The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea: Localize the prosper.com aggregation service

Idea threads

AshanD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jul 29, 2008
Long Beach CA
Some of the biggest businesses online are nothing more than a meeting place for customers. For example, Prosper.com brings together creditors and debtors.

I am thinking about taking a concept like this and localizing it. I imagine a localized site would have the advantage of not requiring everything be handled strictly online. Besides that, my marketing (online and offline) will be targeted towards a very specific region, so I should be able to carve out a niche by doing this.

A miniature prosper.com is my most favorite option because that site is not nearly as well known as ebay/match.com etc, but I know quite a few people with $10k in the bank, wanting to know how to get more than 3% interest on it. Also I believe that these types and especially the folks on the other side, who actually need the money, will be affected quite a bit from inexpensive offline marketing methods (flyers, signs, cold calling)

What do you guys think of this idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I like the idea--a lot. Granted, I know nothing about what type of regulations and legal hoops you'd need to jump thru, but it seems that now is a great time to launch a service like this. ...As a side note, I was on prosper.com about 3 months ago and they were no longer accepting new investors and they weren't taking apps for new loans. In addition, it seems like the site has become more of a lead gen/affiliate site for other lending sites. (Anyone know why?)

Keep us posted! :)

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
I like the idea--a lot. Granted, I know nothing about what type of regulations and legal hoops you'd need to jump thru, but it seems that now is a great time to launch a service like this. ...As a side note, I was on prosper.com about 3 months ago and they were no longer accepting new investors and they weren't taking apps for new loans. In addition, it seems like the site has become more of a lead gen/affiliate site for other lending sites. (Anyone know why?)

Keep us posted! :)

Prosper was essentially shut down by the SEC. I think I remember it had to do with whether users were accredited investors (yearly income of $200k or a new worth of $1MM.)

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
I like the idea too, I'd imagine it would attract a more niche audience, localized to your area, and it might even attract those who are less internet savvy, since you said you'd utilize some offline methods as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
...Why couldn't someone design a site that blending the concepts of Kiva.org and prosper.com? I would think if you were investing in people on a local level, the repayment rate might still be as high as Kiva.

Just a thought.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.