The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to be original

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I just heard a quote from Geddy Lee, bass player from Rush

“What’s originality?

Originality is when you have so many influences that you can’t tell which is which anymore. You can’t tell them anymore. You can’t see them anymore. They’ve all melded.

And as your confidence rises in your craft, your personality steps in front of those influences and that forms your voice”

Go through life with conscious open eyes and see who is winning in different areas. Steal things from them.

In business that looks like taking ideas from one industry and applying it to another. Or talking with people who do things unrelated to what you do. Things like that.

Growing up I would steal mannerisms, beliefs, styles, etc. from people when I saw it working. Steal from one place and use it somewhere else. Do that enough and now you have a unique combination of stolen things that are melded together into something original.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
564%
Apr 17, 2022
That's exactly what I've been doing with your posts. And it works.

I'm stealing your mindset.

Gold thread, as usual.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

“What’s originality?

Originality is when you have so many influences that you can’t tell which is which anymore. You can’t tell them anymore. You can’t see them anymore. They’ve all melded.

And as your confidence rises in your craft, your personality steps in front of those influences and that forms your voice”

Go through life with conscious open eyes and see who is winning in different areas. Steal things from them.

In business that looks like taking ideas from one industry and applying it to another. Or talking with people who do things unrelated to what you do. Things like that.

Growing up I would steal mannerisms, beliefs, styles, etc. from people when I saw it working. Steal from one place and use it somewhere else. Do that enough and now you have a unique combination of stolen things that are melded together into something original.
That's a good one.
Thanks for sharing

piano

Em7(add13) to Fmaj7sus2.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

“What’s originality?

That's great advice.
It's the same when creating music. "Stealing" certain patterns, harmonies and etc. are fine and SHOULD be done if you are new. Over time, you'll pick up what you like and works and you'll have your own, original style, just like you explained.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Aug 8, 2021
That's great advice.
It's the same when creating music. "Stealing" certain patterns, harmonies and etc. are fine and SHOULD be done if you are new. Over time, you'll pick up what you like and works and you'll have your own, original style, just like you explained.
Exactly this. As an aspiring electronic music producer I only listen to original artists such as David Guetta, martin garrix and steve aoki etc, otherwise my own originality might be contaminated which is not good.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

“What’s originality?

Never seen such a well articulated definition of "original" on the internet.

Thanks for sharing

Costa

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
610%
Dec 8, 2022
Zero to Hero
Awesome, never heard such an "original" definition about being original!

PS: I didn't know about "Rush", so I searched them on YT and Holy Moly... Double Prize Thread!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Awesome, never heard such an "original" definition about being original!

PS: I didn't know about "Rush", so I searched them on YT and Holy Moly... Double Prize Thread!

Growing up with Rush was a blessing. They are true music gods.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
I agree! You should actually Steal Like an Artist...Well, that would make a good book title! Oh, wait...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.