The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

High defect rate - inspection method

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Hi all,

I had a batch of products (LED table lamp) produced in China that had a defect rate of 8% (or even more). The defect rate slipped through the inspection because only 125 units out of the 4000 units were inspected. Defect means the lamp can not even be turned on.

I want to give them another chance. I would like to prevent these defects in the coming order and future orders and would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

My questions:
1) I would like the inspection company to inspect many more units this time. This costs a lot of money, so I have to restrict the inspection to only check whether the lamp can be turned on.

How much % of the batch should I inspect this time to find out whether the batch has a too high of a defect rate? Functionality defects should be max 2.5% according to industry standards, if I am correct.

2) Does this kind of inspection have a specific name?

3) Should I inspect them after they have been packaged and if so, why? The supplier proposes to inspect them before they have been packaged and they want to use this inspection as their own quality control, meaning that the inspection company tells them which one are defective and then they produce more to replace those.
But to my knowledge this is not as good as inspecting them after packaging, because it will not show me whether in future orders the supplier will be able to do their own quality control instead of me having to pay high inspection costs each time.

4) Any advice on how to prevent this defect rate in future orders? It is expensive to inspect so many units each time.

Any other advice and viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
Hi all,

I had a batch of products (LED table lamp) produced in China that had a defect rate of 8% (or even more). The defect rate slipped through the inspection because only 125 units out of the 4000 units were inspected. Defect means the lamp can not even be turned on.

I want to give them another chance. I would like to prevent these defects in the coming order and future orders and would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

My questions:
1) I would like the inspection company to inspect many more units this time. This costs a lot of money, so I have to restrict the inspection to only check whether the lamp can be turned on.

How much % of the batch should I inspect this time to find out whether the batch has a too high of a defect rate? Functionality defects should be max 2.5% according to industry standards, if I am correct.

2) Does this kind of inspection have a specific name?

3) Should I inspect them after they have been packaged and if so, why? The supplier proposes to inspect them before they have been packaged and they want to use this inspection as their own quality control, meaning that the inspection company tells them which one are defective and then they produce more to replace those.
But to my knowledge this is not as good as inspecting them after packaging, because it will not show me whether in future orders the supplier will be able to do their own quality control instead of me having to pay high inspection costs each time.

4) Any advice on how to prevent this defect rate in future orders? It is expensive to inspect so many units each time.

Any other advice and viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Determine the root cause(s) of the high defect rate and fix that. You could even have them mail you some of the defective ones so you could take them apart and determine why they're not turning on. Then you have specific problems for the manufacturer to fix. This is probably something they should be doing, but I don't have experience manufacturing in China so I don't know how much control you actually have over the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.