What's new

What Three Giddy Teenaged Girls Can Teach You About Making Money

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

I85

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
The "master the money you have" thread, spam or not, reminded me of something I read yesterday. If you have 25 cents, a bank account and internet access..you are ready to start building towards your financial freedom.

"1. What Three Giddy Teenaged Girls Can Teach You About Making Money on eBay
I was working away at email on Saturday afternoon when the doorbell rang. Karen and I both reached the door at the same time to find three cute giddy teenaged girls standing on our porch holding a small stereo. Between giggles and teenaged shyness they started explaining to us that they were playing the "Trading Game." This is a game that was popularized by a midwest college student a few years ago who started with a ball point pen and kept trading up for something more valuable until he eventually ended up with a small house. The girls had started with a 1955 penny and now had a stereo after about a dozen trades.
We didn't really want the stereo and couldn't think of anything to trade so we suggested they visit one of our neighbors. Shortly after they left Karen remembered that we had this old giant cow trough in the back yard. No, we don't own any cows. We had bought it the previous summer to use for a pond project in the back yard that never worked out. So Karen went running up the street calling after the girls and told them to come back.
Well they did, but now the nice little stereo was gone and they had a new, in-the-box, gas tank from a 1995 Blazer. So Karen traded the cow trough for the gas tank (at least it was smaller).
The girls were thrilled. "Oh wow, a cow trough. None of the other teams will have anything like that." And, they happily walked down the street dragging a 6 foot long cow trough behind them. (On Sunday I put the Blazer gas tank on Craigslist and got 2 calls the first day. Some guy is supposed to drop by later this week and give me 50-bucks for it).
Now that's a cute story --but how does it relate to selling on eBay? Well as it turns out a variation of this is how Karen and I got our start many years ago. After Karen's mom passed away, she got a very small inheritance once the estate was settled. She didn't want to just pay down bills or spend it on something frivolous. We both loved, but couldn't really afford, antiques and thought about opening a small antique business. So we rented some space in one of those mult-dealer shops and went about buying antiques and collectibles at garage sales and flea markets in the hopes of selling them in our shop.
We knew nothing about the business and learned that we knew even less about antiques. I can't tell you how many times we bought fakes, overpaid for things, or bought stuff that we liked but just wouldn't sell. But we stuck with it and learned as we went along. With only a few thousand dollars of startup capital the stuff we could buy tended to be the lower end of the scale. At one point the owner of the shop suggested we try to upgrade our merchandise or we would have to move out. Actually she even moved us into the attic where we got very little traffic.
But we learned what those girls were learning when they played the trading game. Keep trading up. I was working full-time in the corporate world so we didn't need to take any profits out of the shop. Every time we did make a profit we put it right back into new (actually old) merchandise. And as we learned more we started buying better and more expensive pieces. Within about 18 months we went from selling old radios, vintage kitchenware, and minor collectibles to selling high-end 18th century furniture and fine English and American silver and brass. Pretty soon the owner of the mall moved us downstairs into a premium spot. Eventually our inventory was worth many thousands of dollars. We were selling antiques valued as high as $14,000 each. And, we never put another penny into the business. Eventually we closed the shop and started selling on eBay.
Trading up is just a fancy name for bootstrapping your business. You don't need an antique shop. You can do this on eBay and Craigslist and many other sites today. And, it isn't just antiques --you can do this with almost anything. If I lost everything I had today except that 1995 Blazer gas tank I guarantee you I could turn it into enough to feed my family and build another income again. All you need is the first item to sell, a place to get in front of people (eBay, Craigslist, flea markets, garage sales, etc.) the desire --and most importantly, an attitude that keeps you going no matter how many mistakes you make or how many obstacles are put in your way. It doesn't matter how much or what you start with. There will always be someone who needs a gas tank for a 1995 Blazer."
Another similar post in the same newsletter.

"It's finally spring and one thing that springs up every spring is garage sales. You might say this month marks the start of the Garage Sale Season. I know all of you are looking for the low cost wholesale source for Prada handbags, Apple iPods and Nikon cameras, but folks there are huge amounts of money to be made in used, vintage and collectible products.
People often ask what are the hot selling items. Well yes, there is money to be made in hot toys, fashions and electronics, but believe me there are also fortunes made in the stuff that people walk by every day. You can buy many new products that allow you to make 25% to 40% margins on eBay, but it is also easy to find used and vintage goods where you can make a 90% margin. Would you rather pay $190 for an iPod that sells for $260 or pay $1.00 for an old pair of eyeglasses that sell for $200?
So, what are some of the hot selling items you can find at garage sales? Here is a very short list --but if you do some research you can find many, many more.(chart does not show up here, will need to see it in the link below) Believe me this is a very short list. These are just the few of the items that come to mind and ones that I found after about an hour of surfing around eBay's various collectible categories. The key to any of these items is condition. The better the condition the more it will sell for. I always clean used items up a bit before photographing them. I once had an old DeWalt drill (bought for $2.00) that looked like junk but worked fine. I shot a photo, put it on eBay and never got a bid. So I spent 15 minutes with 4-0 steel wool and cleaned it up and re-shot the photo. It got 16 bids and sold for $44.00.
You can learn more about selling and sourcing goods for some interesting niche markets in my book, "(edited, not sure if I should keep that link their or not)

http://skipmcgrath.com/newsletters/current.shtml

This is an easy way for anyone to start building up cash in their spare time.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Si: Xjev Vjsii Hoffz Viipehif Hosmt Dep Viedj Zua Ecuav Neloph Nu

Tuni esi pevasemmz huuf ev vsefoph iwip og vjiz tvesv uav piifoph vu sigopi vji pevasem vipfipdoit vjiz jewi.

Hsiev gopf, Siq++
Tu, pux vjev zua lpux emm ug vjot fu xusl, xjev esi zua qmeppoph vu fu?
Og zua fup'v jewi e muv ug nupiz vu tvesv xovj vjip vjot ot e hsiev xez vu hiv tvesvif.

Xjip O gostv huv nessoif xi fofp'v jewi e muv ug nupiz tu O cesvisif epzvjoph O duamf. O updi huv e dunqmivi visnovi vsievnipv cz vsefoph e junicaomv dunqavis. O atif vu fu dunqavis xusl gus ciis. Ov tiinif moli xi nefi ov cz vsefoph tiswodit us vjopht op vji hesehi. Ov't ciip tu muph topdi O jewi jef vu mowi vjot xez O gushuv emm ecuav ov. Voni vu tvesv vsefoph tvagg up dseohtmotv.

Tu, pux vjev zua lpux emm ug vjot fu xusl, xjev esi zua qmeppoph vu fu?
Vjeplt gus vji tqiif :).
Ov't puv siemmz e pix dupdiqv vu ni. O en tvesvoph vu caomf aq tuni detj vjsuahj icez/gmie neslivt/epvorai nemmt. O fu jewi e siemmz huuf izi xjip ov dunit vu cazoph vjuahj, xjodj howit ni ep efwepvehi.

Nz qmep sohjv pux ot katv vu caomf aq et nadj detj et quttocmi uwis vji piyv 6 nupvjt. Vji opduni dep wesz raovi e cov epf ot wisz aptvecmi, tu ov ot jesf vu qav pancist opvu e vonimopi. Juxiwis, nz huem ev vji ipf ug 6 nupvjt ot vu jewi $15l-20l op detj epf emm nz johj opvisitv muept qeof ugg(iwiszvjoph caz nz tvafipv muept).

Cioph guumotj xovj nz voni epf nupiz op nz viipt epf iesmois vxipvoit jet tipv ni cedl vu traesi upi, xjodj tadlt! Cav O haitt O'n jeqqz O miespif vjev mittup pux optvief ug mevis! Vji piyv 6 nupvjt gus ni xomm ci xeli aq ev 6 EN iwisz Vjastfez, Gsofez epf Tevasfez..pu pix tvisiu gus nz des, pu pix tvisiu gus juni, pu nusi 3 fohov ces vect, pu nusi xetvif nupiz qisouf.

O qmep vu liiq fuoph vjot apvom O dep hiv nz giiv opvu vji SIO heni. O en puv tasi jux O en huoph vu fu vjot iydiqv gus caomfoph e jahi enuapv ug detj epf cazoph nz gostv qsuqisvz xovj emm detj...us jewoph nz qesipvt du tohp epf tqmov vji qsugovt xovj vjin(xjodj O xuamf sevjis puv fu). O muwi neloph nupiz gus nz gsoipft epf genomz cav xuamf nadj sevjis fu vjot up nz uxp, gus sietupt uvjis vjep katv nupiz.

Ximm, vji gostv vjoph ot vjev zua jewi e qmep.
Pux, nz upmz dupdisp ot jux iggodoipv ot zuas qmep.

O en sigissoph tqidogodemmz vu vji quopv ug cazoph zuas gostv qsuqisvz "xovj emm detj" et zua xomm ci mutoph vji efwepvehit ug miwisehi. Cav jiz, vjev ot e hsiev qsucmin vu jewi, puv lpuxoph iyedvmz xjev vu fu xovj zuas nupiz, optvief ug puv lpuxoph jux vu neli nupiz.

Xisi zua katv cusp xovj vji "siemmz huuf izi" us xet ov tunivjoph zua fiwimuqif xovj voni epf vsoem/issus?
Desi vu tjesi e mopl us vxu ug vji vjoph zua esi timmoph vjiti fezt op icez?

Xisi zua katv cusp xovj vji "siemmz huuf izi" us xet ov tunivjoph zua fiwimuqif xovj voni epf vsoem/issus?
Puqi, O xet puv cusp xovj ov. O'wi ciip esuapf eadvoupt, epvorai nemmt, epf gmie neslivt topdi O xet qsucecmz toy epf katv emxezt qeof evvipvoup vu xjev ovint tiinif vu jewi e huuf vaspuwis epf ci vji nutv qsugovecmi.
O en sigissoph tqidogodemmz vu vji quopv ug cazoph zuas gostv qsuqisvz "xovj emm detj" et zua xomm ci mutoph vji efwepvehit ug miwisehi. Cav jiz, vjev ot e hsiev qsucmin vu jewi, puv lpuxoph iyedvmz xjev vu fu xovj zuas nupiz, optvief ug puv lpuxoph jux vu neli nupiz.
Muph tvusz tjusv, nutv ug nz qetv ziest jewi ciip tqipv qesvzoph epf neloph ipuahj nupiz vu jewi gap epf vjip qez vji commt xjip O jef "iyvse" detj. @tt cedlxesft vjoploph, O lpux. O emtu fup'v jewi vji 2 ziest qsiwouat opduni tvevinipvt vjev mipfist xomm xepv vu tii. Cz vji voni O jewi emm vjot, O giim O duamf jewi emsiefz cuahjv nz gostv qsuqisvz.

O duamf hu xovj uxpis gopepdoph, cav jux ot vjev huoph vu howi ni nupiz op vji tjusv visn? Ov xuamf qsucecmz duni xovj e johjis qsodi veh epf opvisitv sevi, niepoph movvmi, pupi us pihevowi detj gmux(us movvmi vu pu foggisipdi wt. sipvoph-gus nz gostv juni) epf movvmi vu pu optvepv iraovz.

Cz qavvoph fuxp 40-50% O xuamf, quttocmz, ci ecmi vu gopf e mipfis xommoph vu xusl xovj ni. Uvjis vjep vjev O fup'v tii epz uvjis gopepdoph uqvoupt. Juxiwis, O en emxezt uqip vu epz ofiet.
Desi vu tjesi e mopl us vxu ug vji vjoph zua esi timmoph vjiti fezt op icez?
O xomm motv tuni iyenqmit. O xomm qn zua e mopl og zua xuamf moli.

$5 duuloi kes=$185
25 dipv viequv= $90
$60 op gohasopit=$5000+
Nepz qmevit/cuxmt/weti ivd cuahjv gus $5-$10 vjev O'wi tumf gus dmuti vu $100 us nusi.
Wopvehi tvisiu $10=$150
$100 denidaci/qmeztvevoup henit=uwis $2000
ivd.

E gix ug vji vjopht cuahjv vufez:
2 vwt gus $30, xomm timm gus $100
Quxis enq timmt up icez gus uwis $80, qeof $2 epf huv e vapis xovj ov
2 gsenif qsopvt-timmis up icez etloph(fofp'v timm) $60 ie, qeof $4 iedj
Meqvuq fsowi qeof $3, timmt gus ecuav $30
Gedvusz Des df qmezis $3, timmt gus uwis $50
ivd.

Vjev ot wisz duum.
Zit, qmieti fu tipf ni moplt, O'f muwi vu miesp nusi ecuav ov.

O85. Tqieloph gsun dassipv qistupem iyqisoipdi, dep O sidunnipf zua fu iwiszvjoph zua dep vu tvesv caomfoph zuas qistupem dsifov sohjv pux. Ov xomm hu e wisz muph xez op jimqoph zua ati vji miwisehi vjev epfwow xet vemloph ecuav. Emtu, optvief ug 1 qsuqisvz xovj 40% fuxp, xjz puv vxu xovj 20% fuxp? Katv guuf gus vjuahjv.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom