The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should I think? Life Changing Moment

Anything related to matters of the mind

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
Dear Fastlaners.
Recently I am stuck with the question (and fear) of whether or not I should quit my job.
About me:
I am 28 years old and working in tech as a software engineer. I have acquired several skills during my 5 years of experience.
I feel really bad working for other people and I am very passionate about going on my own and working on my projects.
I feel even worse in my current job due to some company bureaucracy and micromanagement.
I am currently working on a project for sports clubs with a partner (Freelancers are doing the heavy lifting of the app) and on a mobile game.
I also want to get myself out there, get to know people, and make people know me via youtube/Instagram/linkedin, etc. (I still need to choose the correct platform for me)
I have enough cash to live off very comfortably (With 0 income) for 1 year and 2 more years' worth of money invested in the stock market.
I have very high certainty that the sports clubs project will provide income in the next 3-6 months and the mobile game has high probability in my opinion.

The commute to my office is 1.5 hours each way (3 hours in a day total, 3 times a week) and I really feel drained when I finally get home (Yet I find the strength to keep on and do at least 1 thing).

This is a very scary step for me to do, but I have a burning passion to go on that way and be an entrepreneur. I have a blast when I work on myself and my projects and I feel way more rejuvenated and happy when I do that.
I am highly aware of the work there is ahead of me and the hard times, but I know I will feel better even if I will fail.
I thought of taking 1 year (1/3 of my net worth) to see how things are going, reasses every few months and if I can't make any progress whatsoever I can always find a job again.

What do you think? Obviously, it's an individual decision that I will have to take, but I want to hear opinions from people who are on the same path.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Michal__

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 13, 2023
Why not wait until your projects become profitable? Yeah, I get you are tired of work, but business needs MORE discipline than work. At least in the beginning.

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
Why not wait until your projects become profitable? Yeah, I get you are tired of work, but business needs MORE discipline than work. At least in the beginning.
I know I am ready for the type of discipline. I have been developing myself and building some failed apps beyond the scope of my work for the last 3.5 years.

I know that I can do so much more with more time plus I have enough money at the moment to go on that adventure

Michal__

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 13, 2023
I know I am ready for the type of discipline. I have been developing myself and building some failed apps beyond the scope of my work for the last 3.5 years.

I know that I can do so much more with more time plus I have enough money at the moment to go on that adventure
If you are sure you can do it, then that sounds like a good idea. Only you can know for sure.

Under The Stairs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 2, 2023
Fear is the threshold of failure.
While I agree with the comment given, why not just wait for your business to scale up and be profitable so you lower the risk, in life sometimes you got to take the risks.

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
Fear is the threshold of failure.
While I agree with the comment given, why not just wait for your business to scale up and be profitable so you lower the risk, in life sometimes you got to take the risks.
And what if it doesn't take off? What if I work years until something works? I mean, is risking 30k$ (1 year of living money), which is less than third of the net worth not worth the risk? I mean, if after 1 year I will not make any progress, I will reassess and can always find a new job.

Under The Stairs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 2, 2023
And what if it doesn't take off? What if I work years until something works? I mean, is risking 30k$ (1 year of living money), which is less than third of the net worth not worth the risk? I mean, if after 1 year I will not make any progress, I will reassess and can always find a new job.
If in life you will always say "what if", nothing will ever happen.
Any great thing in life takes risks and commitment.

And as you rightfully say, jobs enough in the world - you can always get a different job. I'd say you do you and go for it my man.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
IF you need people on the internet to validate you, you are not ready to be an entrepreneur. Keep working and stacking cash and pretending to be one on the side.

To add a data point, take a regular coin and determine, for example, heads for keep job and tails for man up and start my company. Then flip the coin. Don't even look to see the result .... while it is in the air, which did you HOPE would land? That is what your heart / soul / being want to do and believe in. Leave the coin be and go do that.

Whichever route you decide, put 85 hours into it this next week. 85 hours of WORK. Focused work. Not dicking around, not looking out the window, not getting ready to work. Work. GO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You also need a stronger why. What is your 'why'?
That why will power you through all this fear. What is your 'why'?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
What do you think? Obviously, it's an individual decision that I will have to take, but I want to hear opinions from people who are on the same path.
Move closer to work (and/or negotiate a work from home arrangement... even if it's one or two days a week). Now you're commuting less, and have more time to work on the side. You're thinking about quitting anyways... may as well ask and say "if you don't let me do this, I'll quit". If you're doing a good job, and they like you, they may be inclined to work with you.

1 year of expenses in the bank is not really enough and you will burn through it quickly (especially if things don't go well on your own... which is more probable than not). It will likely take you longer than 1 year to build something that will come anywhere near the income you're making as a developer.

I wouldn't quit the day job until your startup / side hustle was showing significant signs of traction.

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
IF you need people on the internet to validate you, you are not ready to be an entrepreneur. Keep working and stacking cash and pretending to be one on the side.

To add a data point, take a regular coin and determine, for example, heads for keep job and tails for man up and start my company. Then flip the coin. Don't even look to see the result .... while it is in the air, which did you HOPE would land? That is what your heart / soul / being want to do and believe in. Leave the coin be and go do that.

Whichever route you decide, put 85 hours into it this next week. 85 hours of WORK. Focused work. Not dicking around, not looking out the window, not getting ready to work. Work. GO MAKE IT HAPPEN!
I agree. I don't need anyone's approval. I have a strong why and it's just fear of the unknown. I know exactly what I want and who I want to be.
It's the fear of "what if", and I know I can put what if to anything I do in life.

I hate working for others and I don't want to have to do anything. I am a free person and the books really made me see understand it and make my passion grow bigger.

About the validation thing. I never really made any huge choice like this and sometimes the right words from the right person can send you in the right direction.

About the coin, I don't need it. All I wanted is people to validate my feelings and whenever I got a message saying I should keep working until something works my heart dropped and I tried to find counter arguments. That's my coin toss.

Thanks! I will go make it happen!

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
Move closer to work (and/or negotiate a work from home arrangement... even if it's one or two days a week). Now you're commuting less, and have more time to work on the side. You're thinking about quitting anyways... may as well ask and say "if you don't let me do this, I'll quit". If you're doing a good job, and they like you, they may be inclined to work with you.

1 year of expenses in the bank is not really enough and you will burn through it quickly (especially if things don't go well on your own... which is more probable than not). It will likely take you longer than 1 year to build something that will come anywhere near the income you're making as a developer.

I wouldn't quit the day job until your startup / side hustle was showing significant signs of traction.
I have over 100k in general and I don't have kids. Only a partner :) so that's more than enough for 2.5-3 years

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Dear Fastlaners.
Recently I am stuck with the question (and fear) of whether or not I should quit my job.
About me:
I am 28 years old and working in tech as a software engineer. I have acquired several skills during my 5 years of experience.
I feel really bad working for other people and I am very passionate about going on my own and working on my projects.
I feel even worse in my current job due to some company bureaucracy and micromanagement.
I am currently working on a project for sports clubs with a partner (Freelancers are doing the heavy lifting of the app) and on a mobile game.
I also want to get myself out there, get to know people, and make people know me via youtube/Instagram/linkedin, etc. (I still need to choose the correct platform for me)
I have enough cash to live off very comfortably (With 0 income) for 1 year and 2 more years' worth of money invested in the stock market.
I have very high certainty that the sports clubs project will provide income in the next 3-6 months and the mobile game has high probability in my opinion.

The commute to my office is 1.5 hours each way (3 hours in a day total, 3 times a week) and I really feel drained when I finally get home (Yet I find the strength to keep on and do at least 1 thing).

This is a very scary step for me to do, but I have a burning passion to go on that way and be an entrepreneur. I have a blast when I work on myself and my projects and I feel way more rejuvenated and happy when I do that.
I am highly aware of the work there is ahead of me and the hard times, but I know I will feel better even if I will fail.
I thought of taking 1 year (1/3 of my net worth) to see how things are going, reasses every few months and if I can't make any progress whatsoever I can always find a job again.

Thanks!
The solution to your problem: Tim Ferriss fear setting. Just do that and you should be alright.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I have over 100k in general and I don't have kids. Only a partner :) so that's more than enough for 2.5-3 years
2-3 years is better.

Amazing how fast savings get burned up without an income though. Faster than you think.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@orelzman ok. start the new adventure. 45 hours per week on the new venture. block it in.
work the existing job in its 45 hour block. do it better than you have ever done it. be indispensable. get reward, praise, and raises.
be the best partner you can be 18 hours per week. make their life amazing.
be the best physical version of you (sleep, workout, eat well) 60 hours per week
raise your game on ALL fronts for the next 4 weeks. be EXTRA. make it happen.

quit talking and do it. F*ck everyone else's opinion. get to your destiny and make the world a better place. LFG.

orelzman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 30, 2023
I appreciate your time and effort. But it's not good enough and I have a better idea in mind. I will use some of the time framework you detailed! Thanks :)
@orelzman ok. start the new adventure. 45 hours per week on the new venture. block it in.
work the existing job in its 45 hour block. do it better than you have ever done it. be indispensable. get reward, praise, and raises.
be the best partner you can be 18 hours per week. make their life amazing.
be the best physical version of you (sleep, workout, eat well) 60 hours per week
raise your game on ALL fronts for the next 4 weeks. be EXTRA. make it happen.

quit talking and do it. F*ck everyone else's opinion. get to your destiny and make the world a better place. LFG.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...