The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

What UNSCRIPTED Can Teach Copywriters ..

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day by day. Chapter by chapter .. I'm reading Unscripted a little at a time. And it occurred to me as I read there's more to learn from the book than what you take from the core message. It's something a lot of copywriters (or wannabe copywriters) could benefit from.

It's MJ's writing style.

The book has high ratings. A lot of people absorb into Unscripted like water to a sponge. Pulled like gravity toward a message that relates. So I wanted to talk about a few key elements I've noticed so far (bear in mind I'm only about 8 chapters deep) that can help you write better copy.

1. EVERY SENTENCE TELLS A MINI-STORY

Pay close attention to every word and every line, you start to notice a pattern. Notice how the words weave and flow like a Viper hugs curves at Nuremberg. Every sentence is a piece of the bigger puzzle. A mini-story within the story. As you read, (unless you listen) images form in your mind with every line. And the more you get into the book, the more the picture comes to life. Soon you don't just relate to MJ's words. You live his words, because it tells your story, and that's why you're compelled to break free.

2. EVERY SENTENCE IS FOR A SPECIFIC GROUP OF PEOPLE

Unscripted doesn't read quite like TMF . It's more sophisticated. More complex. The ideas and metaphors seem targeted toward an older audience. An aging audience who's sick of corporate prisons and life's traditional paths. Doesn't mean younger guys can't get something from it. But the audience is HIGHLY targeted and for that reason, Unscripted isn't scattered and all over the place. Instead, the message is tight, agitating reader pains like a thumb pressed into a bullet wound. It's the difference between a "spray and pray" machine gunner and a "one shot one kill" sniper. MJ is a sniper.

3. IT'S SUBTLE AND DOESN'T TRY TO SELL YOU

Unscripted isn't a direct response sales letter. There's no "Click Here for My Forum" or "Buy Membership Now!" (At least through CH. 8) Instead, copy tactics fly under the radar. Persuasive techniques abound, but they're hidden under an invisibility cloak. For instance, when MJ first mentions the forum, there's no link. It doesn't need one. It's just a seed. Planted in your mind so you can think about it later. Unscripted is like food for the starving man who's adapted to being hungry. He doesn't realize how hungry he is until he takes the first bite, then another, and another, and soon what was empty is now full. This isn't just about being subtle, it's about not having to push the sale because the material, like food, is valuable.

There's a lot budding copywriters can learn from Unscripted . Copy isn't just about persuasion and direction. It considers the audience and their story -- the one they want to read, and the one they secretly tell themselves on the inside. It hits home because it's truth, and it shows a path to something greater.

Anyway, I thought it might be a cool discussion.
So what else can you learn from Unscripted about copy? Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Each and every story are backed by FACTS.
SCRIPTED bullshit on investing? Backed up not only by the Iggy Investor tale, but also with utopian chart comparisons and the Anton and Muhammad Islam news fiascos.

UNSCRIPTED business mechanisms? Uses Likwid, Vigilante and Biophase (I think he's the guy who MJ mentioned in the Amazon discussions) who are real life Fastlaners whose stories are available at the forum. Even cites them in the appendix.

Copy works very well with facts that have cause and effect. It's solid validation consumers can trust. These days people are bombarded by lots of information, so they tend to be more selective these days.

I'm glad MJ took the time to write UNSCRIPTED rather than just be like the RDPD books...I regret I bought Retire Rich, Retire Young..it was not only fluff, but full of 'hearsay'. Very little hard facts. Now if only I could toss the damn book into the trash like @Vigilante did with the Galdwell book :playful: That was before TMF though.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
It's solid validation consumers can trust. @Vigilante did with the Galdwell book :playful:

Facts. Real world experience. Validatable content. I think those are really good points. Especially from the coaching side of the house. All these new coaches coming on the seen are told to "teach with case studies" but there's a problem with case studies because they get tossed out there without any proof to back them up.

"Sandy's life completely transformed 2 weeks after working with me."

1. Wtf does that even mean?
2. Sandy will, of course, back this up due to pressure, but would others who know her say the same?
3. Thanks to fake news and certain people in certain positions, vagueness and unverifiable "truths" leave a bad taste in the mouth.
4. MJ's material is literally backed by thousands and thousands of validating statements by people you can actually meet!

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.