The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College Student with an Authority Problem

MigrantMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Mar 9, 2017
Fort Collins, CO
I was raised with a "hands-off" approach by my parents and that taste of independence has only grown as I've gained more throughout the years. Before discovering TMF and related books, I thought I was doomed to be a cog in the machine of a large business or organization.

Ever since I realized the potential was there to be my own man, it has been stuck in my head. I initially entered college as a chemical engineering major, but am in the process of switching to business with a marketing focus. Chemical engineering is fine, but the careers (although high-paying) looked miserable. I'm hoping that business schooling will allow me to learn applicable skills I can use to reach my goal of self-dependance.

As of now, I have started a website with the main purpose of learning hands-on how to promote content on the internet and social media. I don't expect it to be profitable, but the experience should help when I have an actual product or service to provide.

What I need help with now, and hope to find in this community, is connections. I am in the northern Colorado region and would be happy to meet like-minded individuals.

Happy to be here,

MigrantMan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
786%
May 5, 2014
Welcome to the forum!

I was raised with a "hands-off" approach by my parents and that taste of independence has only grown as I've gained more throughout the years. Before discovering TMF and related books, I thought I was doomed to be a cog in the machine of a large business or organization.

Ever since I realized the potential was there to be my own man, it has been stuck in my head. I initially entered college as a chemical engineering major, but am in the process of switching to business with a marketing focus. Chemical engineering is fine, but the careers (although high-paying) looked miserable. I'm hoping that business schooling will allow me to learn applicable skills I can use to reach my goal of self-dependance.

As of now, I have started a website with the main purpose of learning hands-on how to promote content on the internet and social media. I don't expect it to be profitable, but the experience should help when I have an actual product or service to provide.

What I need help with now, and hope to find in this community, is connections. I am in the northern Colorado region and would be happy to meet like-minded individuals.

Happy to be here,

MigrantMan

- Why would you do something that you dont expect to be profitable?

Generally the things that are holding us back aren't in the physical (business/idea) but in the mental(how we think about them/ourselves). Dig at that question and let me know the real reason.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Authority problem? Ha, you'll fit right in around here.

Welcome aboard.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Welcome!

I agree that you should make your first website profitable. Even if it ends up failing, you will learn more because you had profitability as the goal. If its sole purpose is just to learn, you won't put as much effort into it. Striving toward a goal means that you'll need to get creative to make things happen. And that creativity is where you learn - you'll seek out new information and new ideas in the moment when you need them.

Mysterious

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 13, 2017
Europe
If you want to pursue business degree, I can tell you 1 thing. If you read some business books before and actively follow economic news, you are smarter than you think you are in business.I am also new in this forum, but before you decide to switch to business degree, answer yourself one question. Do I want to change this because I can make more MONEY or because business genuinely interests me? Also food for thought, business teachings in university sometimes can be far away from real life.
Good luck on your journey!

MigrantMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Mar 9, 2017
Fort Collins, CO
Welcome to the forum!

- Why would you do something that you dont expect to be profitable?

Generally the things that are holding us back aren't in the physical (business/idea) but in the mental(how we think about them/ourselves). Dig at that question and let me know the real reason.

I think you (and Jon L) nailed an insecurity of mine. I've been calling this website purely experimental so that if it fails, it doesn't reflect on me as a failure. I imagine that I'll be advised to put that aside and give my project my full effort.

I'm still working on getting over the underhanded disapproval of the "slowlaners" that are close to me. I'm sure you guys have had that issue. Do you guys share your work with people that subscribe to the idea of working for others?

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
I think you (and Jon L) nailed an insecurity of mine. I've been calling this website purely experimental so that if it fails, it doesn't reflect on me as a failure. I imagine that I'll be advised to put that aside and give my project my full effort.

I'm still working on getting over the underhanded disapproval of the "slowlaners" that are close to me. I'm sure you guys have had that issue. Do you guys share your work with people that subscribe to the idea of working for others?

Most of the time, the work I do is never seen by those who are motivated in working under somebody's wing. It's not about disliking them or their attitude towards work, it's rather: 'what benefit will they bring in knowing what I have just released/published?'. Usually, the answer is absolutely nothing, in which case I do what I was planning on doing from the beginning: not notify them.

If there is one thing you need to get used to, it's not chasing people for their acknowledgement or their approval. Just do you and network with the right people to get to where you want to be, if they hear about it, that's cool and if they don't, that's cool too.

Welcome to the wolf pit, don't forget to enjoy the ride.

Edit: I thought I'd mention this before somebody breathes fire all over me: This concept doesn't apply to your customers, obviously. Only to your friends and family.

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

That was a key insecurity of mine, too. What I've found is that when I completely own all of my strengths and weaknesses, I'm able to grow, learn and do things I wasn't capable of before. This includes looking a bit silly in front of clients. As long as you own every aspect of the process, and provide solutions to places you're lacking, clients will respect you. I can't tell you how freeing it is to live this way. I will specifically say to clients: "I suck at ___." and "I need your input on ___ because I can't figure out ___." As long as you are top of your game where it counts, this will bring you MORE respect, not less.

Personally, I don't talk about my business with anyone that doesn't understand what drives me. And that's most of the people I know. They all quietly think I'm nuts, and that's just fine. My motivation is not a "I'll show YOU" (when I buy my Ferrari) thing, either. I'm doing this because its what I'm built for.

Gamechanger

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Feb 10, 2017
Texas
Personally, I don't talk about my business with anyone that doesn't understand what drives me. And that's most of the people I know. They all quietly think I'm nuts, and that's just fine. My motivation is not a "I'll show YOU" (when I buy my Ferrari) thing, either. I'm doing this because its what I'm built for.

Can it not be a little of both? Lol :hilarious:

conquer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 30, 2016
Get into low ticket sales to learn the fundamentals of sales.

If copying the low ticket sales business makes sense, pursue it.

If not, graduate to bigger ticket items and copy the business with your own twist down the road.

Mark Cuban and Robert Herjavic worked for software companies as salesman and went on to build their own million dollar software companies.

When you become a beast at sales, you can do anything.

And don't forget to BELIEVE in YOURSELF.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

MigrantMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Mar 9, 2017
Fort Collins, CO
Get into low ticket sales to learn the fundamentals of sales.

If copying the low ticket sales business makes sense, pursue it.

If not, graduate to bigger ticket items and copy the business with your own twist down the road.

Mark Cuban and Robert Herjavic worked for software companies as salesman and went on to build their own million dollar software companies.

When you become a beast at sales, you can do anything.

And don't forget to BELIEVE in YOURSELF.
This is exactly the actionable advice I was hoping to get here! I hear you, and I'll be taking steps toward this idea.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
786%
May 5, 2014

I dont care about what any slowlaner thinks of me or my ideas.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

go deeper into your authority problem because that's why you are a master among humans

fastlane is not just about making money and retiring on the beach while remaining a pawn in the system called society

we only live once

money is a means to an end

the end is not to drive ferraris and sleep in mansions

the ends is having the right understanding and lifestyle according to human evolution in the universe

money should give you choice for your human duty, your global vision

it should frees you in order to have time and means to work on your life duty for your life and humanity.

because life is not just being a consumer or producer like animals in farms

life is about the human evolution in the universe

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.