The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1/12th of a year at a time - a progress thread

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Appreciate the update and so sorry for your losses. It sounds like there was a lot of wins in spite of everything.

Not sure if you're a fellow recovering perfectionist but if you are, I'd suggest/put out a reminder to do only the research and prep you need to do to get the basics of podcast down. In the future, you can upgrade to better equipment, etc. The first business I started, I got way too caught up in the logistics of things including logos and font for my office policies when really, I should've just started. (I do blamed my medical license getting delayed for part of it hahah but at the same time, I was already seeing massage therapy clients as part of the umbrella of that sole prop so it's not a great excuse ) On the other hand, brainstorming/creating/settling on your brand name/slogan/logo so fun and exciting!!

I wonder if you can create an online course or write an ebook helping others with their high-energy dogs.
Thanks for the suggestion/reminder - I definitely get caught up in details sometimes.

Hmm, the dog thing is an interesting idea. I don't feel I really have anything new to add to what Cesar Milan aka The Dog Whisperer has already put out there. But it's something I could ponder a little more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
10/12

Progress has almost come to a screeching halt.

A couple of weeks ago we saw my dog have a seizure. A follow up MRI showed a large brain tumor. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area this week getting him radiation treatment.

Sofiawicz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 25, 2023
Thanks for the congrats and taking the time to read some of my story
I found it interesting because one can really see the process of starting out with something fairly 'by mistake' and an idea coming from this experience without the experience being the solution - hope I am making sense.

If you don't have one chosen already, I suggest you choose a problem you want to solve first. Then see if learning Python is a good step forward.
Ah for sure, I have not really started this course because of any fastlane idea or need. It was really out of interest AND sometimes starting something can help you open up new perspectives without you intending to in the first place - even better if you enjoy it ! :)

Thanks and good luck, will be following you progress !

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I found it interesting because one can really see the process of starting out with something fairly 'by mistake' and an idea coming from this experience without the experience being the solution - hope I am making sense.
That is so wonderful to hear - I'm glad there's some value to be found here. I was hoping to encourage those having a hard time getting started or feeling lost.

Ah for sure, I have not really started this course because of any fastlane idea or need. It was really out of interest AND sometimes starting something can help you open up new perspectives without you intending to in the first place - even better if you enjoy it ! :)
Oh I see, I think I misinterpreted you a little bit. There's nothing wrong with picking up a skill out of interest because it can absolutely lead to something more or come in handy sometimes. Especially when you aren't quite sure what your business or career goals are just yet. And with coding, for the most part, once you learn one, you'll probably find it much easier to learn another one.

I worked a bit with C++ for an undergraduate class a long time ago and I really enjoyed it. Then I used matlab and shell scripting almost exclusively, and then Python a bit. I tried to learn some Java for a project years ago, but the main code was so large and complex that it was way over my head as a beginner; but it was very clear to me that it's very powerful and one I would consider learning if I was really really into coding. And then if you decide coding isn't really something you want to focus on, you'll still have that transferrable skill and be able to pick up html or css etc. to build your own website, you'll better understand software you might need for your future business, etc.

So, yes, I think coding is a useful skill to have, and as for which one, I think C++ or Python would be good places to start (based on my experience).

Thanks and good luck, will be following you progress !
Thanks! I'll be looking for your progress thread as well!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
so far I haven't really felt it necessary to impose a consultation fee yet
Not saying not to do free calls, just to stop thinking you're "imposing" a consultation fee. It's a value exchange. If you do it for free then record the call so you can use post clips to YouTube/social media. Also ask for a Google/Facebook review.

Something to ask yourself: Would you be able to serve more people and better if you were doing this full-time? Are you doing dogs and their owners a disservice by not making this a self-sustaining business.

How much would you charge me for a 1 hour call about Bella? Or would a 1 hour call where we chat about your business be a better value exchange for you?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The lady who I found on Google Maps didn't reply to our question yesterday where we said we're interested in all plans and when can we start. Seems she's swamped, which happens. I'm slow quoting someone too so know how that goes.

Anyway, I searched again. Look at this top ad. It doesn't show my town in the headline. I'm looking for someone local.

If they were my client I'd create an ad for every town and city in Ireland, and make sure the location was mentioned in the landing page.

Screenshot_20240404_083733.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just today I was thinking about how what I'm doing now is not sustainable. I always knew that I wouldn't be able to spend all my hours working with clients one-on-one forever (even if it one day replaced my 9-to-5), but today was the first time I really felt it. I really need to start focusing on getting other things going, like a sub1scription service or ebook or course or something.
Why wouldn't you be able to spend all your hours working on clients one-on-one? Is it because there's not enough clients, or because it doesn't pay enough, or because it's too tiring?

Are you able to you hire other trainers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
If they were my client I'd create an ad for every town and city in Ireland, and make sure the location was mentioned in the landing page.
I'm looking for someone local.
I think I'm a little confused on what "local" means. Does it mean the company is based in your town? Or does it mean that the company will serve your town?

I suppose if I put on my consumer hat, I probably wouldn't care much if the only company doing X or the best rated company doing X were based in Dublin but were willing to serve me in Killarney and that was made known up front in say an ad banner.

Why wouldn't you be able to spend all your hours working on clients one-on-one? Is it because there's not enough clients, or because it doesn't pay enough, or because it's too tiring?
This is a good point. I probably could continue doing one-on-one, but it'd have to be different than what I'm doing now.

Are you able to you hire other trainers?
Not currently, I don't think, but maybe I'm not seeing all the options.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
That local dog trainer didn't get back to us.

My wife's friend has a niece who does dog training. We messaged her and she's fully booked till end of May for home visits. She offered half price where we email her what's going on and she replies via email. We snap paid the €50.
Seems maybe that local trainer is struggling through a period of growth? Too many calls, not enough time or employees yet to help?

That's a great example of word of mouth advertising! Also, that's a neat work-around to offer email support at a discount when her in-person availability is booked. I'll keep that one in mind.

Thanks for sharing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.