• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to Set Up First Office in Canada or U.S. (for NA Business Expansion)

F. Reichwein

New Contributor
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
150%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
Hi everyone,

I have a question about what a good place might be to set up the first North American office of a German company wishing to further its development into Canada and the U.S.

As context:

I am Canadian but have been working in Europe for many years. I have recently been approached by this company wishing to offer me an important business development/management position that quite interests me. I am now being invited to a second interview. The company is into tailoring "Internet of Things" systems for creating next-gen smart buildings: hospitals, schools, skyscrapers, etc. It is pretty well-established, with patents and proven concepts, and has concluded deals with clients accross the world already, but so far, it has only operated out of its German offices and factories, with sales managers going on international prospection/business trips wherever personal meetings were necessary. The company now wishes to set up a permanent HQ office/team in North America.

As preparation for the second interview, I am being asked, among other questions:
"Where on the East Coast or in the Great Lakes region would I set up an office and why?"

Sure I could just wing it - pick any city/town and make a case that it's wonderful for business - but honestly, I admit that I am at a bit of a loss for a good choice of a place. They did tell me there is no need to set up anything in the heart of a big city and that everything would certainly be gradual: first, work from an apartment while a team is being recruited/assembled, then set up a small office, then oversee the construction of more facilities, etc.

Somewhere that makes is equally easy to dispatch someone to New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Montreal or anywhere in-between, I suppose... (that's the initial area being targeted for new clients). In the Western part of New York State perhaps? Or a countryside-ish area somewhere near Toronto? The plan is indeed to engage into business activities in both Canada and the States. Are there matters of taxation or law or business paperwork that make one or the other country more convenient? Again, I am Canadian, but I would not think that work permit and such would be any issue in the context of a company setting up base in the US... or is Canada indeed easier here?

Thanks and regards,

Florian

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
New York City.

As close to Manhattan as economically feasible.

That's where the money is. That's where you should be. Especially if that's the market they want to target. Getting on a plane and flying in is 10x less effective than being there in person and capturing every opportunity you can.

Pix Zusl Dovz.

Et dmuti vu Nepjevvep et idupunodemmz gietocmi.

Vjev't xjisi vji nupiz ot. Vjev't xjisi zua tjuamf ci. Itqidoemmz og vjev't vji nesliv vjiz xepv vu veshiv. Hivvoph up e qmepi epf gmzoph op ot 10y mitt iggidvowi vjep cioph vjisi op qistup epf deqvasoph iwisz uqqusvapovz zua dep.

Vjev fuit neli nadj tipti, O efnov. Vjeplt!
Op vji ipf, vjot duamf molimz vasp opvu e pihuvoevoup tusv ug vjoph, xjisi O nohjv jewi vu katvogz e raemovz mudevoup vjev't nusi iyqiptowi vjep vjiz juqi, xovj eshanipvt (emuph vji mopit ug xjev zua xsuvi) vjev uavxiohj e johj sipv epf tadj.

Veyevoup ot e nevvis citv migv gus zuas edduapvoph vien.

Op visnt ug mudevoup, vjisi ot siemmz upmz upi woecmi uqvoup op Depefe - epf vjev't Vusupvu. Nupvsiem efft gasvjis dunqmodevoupt xovj vji Gsipdj siraosinipvt, epf mitt vjep jutqovecmi casieadsedz vu epzupi xju ot puv Raiciduot.

Ov't sevjis apdmies xjev zua esi muuloph vu fu vjuahj, esi zua iyqepfoph opvispevoupem temit, muuloph vu nepagedvasi jisi, qsuwofi e siveom qsitipdi?

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back