The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Idea threads

AnthonyK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Oct 13, 2022
Hello Everyone

I am in university right now and before coming here, I had strong feelings of not wanting to. I didn't tell my parents, or challenge their arguments as I believed university at the time was the only path I could take and here I am, not enjoying my classes and the environment. What I am enjoying though is entrepreneurship and creating value via a business (I may sound vague in this, but I am making time everyday to put thought into it), as well as side hustles in terms of work experience - [I am currently getting more proficient at video editing and plan to create value with that over time]. I also realized the importance of self-education a while ago. I have been reading TMF and the personal MBA, as well as extending my curiousity to books that do with marketing and branding I want to get better at doing the right things while doing what it takes.

Now, here's the dilemma, or what it might look like once I explain it. I am taking a gap semester for this year in university (have already sorted it through), but I haven't told my parents that I have as I know they will not be understanding of it. My parents highly value my success in terms of finance and money and are very unfamiliar and unaccepting of the views which revolve around the fastlane so it isn't something I can do until without convincing them of it. I plan to use the gap semester to get more work experience, build on my business more, and truly move closer towards the realization of what it is I want to do with my life. There's also my consideration in getting a (physical) job, internship, and/or work experience (now and/or during the gap semester). Thing is, I haven't been attending a significant amount of my classes, investing all of my time into this and exploring other possibilities. I do not intend to return - I plan to drop out (withdraw my classes) during the gap semester as dropping out right now would risk me getting "asked" to move out by my parents (A.K.A kicked out). This is a fear I hold strongly, and upon a lot of evaluation, I strongly believe it is a possibility considering where I am right now. Even my siblings do not know my decision I have reason to believe they won't believe me, and/or support me, though I am willing to try to get them on my side prior to telling my parents.

What do you think about my approach going forward? What do you think I'm doing right, or wrong, and is there any place you feel I should really be paying attention to? Any insights you have helps - Thanks for reading and I'm eager to hear your perspective.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
G

Guest116255

Hello Everyone

I am in university right now and before coming here, I had strong feelings of not wanting to. I didn't tell my parents, or challenge their arguments as I believed university at the time was the only path I could take and here I am, not enjoying my classes and the environment. What I am enjoying though is entrepreneurship and creating value via a business (I may sound vague in this, but I am making time everyday to put thought into it), as well as side hustles in terms of work experience - [I am currently getting more proficient at video editing and plan to create value with that over time]. I also realized the importance of self-education a while ago. I have been reading TMF and the personal MBA, as well as extending my curiousity to books that do with marketing and branding I want to get better at doing the right things while doing what it takes.

Now, here's the dilemma, or what it might look like once I explain it. I am taking a gap semester for this year in university (have already sorted it through), but I haven't told my parents that I have as I know they will not be understanding of it. My parents highly value my success in terms of finance and money and are very unfamiliar and unaccepting of the views which revolve around the fastlane so it isn't something I can do until without convincing them of it. I plan to use the gap semester to get more work experience, build on my business more, and truly move closer towards the realization of what it is I want to do with my life. There's also my consideration in getting a (physical) job, internship, and/or work experience (now and/or during the gap semester). Thing is, I haven't been attending a significant amount of my classes, investing all of my time into this and exploring other possibilities. I do not intend to return - I plan to drop out (withdraw my classes) during the gap semester as dropping out right now would risk me getting "asked" to move out by my parents (A.K.A kicked out). This is a fear I hold strongly, and upon a lot of evaluation, I strongly believe it is a possibility considering where I am right now. Even my siblings do not know my decision I have reason to believe they won't believe me, and/or support me, though I am willing to try to get them on my side prior to telling my parents.

What do you think about my approach going forward? What do you think I'm doing right, or wrong, and is there any place you feel I should really be paying attention to? Any insights you have helps - Thanks for reading and I'm eager to hear your perspective.
Hi Anthony, I am in a very similar situation! The best I can recommend is to find a way to leverage yourself on your own without the assistance of your parents. When I decided to drop out, my parents threatened to take away everything from me. Given that I was studying abroad this was quite scary as I would be left out in the wild to fend for myself. Although a minimum wage job might not put a roof over your head, try to find a friend or something that allows you to have full control of your life.

I say this because from what I can tell your parents are playing a large role in this right now. If your only fear is disapproval, let go of it. I too had to face rejection, even from those I love most. Convincing them is unlikely, remember that these people are three times your age which means they've had that much more time to assert their beliefs even if invalid to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.