The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you aren't using Facebook ads you are missing out!!

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
This was my first campaign with Facebook, using only one advertisement for a pretty general keyword, and a VERY broad audience. No split testing, no segmenting or use of demographic targeting at all, and only using $100.

2011-05-05_0226 - mrgoodcat0102's library

Where else are you going to get 350,000 impressions, 335 clicks, 160 "likes", for an average of 30 cents?

Anyone else have extensive use/experience with Facebook, I would love to hear about it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We did a few campaigns, trying out different photos and headlines and body copy-- all w/small groups.

We learned from the smaller numbers--

The first ad was geared towards women and had a gal w/a sultry expression. Header was "You Deserve This"

It got ZERO clicks.

My wife saw it and said, "No wonder, the picture is terrible!"

So I did a guy ad-- it also got no clicks!

At that point, I had my wife pick the photos.

First photo she did was great.

Next photo she did was great.

I did the next photo, and it also did great.

Great in the sense of clicks-- but not bookings (we can track that).

We got no Facebook bookings, and spent a few hundred bucks on ads.

I kept my focus to wine lovers in the drive market-- and realized (looking at the ads FB was giving me) that people just click on them out of curiosity-- not b/c they're interested in traveling and staying at a Napa B&B.

For some things, I think FB ads will be amazing.

But for others, I think the ad person really needs to work on finding the write audience for their product.

-Russ H.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
I think facebook adds only work for low price points, and general use services. For example when I'm on facebook I might join a forum and pay a 20 buck fee for info, or buy a coupon for cupcakes. However, I'm just not in the mood to pay 2,000 USD a month for Salesforce just because I like marketing.

Facebook ads should be used for low commitment activities like list building etc. This is just my opinion, anyone else agree/disagree?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Can you set daily limits like with adwords? I've been meaning to start a facebook ad campaign but I've been admittedly lazy with this. :smx4:

Yes, just read through their stuff- it's all in there.

(I'd give you a dope slap and tell you to do your due diligence, but I'm in a good mood today) :banana:

-Russ H.

Double M

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 2, 2011
Boston and New York City
sounds like the "bounce" rate for clicks on the facebook adds are pretty high. (meaning those who visit the sight just exit out right away). i assume that the more attractive the add and more catchy the phrase or description is of the service, the more clicks you would get, but if its not leading to direct sales or customers, whats the point?

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
The problem with Facebook is it is a social network, not a search engine where you are tapping into traffic where someone is actively looking for something.

It needs to be approached very differently and for some markets it just doesn't work.

I don't care if you get 50,000 likes...how much MONEY did that make for you? I see a lot of buzz about getting likes and impressions but no one is talking about profit.

Double M

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 2, 2011
Boston and New York City
The problem with Facebook is it is a social network, not a search engine where you are tapping into traffic where someone is actively looking for something.

It needs to be approached very differently and for some markets it just doesn't work.

I don't care if you get 50,000 likes...how much MONEY did that make for you? I see a lot of buzz about getting likes and impressions but no one is talking about profit.

very true, never thought about it that way. how can you target specific customer bases if its simply a social networking site with millions of people with millions of different interests, where as a search engine your ads will be presented to those who actually searched for the topic. interest= more likely to buy the product. simple logic actually.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas

Thank you for saying this...when creating facebook ads and doing any marketing whatsoever, this is what I always keep in mind. If they don't convert WHO CARES! Waste of money!

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Some of you need to watch this video:
YouTube - Does Google use data from social sites in ranking?

Matt Cutts lead engineer at Google has explicitly said that Likes/Retweets
are now considered signals for Google placement in the SERPS. Meaning a site
with more likes has a better chance of being ranked vs one with no social presence.

Granted this is a more indirect marketing approach, I think of the equation this way.

$100 for 200 likes > Improved SEO > Better Visibility > More Traffic > More Conversions.

Try and spend $100 with Adwords and see how far that gets you....

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Guys-

If you're doing affiliate marketing, then don't waste your time building a social media presence. It will all be worthless if your supply line dries up or google's algorithm goes against you.

But if you're building your own business-- something YOU have control over (ie, product or service that YOU create, not re-sell), then social media should be an integral part of your SEO.

Read some of Gary Vaynerchuk's stuff-- or listen to his keynote here:

[video=youtube;EhqZ0RU95d4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhqZ0RU95d4[/video]

The market is changing, buds. Conversions are key-- but how to get them-- THAT is changing. Fast.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
. . .how can you target specific customer bases if its simply a social networking site with millions of people with millions of different interests, where as a search engine your ads will be presented to those who actually searched for the topic. interest= more likely to buy the product. simple logic actually.

Facebook has the tightest range of demographic targeting available anywhere.

Let's say I only want to target people who live in Beverly Hills and like Starbucks or Gucci.

I can do this on Facebook.

For our inn, I look at our drive market, and restrict our ads to those zip codes.

On top of that-- I only show the ads to people who fit our demographic profiles-- those who are into wine tasting, or Oprah, etc.

You are correct that people are NOT LOOKING TO BUY when they're on FB.

But FB already knows their interests. And if you want to tap into that, you can.

HUGE, if done correctly-- and if it fits your product or service.

-Russ H.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
But FB already knows their interests. And if you want to tap into that, you can.

HUGE, if done correctly-- and if it fits your product or service.

Seriously, the amount FB knows on you, really helps get ad's that the end 'customer' might actually be interested in. I've never (intentionally) clicked on ad's on the internet before but fb has actually managed to serve up 2 ads that I've finally thought "hey, I might like that".

While clicking on 2 isn't a lot by any means, but for someone who has never clicked on ads before it was kind of impacting on me. haha

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I have tried it out for a few different things, couldn't nail down anything that was really working well. I also was trying to track it against bigger events, not smaller ones.

Another key thing to learn as someone had mentioned is that is great for list building and other low engagement activities. Those activities can easily lead to big money however, if, like russ mentioned, you are building a long term business.

Also consider like old school advertising clicks aren't everything, just people seeing your name over and over for a very low price, people that you can explicitly target and show their ad multiple times a day in multiple cenarios, it can be a great branding assister tool.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.