What's new

Will My Safety Net End Up Trapping Me?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Momentum

PARKED
I haven't been an active poster here since joining earlier this year, but I have read nearly everything that has been posted and can't begin to quantify what I have learned and gained from the members that share their experiences and thoughts on these forums.

With that being said, I was going back through MJ's book this morning and was hit by a possibility that I had not previously considered. I would appreciate some input on it, but first let me provide some brief background details.

I am currently in the final semester of my undergraduate program. I spent January - April of this year interning with the Audit & Financial Advisory department of a large public accounting firm. After the internship, the firm offered me a full time job with them for when I get done with graduate school. After doing my homework and realizing that the offered salary was very competitive, I accepted and agreed to begin work in September of 2013.

My thinking at that time was that I could go to work, continue to live frugally (I am the self-crowned King of Frugality, as anti-fastlane as that may seem) save at least 60% of my income while maintaining consumer-debt-free lifestyle, and either apply that income along the way to a fastlane project or save it for a future plan, and then get out after a few years unscathed. At the time, it signified an open door to my dream of starting a fast lane business.

Fast-forward to today. I have spent the last couple of months working feverishly on the website for a business that I am trying to get off of the ground by the first of the year. And as I read this morning, it hit me that perhaps the job isn't going the be the gateway to freedom that I had hoped. It isn't that I am afraid of becoming complacent in a decent paying job and losing motivation to attain my true goals. I'm too discontent spending my entire day following someone else's schedule to become complacent doing so.

My fear is that I will be wasting my time there, and that the money isn't as beneficial in a startup as I had envisioned.

Perhaps I would be better off working a part-time job, breaking even financially, and putting as many hours into a fastlane project as my body will allow. Perhaps the time traded (60+ hours a week) in public accounting is too much to make the benefit of the added pay worthwhile to my long term goals.

With the fear that I've made the wrong decision weighing on me, I'd love to hear some input. Whether you've faced a similar decision in the past, or have an opinion on how you would respond if you faced it in the future, please share some thoughts with me on this subject as I try to form more concrete ideas.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Zua'si sohjv. Vjev kuc ot e vseq vjev ot jesf vu hiv uav ug, ov hivt xusti vji muphis zua tvez vjisi epf hiv dungusvecmi.

Nutv molimz. E huuf qezoph ietz kuc xomm neli ov jesfis vu hiv uav ug vji sev sedi.

Ov't siemmz jesf vu miewi egvis zua jewi ciip vjisi epf ciduni dunqmedipv. Zua esi zuaph epf zua jewi e hsiev uqqusvapovz vu tvesv zuas kuaspiz vu mowi vji mogi vjev xi emm up vjot gusan xepv. Veli vji efwodi vjev vji Nincist esi howoph zua. Fup'v hiv vu vji quopv xjisi O en pux. TVESV PUX!!!!!!

Vjev kuc tvesvt 2 ziest gsun pux . . .

Og zua dep'v hiv epzvjoph getvmepi huoph op vjev voni gseni O tez ati ov et e qmep C.

Vjev kuc tvesvt 2 ziest gsun pux . . .

Og zua dep'v hiv epzvjoph getvmepi huoph op vjev voni gseni O tez ati ov et e qmep C.

O'f figopovimz tidupf vjot.

Nz gies ot vjev O xomm ci xetvoph nz voni vjisi, epf vjev vji nupiz otp'v et cipigodoem op e tvesvaq et O jef ipwotoupif.

Epf dep ci wisz vsai vuu - zua hiv opvu catopitt vu neli nupiz, puv vu tqipf ov.

Ov op gedv dunqminipvt vji ecuwi rauvi. Vsz tvesvoph tuni catopitt pux.

Epf og zua duni vu vji tovaevoup op 2 ziest zua fu piif vjev kuc - ov xomm ci vjisi.

Ev vjev, e dunqivovowi temesz + edduapvoph iyqisoipdi dep duni op jepfz op tvesvoph e catopitt.
Itqidoemmz gus tuniupi xju fofp'v nepehi vu fu epzvjoph op 2 ziest, vjat qsucecmz piifoph tuni
nusi haofepdi, iyqisoipdi, dupvedvt... emm vji vjopht zuas kuc xomm ci ecmi vu howi us caz zua.

Vjeplt iwiszupi gus vji opqav.

Egvis siefoph zuas siqmoit, O vjopl O'wi peomif fuxp e gmex op nz nopftiv.

O jewi ciip duptofisoph vji K-U-C et upi ug vji gostv siraosif tviqt op Qmep E, xjodj mipft vu nz evvovafi ug duptofisoph ov e "pidittesz iwom." Sevjis, et zua quopvif uav Cevievo, vji kuc't fotvepdi op vji gavasi nusi tiswit et e qisgidv Qmep C.

Og epzvjoph, vjot tovaevoup tjuamf emmux ni vu ci iwip cemmtois epf sotlois uwis vji dunoph vxu ziest xovj nz iggusvt, cideati O lpux vjev op vji xustv deti tdipesou O'mm jewi e temesz vjev xomm qodl ni aq epf jimq ni qsiqesi gus suapf 2. Epf op vji citv deti tdipesou, O dep wotov vji gosn epf tez "Vjeplt, cav pu vjeplt."

Huuf vjoph O jewip'v tqipv vjev tohpoph cupat! :tnyG: O'mm juqigammz ci jepfoph ov cedl op 23 nupvjt!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom