The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

What can you learn from Valve on iteratively providing value?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Valve Corporation is an American video game company known for massive successes like the Steam marketplace, the Half-life Series, Team Fortress, Portal, and much more. It is a private company founded by Gabe Newell & Mike Harrington in 1996. Being private it is hard to get exact numbers but it is estimated to worth $XX billion dollars.

Now I am not a big video game kind of person these days but one could stop and wonder - what leads to so many of Valve's releases being absolutely adored by fans (and raking in $$$)? Surely we see everybody and their mother making video games these days with things like Unity and Unreal engines making the process so streamlined and app stores gladly taking a cut to help distribute said games - what is different with Valve? How, as not one the "big guys" like EA, Nintendo, or Ubisoft, have they managed to carve out such a nice chunk of the market?

The following video proposes that the key to this is an obsession on making things quickly and getting feedback quickly.

In one part of the video it even says a group of game developers pitched Valve the demo of what was to become the Portal video game. Valve hired the whole team and tasked them with rewriting it in their engine and within the Half-life game universe. But here is the kicker..... the team got started and Valve made them playtest it (let non-developers play it and provide feedback) within one week of starting! They didn't even have more than one room of the game done at that time!

So my question is - how can we better apply these principles to our own businesses folks?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Valve Corporation is an American video game company known for massive successes like the Steam marketplace, the Half-life Series, Team Fortress, Portal, and much more. It is a private company founded by Gabe Newell & Mike Harrington in 1996. Being private it is hard to get exact numbers but it is estimated to worth $XX billion dollars.

Now I am not a big video game kind of person these days but one could stop and wonder - what leads to so many of Valve's releases being absolutely adored by fans (and raking in $$$)? Surely we see everybody and their mother making video games these days with things like Unity and Unreal engines making the process so streamlined and app stores gladly taking a cut to help distribute said games - what is different with Valve? How, as not one the "big guys" like EA, Nintendo, or Ubisoft, have they managed to carve out such a nice chunk of the market?

The following video proposes that the key to this is an obsession on making things quickly and getting feedback quickly.

In one part of the video it even says a group of game developers pitched Valve the demo of what was to become the Portal video game. Valve hired the whole team and tasked them with rewriting it in their engine and within the Half-life game universe. But here is the kicker..... the team got started and Valve made them playtest it (let non-developers play it and provide feedback) within one week of starting! They didn't even have more than one room of the game done at that time!

So my question is - how can we better apply these principles to our own businesses folks?

Seems like a revised version of Act, Assess, Adjust ... now Act, Playtest, Assess, Adjust.

random_username

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2024
Now I am not a big video game kind of person these days but one could stop and wonder - what leads to so many of Valve's releases being absolutely adored by fans (and raking in $$$)?
Because they can kill 999 projects and 1 can survive to be a hit. Other game companies don't have that luxury, either because of cash or because of shareholder greed. Games are incredibly hard and costly to make. Even getting a one game, in whatever state out, is worthy of utmost respect. Valve is a marketplace that is richer than god and is a private company which allows it to do whatever they want.

I like Valve, and I think what Valve did with Steam Deck is going to be an absolute game changer for desktop industry. It's the second or third domino that will start the fall of rotten core that is Windows operating system. But they are not a game company first and foremost, they are a marketplace. If anything, that is the most important lesson we can all learn from Valve, get incredibly rich with your own business and stay in and around it, so you do things your own way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.