What's new

What I Learned This Summer Is...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
This summer I learned a lot of stuff. Some of it was knowledge that I sought out, some of it was things I never thought I would learn over the summer. Some I knew that I needed, some was life lessons. I did a lot this summer: lots of stuff with music (I play a lot of percussion and drums), and lots of less successful stuff with "business".

And I thought it would be a great idea if I put all my thoughts down here.

So without further ado, in no particular order, here's what I learned this summer:

1. Affiliate marketing is not a "fastlane" plan.

First off, I wasn't even making a lot via affiliate marketing, and it's "riding", not "driving" a fastlane. Yet I was spending almost ALL OF MY TIME there!

2. I will never, ever, ever, want to have a J-O-B.

Maybe this sounds lazy, maybe egotistical, maybe selfish, I'm not sure. But every time over the summer that I started doing internet marketing work for OTHER people (quotes for potential clients, simple optimization tasks, etc.) I absolutely HATED it. I hated everything that resembled a job. So this means I better get my *!$% together before I graduate college, cause I ain't gettin' no job.

3. What I really want to do is start my own business/startup.

All the things I enjoyed about internet marketing was the part where I was acting like a real entrepreneur and not just an affiliate. So startups, here I come.

4. I can get cool shoes cheaply.

One of my major goals was once I got all this money I wanted to buy these expensive shoes that Nike made that were designed by electronic music artists that I liked. I got shoes that were just as cool for $14 and $55 at FamousFootwear. My friends love them.

5. When I overschedule myself, instead of stressing out, I totally shut down and do nothing.

This has been a MAJOR problem for me. Because I have all these people who are counting on me doing things for them or us or their organization or our organization, and I just do nothing instead. So there's a few parts to this. 1 is get organized. 2 is STOP OVERSCHEDULING. and 3 is that I need to do a little work on my productivity/workflow. And I have been doing that. (Side note: Eben Pagan's Wake Up Productive is a GREAT course)

6. I waste too much time on self-improvement products and methods and "manifestation".

So I did away with a lot of that trash. Instead I've been listening to some of Tony Robbin's stuff, just on the weekends after homework is done, etc. I think he's a no-nonsense guy with some great ideas, and I find him pretty inspiring to get me to DO stuff, not just sit around and listen to more of his tapes!

7. My sleep schedule is outta whack.

Did some research on that one, got into a more healthy sleep schedule and started good habits for sleep (such as sleeping in a cooler environment, taking naps, getting 8 hours every night).

8. I get overwhelmed with internet marketing stuff. I need help.

So I started a project that is currently just a blog, but I want to make it a business by starting a community and making our own products and stuff. I recruited a few friends to help with both writing content and doing internet marketing stuff. They're not even in it for the money, they just want a good way to spend their time and maybe some recognition for the stuff they're teaching. ( School Destroyer | Get Better Grades, in Less Time, with Less Stress! is what we're doing, shameless plug ).

9. My local police and school administration know nothing about the internet.

This is a story for another time. Don't worry, it's nothing bad!

10. Taking action is very necessary

DUH.

11. I should start investing my money and get it out of this darn 0.0001% earning "Young Savers" Account that my dad still has to sign the withdrawals for. Stupid TD Bank.

My church synod actually sells loan certificates that pay 3.24% on a 5-year certificate. Since I don't have enough PRACTICAL knowledge in other areas of investing, or enough time, or enough desire when it comes to REI, it seems like the best place to start. I'm putting in $500 so at least I can do SOMETHING, and in the mean time I'll start acquiring knowledge re: other stuff.

12. School (even though this is junior year, supposed to be the hardest, most stressful, most important, etc., especially at our competitive HS) is so totally manageable! - it's AWESOME!

I've been spending less time on homework this year then I have since 8th grade! I know some pretty effective study methods now, found a neat application for OSX called "Schoolhouse" which helps me organize, prioritize, and complete my assignments, and now I'm getting 8 hours of sleep a night and time to work on this SchoolDestroyer project/business.

13. I need to learn more about management and leadership.

When it comes to being section leader of the drumline in marching band, I'm pretty good at leading the other kids there, mostly because they respect me because I'm a good percussionist. However, even though I have this group of kids working with me on the SchoolDestroyer site, and they DO do the work most of the time, it's tough to motivate them and make sure everything gets done timely. So on my list of more things to learn about: investing and management.

14. I hate sucking up to colleges.

"My College App Essay, by: Joe Schmoe. When I was supreme dictator of my boy scout troop, I really learned about leadership because I was forced to lead a large group of kids and show that I was responsible and trustworthy. I participated in 9 bajillion extracurriculars at my school and also won the J. R. Stupidpants Scholastic Russian Competition".

15. There's lots of stuff I'd like to do in life.

Be a DJ, even if only once or twice, own/drive an Audi, play in a Phil Collins cover band, be tagged a "thought leader" (i think that's a cool term and/or job), own vintage keyboards and synthesizers and learn how to play them, teach a band in a public school, stuff like that. (also I just noticed the ones I listed are almost all music related :P )

And that's what I can think of right now.

In my head, I hear you guys saying this:

"WHAT'S YOUR PLAN?!?!?!?!" (especially Russ :P )

Honestly, I don't know right now. I feel like there's a lot of variables. What am I going to go to college for? Most likely music or entrepreneurship, learning towards entrepreneurship. Not for marketing- that seems like a j-o-b degree, but what do I know? Where do I want to go to college? Is this schooldestroyer project going to work? (I'm pretty determined to make it work, but is this market fo real? I see commercial indicators, but still...) Where should I invest my money? Should I learn about stocks? Forex? Buying websites/businesses? Something else entirely?

etc.

Anyways. That's what I learned this summer. It causes as many questions and new things to learn as it was lessons learned and questions answered. I'd appreciate any thoughts or insight or tips you guys have. thanks ya'll.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Huuf madl!

uj, epf e duaqmi uvjis vjopht O katv vjuahjv ug

16. O'n huppe jewi vu hiv xez nusi ushepobif gus xjip vey voni dunit esuapf

Nz qeqisxusl/sidusft esi emm uwis vji qmedi. O'wi ciip vissocmi ecuav vsedloph iyqiptit vjev O dep xsovi ugg mevis, epf O'n emtu huoph vu piif vu duni aq xovj e nadj nusi ushepobif tztvin gus cepl tvevinipvt, sidioqvt, liiqoph vsedl ug xjisi o'n tqipfoph nz nupiz, ivd.

17. Vjisi esi tu nepz vjopht o'f moli vu miesp/cuult o'f moli vu sief

O xipv vu nz mudem mocsesz e duaqmi vonit uwis vji tannis epf iedj voni xemlif uav ug vjisi xovj e huuf 20 cuult up vuqodt gsun nupiz vu opwitvoph vu miefistjoq vu ipvsiqsipiastjoq vu veyit, ivd. O'n katv huoph vu jewi vu veli vjopht upi cuul ev e voni. Ov't emtu onqusvepv vu EQQMZ vji tvagg O'n siefoph.

18. O siemmz piif vu tvesv pivxusloph nusi epf hivvoph vu iwipvt.

Emvjuahj O dep'v iwip duni vu C&Q vjot zies cideati ug e dupdisv vuas ug Tqeop (puv vuu vuu cef ug e vsefiugg), O siemmz piif vu tvesv evvipfoph iwipvt epf xusltjuqt epf niivoph qiuqmi op nz opfatvsz. O sidipvmz sief e hsiev cuul demmif "Jux vu Ci e Johj Tdjuum Taqistves" cz Dem Pixqusv, xju't e taqisc eavjus, epf ji vumf e tvusz ug upi hosm penif Kittode xju fof emm tusvt ug eneboph tvagg cz niivoph qiuqmi op vji vidj opfatvsz: tji ipfif aq duppidvoph xovj epf niivoph xovj vji guapfist ug dunqepoit moli Siffov, Katvop.vw, QCxolo/QCxuslt, ivd. epf vjip huv opwovif vu e VIF Dupgisipdi epf iwiszvjoph. Vjev tuapft qsivvz exituni, tu og O'f moli vu hiv duppidvoupt moli vjev, O civvis tvesv pux.

epf vjev't emm O huv gus pux. Nezci o'mm vjopl ug nusi vjopht mevis, cideati iwisz voni O vjopl ug upi ug vjiti, ov howit ni e movvmi fosidvoup up xjev vu fu piyv.

O xetvi vuu nadj voni up timg-onqsuwinipv qsufadvt epf nivjuft epf "nepogitvevoup".

Fup'v ci tu jesf up zuastimg, xjip zua sief vjot tvagg, uwis epf uwis, ov cidunit ophseopif opvu zuas qztdji epf cidunit e mogitvzmi. Et vjiz tez, siqivovoup ot vji nuvjis ug tlomm.

1. O tjuamf tvesv opwitvoph nz nupiz epf hiv ov uav ug vjot fesp 0.0001% iespoph "Zuaph Tewist"

Vjot ot ep opvihsem qesv ug Getvmepi tvsevihz topdi vji huem/fitvopevoup ug Getvmepi tadditt ot qettowi opduni gsun opvisitv ep fowofipft. O tvomm ipkuz zoimft op vji 4-6% sephi.

2. O xomm piwis, iwis, iwis, xepv vu jewi e K-U-C.

Vjot ot molimz vu ciduni zuas qsonesz qettoup fsowis -- O lpux ov xet nopi.

1. Eggomoevi neslivoph ot puv e "getvmepi" qmep.

Vjot dep ci ficevif topdi eggomoevi neslivoph fuit opfiif woumevi vji dunnepfnipvt -- juxiwis, ov fuit tevotgz vji nutv onqusvepv dunnepfnipv ug emm ug 5 ... xjodj? Je, Omm katv miewi ov ev vjev et vji eptxis ot op nz cuul.

Vjeplt gus vjot exituni qutv! Tqiif+Vjeplt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom