The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here watches Tv

Jul 6, 2009
I'm not much of a television connoisseur, but i do watch the occasional,
Entourage or cartoon from time to time.

So i want to know what type of t.v shows you guys watch?
How much t.v do you watch a day?
Do you think you watch too much t.v?
And what as the longest amount of time you spent with out
turning on the tube....?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
So i want to know what type of t.v shows you guys watch? Only those I buy on DVD. Sopranos, Numb3rs, Elmo, and Sesame Street (we have a 2 year old)

How much t.v do you watch a day? Zero hours per month.

Do you think you watch too much t.v? Yes. ;)

And what as the longest amount of time you spent with out turning on the tube....? 15 years, this August. Disconnected my cable back in 1994.

-Russ H.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I don't watch regular TV since I let my cable subscription expire, now my TV just sits collecting dust. I tend to rent a DVD when their is a movie I want to watch, I find its just cheaper to buy a few DVD's here and their than to subscribed to cable. Plus their is so little I want to watch, and I can't stand sitting through commercials.

As for what I like to watch it varies. Anything that the history channel has is usualy pretty good, they stream some on there website. I enjoy a lot of anime, currantly I'm following a few; Black Lagoon, FMA 2, Cannon, and Valkyrai.

Yakuza vs. Mafia

This is my new favorite show. I love how Spike streams it so I can watch it anytime.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Back when I had my business I rarely watched TV and when I did, it was when I was working. In retirement, I find myself watching a lot more but it is usually educationally oriented like HGTV, CNBC, Discovery, etc.

I refuse to watch reality TV because that shit is scripted and edited; far from reality.

Is TV detracting from your goals?

Here is a way to find out:

Do you schedule your life around a particular TV show? Do you find yourself saying "Ohhh, Tuesday 9pm is LOST, I gotta get home" -- if so, TV is a distraction and it will siphon time away from your pursuit of goals.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I usually watch 'Shaun the Sheep' and 'Special Agent OSO' on DisneyChannel ... WITH MY KIDS! That's the extent of my TV viewing (except to check the weather or quick bit of news).

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
When I was younger I used to watch a lot of TV. As I have gotten older my TV is mostly turned off.

If I do watch TV, its usually for an hour right before I go to sleep. We have over 150+ channels but I only watch 5,- Discovery, National Geographic, Science Channel, Bloomberg, and the History channel. One show that I do watch is Entourage on HBO. If I am going to spend time watching TV, I might as well learn something new.
It makes me sick when I see people wasting their time watching shows like Jon and Kate plus Eight. Live your own life not someone else's. TV can be a great educational tool but it can also be a trap that leads to laziness, weight gain, and other side effects. LOL

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
We shut off our cable/satellite almost 7 years ago and don't miss it a a bit.
The essentials - some news, state of the union, superbowl - can be found elsewhere.
We occasionally watch a DVD.

I have no idea where I'd find the time to watch a show now, or how I did back then. I still don't get enough done in a day.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Been without cable for over 3 years now. I don't even miss it. What little TV I watch has been tuning into the local weather. Especially this summer.

When football season rolls around I will be either at or watching every Broncos game.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JScott said:
PhxMJ said:
-- if so, TV is a distraction and it will siphon time away from your pursuit of goals.
And if so, you need TIVO! :)
:smx8:

What a great idea . . . just buy a TIVO for all my competitors, ship it to them as an anonymous gift . . :D

-Russ H.

(PS I know you're kidding, JScott)

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I rarely watch TV. Have basic cable so my kids can watch Disney and Animal Planet. I have TiVo so that if I have a show I like (The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch on CNBC, The Fabulous Life if it features mansions) I can watch it when I want without commercials. (That's terrible considering I used to be a VP Creative Director of an ad agency!). I think of the TV as something that detracts from my goals, so if I'm gonna watch something, it is conscienscious and it better be something good that motivates me or teaches me something. FYI the wealthiest mega-millionaire guy I know doesn't have TV hooked up at all. He has a movie collection but rarely even watches those.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I have a DVR so I record my shows. We have HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. Everything. We also have a 60 inch HDTV to watch it on. Our "cable" provider is TDS and they send out the information via cat5 cable (ethernet/internet cable)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.