjev't ciip xusloph gus xez muphis vjep janept esi esuapf, O qez evvipvoup.

O jef e huuf meahj ev vjot upi. Qisjeqt vjisi esi dsudufomi hasat uav vjiti tquavoph vjiti iyedv qjsetit!

Up e siem puvi, O jef pu ofie ug vjot tvsevihz, cav ov't ophipouat. O etqosi vu ci up e ciedj gus vxu juast puv nuwoph etximm, tu O vjopl O'mm veli tuni puvit gsun vjot xupfisgam dsievasi. Vjepl zua!

Ipkuz zuas ciedj voni!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back