The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To anyone feeling discouraged because they live in a small town

Anything related to matters of the mind

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I live in a town of ~8,000 people and there's not much money flowing here.

As I've been working on building my dog-training side hustle that I'm aiming to grow into something bigger, I've felt hindered by where I live at times.

But here are some things that I've come to realize and appreciate. Maybe it will help you too.

Small things get noticed more. Just because I made a website and posted about it in a community Facebook group, a journalist from the local newspaper reached out and did an article on me and my business. This led to a new customer who is so excited for me that they want to help me scale up.

Entities of authority are more accessible. Again, because I made a few Facebook posts, the local university reached out and asked me to give a seminar on what I'm doing in my business. This talk was recorded and now I have something that holds a lot of weight to the general public - I have proof that I'm "good enough" to be invited to speak at a university. I'm also scheduled to give a seminar to the general public and the city council has agreed to let me use the convention center for free - again, I'm being supported by an entity that holds a lot of weight.

People know people. Word of mouth happens faster and even just being recognized on the street is way more likely in a small town. Also, have you heard of the 6 degrees of separation? It's the idea that all people are separated by only six or less social connections. Because I am making connections in this small town, I'm increasing my chances that I'm decreasing my distance from more influential people, more people who want what I have to offer, more people who would be able and willing to pay more, etc. You could be in a small town and be three, two, one connection away from [your favorite millionaire, billionaire].

The Internet - use it. So so many things that used to be done exclusively in person are now possible to do from online. I knew I could make social media content, create online courses, sell products, etc. but there were some things I didn't think were possible to do from online. But I was wrong! My main mentor lives on a different continent. My website support friend lives on yet another continent. I helped one of my early clients virtually from 2,000 miles away.

Less distraction, more nature. There's almost nothing to do here. There's a single screen movie theater and a couple of breweries - that's literally about it. We have two grocery stores and one of them is Walmart. No temptation to go out every weekend, and no need to drive to various stores to get what I need (or don't need). Nature is so accessible. It's easy to get out for a trail run or hike or bike ride or go rock climbing. Getting into nature is so relaxing and invigorating and inspiring and it's just so good for you.

For now I'm in this tiny town, but maybe one day I'll move somewhere I like better and I'll have this tiny town to thank for helping me get there.

Anyway, hope this helps other small town dwellers not feel so stuck and isolated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
With the Internet, it makes no difference where you live.

And from my perspective, it's advantageous to live in a smaller city, town, or in the countryside (assuming the same Internet speed and reliability).

There are many reasons why but the most important ones are lower cost of living, more space, (usually) more safety, and (usually) a healthier environment with cleaner air and less noise. This leads to lower stress and less pressure, both of which help to be more productive.

I know that some people say that living in a big city with lots of energy fuels them but for me it's like being in a prison. With the Internet you can still connect with people (so you get that benefit of a big city) but you don't live in a shoe box for $5000 a month and have non-existent access to nature (which for me is one of the most important aspects of a great place to live).

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
Ah, this reminds me of those feel-good Hallmark flicks I used to watch and love.

Small town setup, everybody knows your name (at the least, who you are), coming together to save a local business, etc.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
With the Internet, it makes no difference where you live.

And from my perspective, it's advantageous to live in a smaller city, town, or in the countryside (assuming the same Internet speed and reliability).

There are many reasons why but the most important ones are lower cost of living, more space, (usually) more safety, and (usually) a healthier environment with cleaner air and less noise. This leads to lower stress and less pressure, both of which help to be more productive.

I know that some people say that living in a big city with lots of energy fuels them but for me it's like being in a prison. With the Internet you can still connect with people (so you get that benefit of a big city) but you don't live in a shoe box for $5000 a month and have non-existent access to nature (which for me is one of the most important aspects of a great place to live).
For me, the biggest hurdle with relying so heavily on the Internet was that being new to the entrepreneurial mindset I was focusing on problems around me, and while I saw a lot of areas needing improving in this place, I also felt most people wouldn't care or wouldn't be able to afford whatever it is I was thinking of. I also already sit behind my computer for my 9-to-5 and at the time I couldn't see how I could possibly help people with dog training/wellness from a distance. I also hadn't spent much time on forums or groups, so it was like being an awkward kid again learning how to start conversations and make connections virtually.

I agree with you on the other points too - the dollar definitely goes further here, I hate feeling closed in by high rises and not seeing a single tree for blocks upon blocks, and it is generally safer here though it's not the safest place I've ever lived.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.