The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inventor's Virtual Meetup

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Today I had a great call with @RightyTighty where we talked about all things inventing. We both thought it would be worthwhile to have a biweekly or monthly virtual meetup of people who like to invent products, so we can share ideas, brainstorm, network, etc.

If you're interested or thinking about inventing a product, currently inventing, or are a part of the inventing chain(engineers/manufacturers/etc.) you are more than welcome to join.

I'd like to keep this on the weekends (probably Saturday) so everyone has the opportunity to take part in this.

I'll propose the first meeting be next Saturday, September 2nd, at 11 AM EST. Below are multiple timezones to reduce confusion:
PDT: 8 AM
MDT: 9 AM
CDT: 10 AM
EST: 11 AM
BST: 4 PM
CEST: 5 PM

Google Meeting Link: Meet

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I dropped the ball last week with posting the date. I didn't want to post a meeting last minute and have people miss the meeting. Next week we will have our meeting.

Next Meeting Information:
Sunday December 10th, 2023:

GMT: 4 PM
CET: 5 PM
IST: 9:30 PM

Meeting Topics:
TBD - If you have ideas, feel free to post

A link will be provided 10 minutes before the meetup.

@MJ DeMarco One week reminder before our next Virtual Inventors Meetup

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Sunday March 10th, 2024:

Meeting Topics:
How to get your invention to market

We are going to be trying something new next meeting. We are going to limit ourselves to a 1-hour meeting. That way, we focus on the most important topics so people have time to do the work they need to do during the weekend.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Hey everyone, I hope everyone had a happy holiday. With the new year here, it means we are starting back to our typical schedule for our Inventors Meetup!

Sunday January 7th, 2024:

Meeting Topics:
Bring topics with you - open meeting

G

Guest050x2

I noticed there's a decent mix of us who are inventors, and those of us in other industries. I feel anyone who attends will find value in it in some way, shape, or form.

Having said that, if you're interested in invention specifically, you should be viewing these meetings as mandatory. In my first 1 hour meeting, the value and quality of the information I received regarding manufacturing, sourcing, and 3D modeling was easily the equivalent of a couple of years (at least) worth of industry experience/knowledge.

These gentlemen truly know their shit, and are exponentially smarter than I. Furthermore, every single one of them seems to be all action and no bullshit. (So, if you do attend, make sure you're actually about it).

If you are an inventor, and you are NOT attending these meetings, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Until next time, gentlemen.

Cheers.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
First Meetup is a wrap. Thanks to @Aidan04 @Spenny @RightyTighty and @MaximOntheRoad for joining the call.

We were able to have each person talk about their current inventions and some of the problems or hurdles we all have to get through. We were able to do a bit of problem-solving, as it seems to be beneficial to have a group of solution-oriented people all in one space helping each other out.

Some general topics we spoke about today:
- Idea generation and filtering out specific ideas;
- Fusion 360 - Parametric - PCB sourcing;
- The limits of Provisional Patent Applications(PPA) and when you should and should not disclose certain information;
- How to validate a prototype without going broke in the process;
- How to protect yourself from competition when a patent is not viable;

There were many other topics that we touched on as well. There was no one theme to the meeting today, except getting to know each other and letting the conversation go down whichever path made sense.

We decided to hold the Inventors Virtual Meetup once a month, as this is less about accountability and more about networking, problem-solving, and sharing ideas/concepts.

If you'd like to join the next meet-up, feel free to join us on October 14th, 2023.

If you wish to hear about a specific topic for next month, feel free to post suggestions. If people want the meetings to be more of an open conversation, I am more than happy to have that be the case as well.

Next Months Meeting Information:
October 14th, 2023:

The link to the Google Meeting will be posted as a new reply just prior to the meeting as well as HERE

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Sunday November 12th, 2023:

Main Topic:
Validating products / killing bad ideas FAST!

Please note, that clocks are changing this week. I tried to adjust accordingly. If you are unsure of the time, the meeting will be held at 11 AM EST(Eastern Standard Time).

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Great meeting today! The next meeting will be in 2 weeks.

Sunday January 21st, 2024:

Meeting Topics:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Sunday March 24th, 2024:

GMT: 3 PM
CET: 4 PM
IST: 8:30 PM

Please indicate if you notice any incorrect time zones. All timezones are based on the Eastern Standard Time(EST) time zone. If you wish your timezone to be added, please let me know either here or on the next call.

We are going to limit ourselves to a 1-hour meeting. That way, we focus on the most important topics so people have time to do the work they need to do during the weekend.

@MJ DeMarco - One-week reminder

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Hi, is it ok to join, though I don`t really know, if I either understand most of it (English) and I don`know, if I have something useful to contribute?
We speak English for the Inventors Meetup.

You are more than welcome to join. There are plenty of people who don't contribute much to the conversation, but are there to simply learn to better understand what inventors do.

If it interests you, maybe it is a path you will take in the future.

I suggest stopping by and checking it out!

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Honestly, this meeting was just different. I mean I haven't been in many sessions overall. However, the advice and support I got in just one session was just amazing. It felt like a strong community of people together, one may even say like a family of inventors together.

If you have no clue or have a question or have some thought - even if you think others won't like. Still come into the meeting and these guys will help you straight away no matter what!

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Shouldn't we have the meeting today? I believe we have agreed to have one in three weeks after the last one.
I dropped the ball last week with posting the date. I didn't want to post a meeting last minute and have people miss the meeting. Next week we will have our meeting.

Sunday December 10th, 2023:

Meeting Topics:
TBD - If you have ideas, feel free to post

I feel like we should all just talk about where we are in our process, and offer any advice we can to each other.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Sunday February 4th, 2024:

Meeting Topics:

This is also a one-week reminder @MJ DeMarco

G

Guest050x2

Wasn't able to attend today due to a conflict, but I was filled in.

I appreciate the feedback, and we've had a good bit of talk on this actually.

These inventor's meetings we host are really more important than any "accountability call", as we talk about in what respect we're getting shit done and how others can improve their craft.

I think other industries or disciplines on the forum such as software development should start up a similar call in this vein.

For the new inventor, these meetings are most certainly mandatory as Spenny, Mikkel, Righty, Nik, and I all have had plenty of experience doing this, and we can give you our knowledge so you don't have to experience our mistakes.
I wish I could give your response both the "heart eyes" and "gold" reactions. Truth be told, I joined up to hear how the meetings play out, and I noticed people from other industries were joining.

I will outright admit, I initially assumed it'd be another one of those "say we're doing things without details" scenarios. I'm enthralled to report I was beyond wrong. These individuals tell you what they're doing, and explain exactly how they're doing it. Openly sharing information, ideologies, etc., and then in-turn, receiving genuinely valuable advice.

I also agree with you regarding forum members involved in other industries following suite. Ever since Andy inspired me to create a thread I can pin and reference to new members, I began writing one out.

Once I've dropped that thread, I believe I'll take your advice, and put a group together for individuals interested in tech. Thank you to all of you for the inspiration.

On somewhat of a personal note, I frequently read your posts. Often times, I find myself agreeing with what I can only describe as some rather solid/valuable insights and perspectives. Combined with your expertise and outright ambition, I have no doubt that before you leave this plane of existence, you will, in fact, leave a dent in the universe.

Cheers.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I noticed there's a decent mix of us who are inventors, and those of us in other industries. I feel anyone who attends will find value in it in some way, shape, or form.

Having said that, if you're interested in invention specifically, you should be viewing these meetings as mandatory. In my first 1 hour meeting, the value and quality of the information I received regarding manufacturing, sourcing, and 3D modeling was easily the equivalent of a couple of years (at least) worth of industry experience/knowledge.

These gentlemen truly know their shit, and are exponentially smarter than I. Furthermore, every single one of them seems to be all action and no bullshit. (So, if you do attend, make sure you're actually about it).

If you are an inventor, and you are NOT attending these meetings, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Cheers.
I'm glad you found value in the meeting. We started the meet-up to share ideas and help each other push our projects forward. Each person has problems they need to overcome, so the groups can help brainstorm solutions. What I love about this group is that each person has their own unique skill set that seems to be extremely valuable.

It is great to find new people from the forum who stop by as well. We get to hear a new perspective with each person who stops by.

Not to pump up the meet-up that I'm a part of, but I wish I had something like this when I first started. It would have saved me many years and a lot of money.

I think other industries or disciplines on the forum such as software development should start up a similar call in this vein.

Once I've dropped that thread, I believe I'll take your advice, and put a group together for individuals interested in tech. Thank you to all of you for the inspiration.
I think this is a phenomenal idea. I see quite a few people from different industries who seem to want to find a home(a meet-up), and inventing might not be exactly the best place, but a tech group may.

@Oso I hope you continue to stop by!

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Dang sorry guys! I’m out of state and this 3hr time difference from what I’m used to threw me!
Don't worry about it. We will have one once a month for people to attend.

BRO IM MISSING EVERY MEETING:humph::humph:

can I join if I aint an inventor?
Of course. You can see how inventors think and how you may go about inventing your own product in the future. See if this is a route you may want to take in the future.

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
This sounds like a good time. I'll try to attend the next one.

My Background:
Avionics Technician on Military Helicopters
Electrical Engineering Technician
Electronics Hardware Engineer

And whatever else I feel like DIY'ing or repairing along the way.
I have done some CAD work and 3d printed the designs for actual use cases.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
One week!

Sunday October 29th, 2023:

Main Topic:
Creating a cheap MVP/Prototype

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

Cheers.
Wasn't able to attend today due to a conflict, but I was filled in.

I appreciate the feedback, and we've had a good bit of talk on this actually.

These inventor's meetings we host are really more important than any "accountability call", as we talk about in what respect we're getting shit done and how others can improve their craft.

For the new inventor, these meetings are most certainly mandatory as Spenny, Mikkel, Righty, Nik, and I all have had plenty of experience doing this, and we can give you our knowledge so you don't have to experience our mistakes.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Regular meetings are a great idea. There doesn’t seem to be a huge population of inventors/physical product developers in the forum, but there is a lot of interest within the group.
@MJ DeMarco , any way scheduled meetings could be pinned?

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Just a reminder that next week is our 2nd Inventors Meetup.

Everyone is welcome to join, but we will still do topics related to inventing.

All topics regarding inventing are welcome though the focus of the meeting next week will be on how to properly validate an invention without breaking the bank.

Below is the time of the meeting.

October 14th, 2023:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco , any way scheduled meetings could be pinned?

Not really, but I'm going figure out a way to get these events/meetups/calls posted and more visible to more users.

October 14th, 2023:

Be on the look out, I'm going to publicize this on the forum's front page so more people attend.

Same with the other meetups that have been occurring spearheaded by @Subsonic and @ZCP

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Can someone give me a recap?

We mostly covered means of market validation:
- Landing page/accepting payment (an ethical problem unless you can actually produce a product quickly).
- Landing page with Buy Box, responding “not available” and collecting email addresses but not accepting payment.
- Landing page without Buy Box, collecting emails of those interested In future purchase.
- Approaching appropriate businesses/entities in the target market to test the product, followed up with a survey.
- Approaching the general public in a public setting to present/demonstrate the product and gather feedback.

We also had a good conversation on IP protection, with varying views expressed. Actual risk is largely dependent on the field of the invention. The general consensus was to address IP protection in accordance with the perceived risk, but to not allow IP fears to keep you from moving forward. First to market is usually the most effective strategy.

We’re going to try meeting every two weeks and see how participation goes. In addition to hearing from each attendees and helping them with any problems, we’ll focus discussion on a main topic in each meeting, to include:
- Idea generation/creative process
- Cost-effective prototype development
- Patent searching/DIY provisional patents
- Sourcing manufacturers
- Monetization - eCommerce, FBA, licensing

More to come. We’ll be looking for you next meeting!

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Sunday April 7th, 2024:

GMT: 3 PM
CET: 4 PM
IST: 8:30 PM

Please indicate if you notice any incorrect time zones. All timezones are based on the Eastern Standard Time(EST) time zone. If you wish your timezone to be added, please let me know either here or on the next call.

We are going to limit ourselves to a 1-hour meeting. That way, we focus on the most important topics so people have time to do the work they need to do during the weekend.

@MJ DeMarco - One-week reminder

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.