The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have a big NeW yEaRs ResoLUtiOn? Shut up.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It has become a tradition around here that I make some snide remarks about a date on a calendar changing nothing about your mindset, motivation, will power or situation. If you have some grandiose resolution that you think you're actually going to do, shut up.

First of all... You should be ALREADY living a life compatable with your values.

Do you value hard work? You should already be working hard.

Do you value fitness? You should already be devoting time and effort to your fitness every day.

Do you value education? You should already be devoting time and effort to education.

Faith?

Family?

Etc...

It's hilarious to me that most of the fatties out there are going to start showing up to the gym on Monday with the best of intentions. The problem is they aren't really valuing the actual fitness. They value the new year. Once they realize a date on the calendar is hollow and meaningless, the motivation is gone. 90% of them won't build the habit through January. "Oops I missed a week, better wait until next year to try again."

6 weeks ago, I couldn't run a mile without walking. I have always been functionally strong, but have had basically zero endurance and have been overweight. I could pretty easily hide my fitness laziness under nice clothing, but it was getting old. 33 years was enough. I decided to place a higher value on fitness. Not a phony "I'll wait until new years" goal.

I started training for an early March half-marathon with someone that would push me hard. Every day. Someone who has run several full marathons and will be doing some ultras in 24.

I was convinced I didn't have enough time to train... and that I would end up walking it... but today, I ran a 10k without walking a step. Today was a turning point, I now believe it won't even be a question. I will get my half done and keep going from there.

Key to this though... I started in November... I didn't wait until Jan 1.

Tomorrow is Dec 30. You still have two days to make your goals about more than a stupid number. Start now. Change the mindset. Value the goal.

Now I'm going to go take some Advil for my legs. :rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 4, 2019
Most people think the goal fairy only visits once a year on Jan 1st. It's important to reflect often, reassess and update your goals.

Life events, circumstances and opportunities change so much faster than once per year it's ridiculous to treat it like they do.

The crowd of resolutioners at the gym in January always sucks. I always go nice and early because most of them aren't disciplined enough to do the same.

1000008140.jpg

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
The best and only time when we can actually change our lives is today.

A lesson that the January 1st motivation boys have yet to learn.

I think I'm going to deload my training for 2 weeks to avoid being trampled to death by people that have come to BeCoMe ThE BeSt VeRsIoN oF ThEmSeLvEs.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), everybody is gone by the time February rolls around.

piano

Em7(add13) to Fmaj7sus2.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Yes!
I've been waiting for this kind of post:rofl:
Spot on, thank you Kak.

Thankfully ever since I turned INSTANTLY ILL on January 1th one year and was constantly puking in a F*cking bucket for days, I have never since been looking forward to another year :happy:

I think I'm going to deload my training for 2 weeks to avoid being trampled to death by people that have come to BeCoMe ThE BeSt VeRsIoN oF ThEmSeLvEs.
No no, you're reading this wrong. Now is the perfect time to become a playground warrior and master calisthenics :cool:

Zizu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Mar 9, 2023
Croatia
My only "New Year Resolution" is to travel more, much more in the upcoming year.

I'll keep working on my business just the same as I have been the last 5 months. Haven't been in the gym since summer due to some health complications but me and my missus are going back as soon as we come back home. Dreading the first few weeks tho hahahaha

Louie Prince

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 2, 2023
Rather than make a resolution, why not set a goal for the year? Something that will require hard work throughout the entire year, but something that is achievable in a 12-month period.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
I have no clue how people could even put off their goals.

It doesn’t make sense to me. When I have a objective or goal, I can’t sit around and push it off, it’s like a do or die.

I recently cancelled my gym membership at my old gym and moving over to a different one after the new year because that’s when I can go to a different gym that’s a lot cheaper ($66 a month down to 33)

I have been growing so mentally insane because I haven’t been going.

I’m going to wake up the day after I get my new membership and sprint to the gym.

I can’t live without linking my actions to my purpose. It makes me go insane

Please excuse me while I go scream into a pillow

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
Interesting that someone posted one of SIR's new year comics because that was (around 2015) when I started seeing the gaps between someone living a life based on systems and KFC (Know what you want, Find out what you're getting, Change what you're doing to get into alignment) and any regular normie that would spend NYE scrawling out 5,000 words of a "dream plan" just to go to the gym for 2 weeks (and sweat on my workout equipment dammit!) just to give up by the third week of January.

Handy shoutout to Scott Adams and his book for helping me make that shift, I'm ADHD as f$&* so never really had solid long term goals, had to learn quickly to find things I could do consistently to take me to where I wanted to go without having to fight myself or spend mental horsepower. Learning about building up a future (as MJ also mentions) and working back from there to find the foundations and build those up had been a game changer and makes everything a breeze.

For any of my other gymbros out there- how long until you stop seeing the NYReser's apocalypse? Week 1 is usually armageddon but by week 3 half of them are gone and by end of feb only about 10% remain from the years I've seen this play out.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018
IMG_2550.jpegAdulthood comes with:

➖less play
➖more stress
➖more inactivity

So each year you move a bit less, and you do fewer of the stress-reducing activities that made you a lean, mean, burning machine.

I understand how many fall into the trap.

But you must escape it.

Good on you @Kak for taking fitness by the balls! Keep going.

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 27, 2022
Thanks for the sobering post @Kak

In December of 2021, I spent a week "planning" for the New Year by spending DAYS writing out exactly what I wanted to happen in each quarter of the year and even down to the month! Ended up making like 5 enormous goals that would require hours of focus alone and I had the "perfect" plan all laid out.

Then January 1st, 2022 hit and I realized the "switch" didn't happen - I think that's what most people fall into and it's what you're alluding to as well. People have this false belief that at midnight all of their bad habits will suddenly disappear and they will immediately get to work on their goals (as if they didn't just waste 12 months before lofting around)

Yesterday, I spend a few minutes looking back at the year and thought "I literally just have to keep doing what I'm doing and slowly increase the intensity throughout the year" - Just focus each and everyday on the activities that will lead you to becoming the person who you need to become. The focus might change as new opportunities arise, but the principles remain the same, regardless of the number on the calendar.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
My clients are all owners of gyms and martial arts centres. They must have tripled their sales during this new year seasons.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I wonder how many people already lost motivation.

"wAIt a mInuTE. TOdAy fEelS jUst liKe yesTERday, wHaT tHe hEll?

Screenshot_20240101_130721_Edge.jpg

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I wonder how many people already lost motivation.

"wAIt a mInuTE. TOdAy fEelS jUst liKe yesTERday, wHaT tHe hEll?

View attachment 53293
Pulled up to the office this morning and one of the guys in the building next door kinda sniggered when he said "Happy New Year" for those working for someone else its Groundhog Day, felt a bit bad for him.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
Recently, my gym shared last years new year week scans. Here’s what it looked like (I made this graph)
IMG_3524.jpeg

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
Recently, my gym shared last years new year week scans. Here’s what it looked like (I made this graph)
And that's just the first 7 days.
Imagine what the next 7 weeks are going to look like.

This kind of graph would be the perfect marketing campaign for gyms in January.

Instead of pushing out BS motivational messages about health, just show people this chart and ask them if they want to be part of the 99% of losers who give up before spring.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
And that's just the first 7 days.
Imagine what the next 7 weeks are going to look like.

This kind of graph would be the perfect marketing campaign for gyms in January.

Instead of pushing out BS motivational messages about health, just show people this chart and ask them if they want to be part of the 99% of losers who give up before spring.
The normal average amount of check ins a day on a normal day, per say Monday Oct something is 350.

They had also released a graph of how many new people renewed their membership, and it was like this:

Feb: 75%
March: 60%
April: 35%
May: 20%
June: 15%

Over the course of 6 months, only 15% of people stayed.

Thats 15 people out of 100.

That means, I’m apart of the 15%

Probably more. I’ve had my membership for 7 months. Now I’m switching gyms but will keep going.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This motivation to get things done massively crosses over into business as well.

How many people get super phony inspired by a Grant Cardone video and work super hard one week then 80 percent the next then 50 percent the next and 25 percent the next? What do they do next? They tell themselves their 20k in crypto is going to "go parabolic one day" and they give up. Their "plan" just becomes "one day."

It's amazing the types of mountains that can move in just one month.

Going from not being able to run a single mile to fully running 6+ miles in about 5 weeks is a 600+% improvement in distance and about a 40% improvement in pace. I never expected improvements like this. I am however, working my butt off and any harder would probably have negative affects on improvement due to recovery.

Devote a month of your life to business at a true 100% in this same way and see what you shake loose. Progress becomes addicting.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
This motivation to get things done massively crosses over into business as well.

How many people get super phony inspired by a Grant Cardone video and work super hard one week then 80 percent the next then 50 percent the next and 25 percent the next? What do they do next? They tell themselves their 20k in crypto is going to "go parabolic one day" and they give up. Their "plan" just becomes "one day."

Going from not being able to run a single mile to fully running 6+ miles in about 5 weeks is a 600+% improvement in distance and about a 40% improvement in pace. I never expected improvements like this. I am however, working my butt off and any harder would probably have negative affects on improvement due to recovery.

Devote a month of your life to business at a true 100% in this same way and see what you shake loose. Progress becomes addicting.
It’s like that with anything:

I went to the gym about 65 times, and my bench press or went from 45-90, a 200% increase or about a 3% increase every time.

If you can devote yourself to being happy for a month, you will come out a lot happier

If you can devote yourself to improving 1% better a day for a month, you will become infinitely better.

If you can focus on living life, life will become infinitely better.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Impressive results with the running!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.