The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What problems did you face while having your first website built?

Nightwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Mar 15, 2023
I am in the process of starting a web design company and am currently conducting research to better understand the needs of my target audience. As part of my research, I have analyzed my competitors, identified their strengths and weaknesses, and pinpointed my target audience: those who need their first website built.
To ensure that my services meet the needs of my target audience, I am interested in hearing from everyone here who has had their first website built or is in the process of doing so. If you have had experience with having a website built, I would greatly appreciate your input. What challenges or issues did you encounter during the process?
Did the development of your website take longer than expected? Were you satisfied with the customer service and support you received from your web design company? Did the final website design meet your requirements and expectations? Were the costs associated with the web design services too high?
I value any and all feedback that you can provide and will use this information to shape the services I offer and ensure that they meet the needs of my target audience. Thank you in advance for your input.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Your biggest problem as a web designer is going to be getting in front of people who are looking for a web designer.

You gonna make a freelancer account on something like upwork? Good luck.

You gonna hit up your friends and family?

You gonna send cold emails to business owners?

Cold calling?

That’s the greatest skill: getting in front of people. Attention is gold. That will be your biggest problem if you want to stay busy and make good money. If you had NO skills other than getting in front of people and generating leads, you would be better than 99% of web designers in a business sense.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I am in the process of starting a web design company and am currently conducting research to better understand the needs of my target audience. As part of my research, I have analyzed my competitors, identified their strengths and weaknesses, and pinpointed my target audience: those who need their first website built.
To ensure that my services meet the needs of my target audience, I am interested in hearing from everyone here who has had their first website built or is in the process of doing so. If you have had experience with having a website built, I would greatly appreciate your input. What challenges or issues did you encounter during the process?
Did the development of your website take longer than expected? Were you satisfied with the customer service and support you received from your web design company? Did the final website design meet your requirements and expectations? Were the costs associated with the web design services too high?
I value any and all feedback that you can provide and will use this information to shape the services I offer and ensure that they meet the needs of my target audience. Thank you in advance for your input.
Not a problem but a value skew I had with @Cojo

He added a function to my site and then he also made me a nice step by step pdf guide on how to implement the code.

Such a personalized step by step guide could make your customers experience much easier.

Nightwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Mar 15, 2023
You gonna make a freelancer account on something like upwork? Good luck.
No
You gonna hit up your friends and family?
No
You gonna send cold emails to business owners?
Yes
Cold calling?
Yes
That’s the greatest skill: getting in front of people. Attention is gold.
I also plan to leverage my network to conduct initial case studies; however, I have not yet finalized the marketing medium. My foremost objective is to identify the issues confronting my target audience, integrate corresponding solutions into my USP, and then initiate marketing activities. By effectively pinpointing the pain points of my intended audience and demonstrating the efficacy of my solution, I anticipate garnering significant attention and engagement.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Apr 24, 2016
You're looking at it from a "How can I sell my web design service?" point of view.

With this mentality, your sales calls will probably be just you pitching your services. They will essentially be a monologue. And your prospects will ghost you next time.

Why?

'Cuz, you know, all you did was talk about how you're going to create the best website for them with the best design and functionality and etc...

The thing is, you might think you're being "you-focused" by talking about this stuff but this actually has NOTHING to do with their business and everything to do with the services you offer. And that's not how you get clients.

"OK, so what do I do then?"

Start operating from a "How can I get more sales FOR my clients USING my web design service?" mindset.

By doing so, your sales calls will be a conversation during which you will qualify your prospects by getting to know about their business, their successes, their problems, and IF there's an opportunity for you to add value to them with your web design service.

Nightwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Mar 15, 2023
I feel you're overthinking this. You don't need to do all this market research or come up with a USP.

Just start? Let everyone in your network know you're building websites and ask if they know anyone who needs one?

These might help:
I found those posts helpful, but I still have some doubts. How can I find clients beyond my network if I don't have a USP? Why would they choose me over someone else? I feel like I don't have much to offer without a USP. Also, wouldn't it be wrong to start a business without knowing what my customers really need? I don't want to do something just because I know how to do it, but because people actually need it. (Commandment of Need)

I'm a bit confused, to be honest. Can I get clients without a USP? I've noticed some companies that don't seem to have a clear USP, but they still manage to attract clients. How do they do it?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I found those posts helpful, but I still have some doubts.
Try "I found those posts helpful, AND I still have some doubts."

So a thought like:
  • "I'd like to get clients but I don't have a USP."
becomes:
  • "I'd like to get clients and I don't have a USP."
One way of thinking stops your brain dead, the other presents your brain a challenge to solve.

These might help:

How can I find clients beyond my network if I don't have a USP? Why would they choose me over someone else?
Because they know you?
Because someone they know knows you?
Because you're in front of them and they need it?

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iaVpqiUETl8?feature=share

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/xYEEhRyF1qA?feature=share

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZuvJ7HWhU2c?feature=share

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
No

No

Yes

Yes

I also plan to leverage my network to conduct initial case studies; however, I have not yet finalized the marketing medium. My foremost objective is to identify the issues confronting my target audience, integrate corresponding solutions into my USP, and then initiate marketing activities. By effectively pinpointing the pain points of my intended audience and demonstrating the efficacy of my solution, I anticipate garnering significant attention and engagement.
I don't think all these are necessary. It would be better if you create some free or low pay websites to build your portfolio and you will also get to learn about the niche along the way. This is what I'm currently doing.

TeeJay_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 4, 2023
My reply is probably not directly related to your question but I must share what I witnessed. I know someone close to me who is a web developer who creates websites, and the way he got customers fast when he created his business was to spend all day online (Facebook, etc), and reply to people having questions in conversations. It made him look like an expert in the field (which he really is).

Everytime people would ask "how can I implement this function, is this possible, what's wrong with my code" etc., he would reply with a correct answer.

Eventually, these people are going to ask "oh thanks for your reply...do you think you can take a look at my request and build something for me?".

He did have 10 years of experience and a big portfolio too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.