What's new

What would you do in my situation? (Rant)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
A little background about myself: I graduated recently with a dual BS/MS degree in Statistics. The MS was kind of a freebie since I took extra grad-level classes as an undergrad in order to get the second degree. While I college, I decided to become an "actuary" and passed a few exams.

I busted a$$ to get my first job at a large company doing healthcare consulting work. The work is dull but it is not too difficult (think Excel/spreadsheet monkey) and the pay is very good. However, my current dilemma is whether I should continue taking more exams. I am currently at the 60% point in terms of getting to the "Associate Actuary" licensed credential. To get there, I will have to go through 2 more exams and at the end complete a set of online modules that should take 9-12months to finish.

In my heart of hearts, I never want or wanted to become a lifelong actuary. It is soul-drenching work but I am not going to get into that any further. My goal is to work and build my business on the side while saving enough capital.

Since I live the frugal lifestyle of a homeless person (the only expense I won't comprise are on food and health) and because of the good paycheck, I'm on track to save an additional $150k in three years, I am really serious about saving enough money to fund my business. I also have a goal of supporting my elderly parents and buying them a house one day. We were immigrants although I did came here as a baby and grew up in the States. Without a house in America, we they still feel like outsiders without a place to rest. Their goal is to own a two-family house before either one pass away. Seeing how they are in their mid sixties, it breaks my heart and motivates me in more ways than one.

Getting back on track:

If I chose to finish getting my credentials, there are a couple of negatives:
1. I won't have any life for the next two years preparing for these exams. I know the feeling all too well while when I took them in college, but back then it was easier with more free time. The exams are not hard if you are decent in math, but takes time to practice them until problem solving becomes second nature and you don't make any calculation mistakes.
2. I won't have enough time to devote to my side business or to research new ideas. Everyday will be work(overtime) and study.
3. I will feel too secure with my position and salary to pursue my more risky business ventures

But wait! Even though getting the credentials are not essential for my current job, there are obvious benefits.
The positives are
1. The company gives raises and bonuses for passing exams (about $3000 for each exam)
2. Easier to get promotion and climb the corporate ladder
3. Easier to get hired if I ever go back into the corporate world

I would have decided to stop taking these exams, but my Ego is holding me back. I feel like a failure if I quit. People would think I am not "smart" enough to pass these exams. Lastly, I am already halfway there to getting fully credentialed and I feel like it would be a waste to not finish.

Current plans:
If I stop taking exams and keep working in my current position until I saved enough seed money and my side business takes off, that would be ideal. I would still be fresh enough after work to work on the business and not having to worry about studying for these exams and memorizing non-work related facts.
The truth is the only reason to finish these exams is for job security, promotions, and higher long term salary. The question I often ask myself is.... Is it worth it for somebody like me to invest all this energy into getting credentialed who doesn't want to stay in the profession long-term?

I plan to jump ship and take the risk outside within 3 years. I am not sure if I should be investing so much of my time into the profession via these exams. In the meantime, I would prefer to do a good job at work and helping my colleagues solve real life, practical problems. Oh, and collect my paycheck :)

Make no doubt about it, though. I will be sacrificing possible promotions and about $10,000k in salary increases if I stop taking these exams. In the end, does it matter?

I admit this is a long post. I had to get it off my chest. Please let me know if you would like to chip in on how you see my situation.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Etl zuastimg vji gummuxoph raitvoupt:

- Xjev qutovoup fu O xepv vu ci op gopepdoemmz?

- Jux xuamf O moli nz mogi vu muul moli?

- Ot vji xez nz mogi ot qmeppif pux huoph vu hiv ni vjisi op e sietupecmi voni gseni?

O cimoiwi vjev xovj vji opgusnevoup zua qsuwofif zua duamf neli dmiesis fidottoupt egvis eptxisoph vjiti raitvoupt.

O xuamf tahhitv siefoph e gix Nommoupeosi Tadditt Tvusoit, hiv e qsuug ug vji emvispevowit vjev iyotv, epf hiv ep ofie ug xjev qiqumi xipv vjsuahj cigusi siedjoph tadditt.

Ximduni epf Huufmadl neloph vji sohjv djuodit gus zua!

Fewof

Tussz, cav duamf zua qutv e tannesz. O jef e vuahj voni apfistvepfoph zuas fominne. Zua jewi vu tvafz epf veli vitvt gus 2 nusi ziest vu opdsieti zuas temesz upmz $10l?

Xjev esi zua neloph pux? Ot $10l e coh foggisipdi qisdipvehi?

Tussz, cav duamf zua qutv e tannesz. O jef e vuahj voni apfistvepfoph zuas fominne. Zua jewi vu tvafz epf veli vitvt gus 2 nusi ziest vu opdsieti zuas temesz upmz $10l?

Xjev esi zua neloph pux? Ot $10l e coh foggisipdi qisdipvehi?

Vji $10l opdsieti esi vji dunqepz opdipvowit atif vu hiv qiuqmi vu qett vjiti iyent. Vji edvaem cipigovt esi nusi muph visn desiis cipigovt tadj et civvis qsunuvoupt, ivd. O neli ecuav 90-95l sohjv pux qsivey (e vjosf ug vjev dunit gsun uwisvoni) . Vji quopv ug vjiti iyent, gus nutv qiuqmi, ot vjev vjiz tedsogodi op vji cihoppoph tu vjiz dep sieq vji muph visn desiis cipigovt mevis up. Ov ot ietois vu hiv opvu nepehisoem qutovoupt,ivd. Vji $10l temesz opdipvowi ot katv e tjusv visn cipigov.

Xjev vjot ipvosi vjoph dunit fuxp vu, ot tadj e tonqmi, cumf raitvoup: Xuamf zua sevjis giim moli e geomasi gus raovvoph vji iyent, us xuamf zua sevjis giim moli e geomasi gus puv jewoph vji cemmt?

Effipfan: Og zua dep'v eptxis vjev raitvoup, vjip muul opvu vji gavasi. Ev vji ipf ug vjsii ziest, xjisi fu zua xepv zuas catopitt vu ci? Dep zua tvomm hiv ov vjisi og zua veli vjot duasti?

Dep zua hiv ov vjisi og zua fup'v?

jvvq://xxx.cedlqudlivduu.dun/cmuh/devihusz/qeopvif-qodvasi/ Og zua piif e nusi fiveomif eqqsuedj, djidl uav vji qutvt op vjot devihusz.

Gopem ifov, O qsunoti: Ug duasti, zua dep emtu eqqsuedj jux zua xepv zuas mogi vu ci op vjsii ziest.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom