The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just a rant... this path is brutal

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just a rant..

This path is brutal.

Finally cracked youtube, and made a viral video. 200k views within a month of posting and got monetised. Also got 1k subs within a month.
For context, I made a remix of a famous song, which kicked butt. The channel is music based, and in my stupidity I reached out to the artist and shared him the link.

Within the next couple of days after reaching out to him, I get copyright strike. Dispute it, and it get declined.

Back to drawing board.

Feel like smashing my fkn head against a wall.

I get the two pills. Red and Blue.

The job is so much easier. But you are just a rat in a cog.

Breaking free is brutal.

Back to drawing board

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Why do you rant?

You have proven that you have a skill, you can leverage.

Why don't you concentrate on remixing stuff that is not copyrighted but popular? People make mixes of Ciao Bella or Turkish March of Mozart for years.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Why do you rant?

You have proven that you have a skill, you can leverage.

Why don't you concentrate on remixing stuff that is not copyrighted but popular? People make mixes of Ciao Bella or Turkish March of Mozart for years.
I'm just learning about this world now. It confuses the shit out of me.

I basically did do a remix. Naturally, I have to use the same melody, which I got from a midi, and created / composed everything myself.

Didnt sample or anything.

Apparently, the order in which musical notes are arranged (ie. a melody), is copyrighted.

Its a F*cking joke.

I'm looking into legal ways in which I can circumvent it. Maybe reach out to this artist again, but he comes across as a douche bag.

I can turn off monetisation for that video as a 'F*ck you', but maybe i can come to a split agreement with him.

I dont know how others can do remix's and get away with it. Still new to this. Feels like an industry full of dark personalities wanting to F*ck each other over

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022

I basically did do a remix. Naturally, I have to use the same melody, which I got from a midi, and created / composed everything myself.

Apparently, the order in which musical notes are arranged (ie. a melody), is copyrighted.

Its a F*cking joke.

I'm looking into legal ways in which I can circumvent it. Maybe reach out to this artist again, but he comes across as a douche bag.

I can turn off monetisation for that video as a 'F*ck you', but maybe i can come to a split agreement with him.

I dont know how others can do remix's and get away with it. Still new to this. Feels like an industry full of dark personalities wanting to F*ck each other over
I have to side with the artist on this one.

There's next to no barrier to entry on music nowadays. Sure, your creativity is unlimited and up to you as an individual. But, I mean... let's be real, any retard can make a song that's complete shit, throw it on sound cloud, and just say, "yeah, bruv, you just don't understand my style." And they'll get away with it/make money because with mumble rap, what passes for "rap" these days, trash country, etc. music has been transformed into a joke.

Was it "Sexxy Redd" or "Ice Spice" that won, "Best New Entertainer of the Year" or whatever? I don't pay attention to that shit, but I remember someone telling me one of them won. That's what passes for music nowadays? Lol. K.

Back to my point: if they managed to create a viral song, not a single part of me blames them for wanting to do everything they can to ride that wave (and protect it) for as long as they can because chances are they're going to be a one-hit wonder.

If you want to stick to music, I'd say you're going to have to stand out. And tbfh with you? That really shouldn't be hard considering your audience is telling you what they/we want.

"Man, I'm sick of all this shit music with no soul."
"Man, do you remember when even the melodies had meaning? Yeah, me too." (Idk if that's the right word.)
"Damn, I wish I could at least understand what he's saying."
"I'm sick of all these Xanax-addicted douches with face tats."
Etc.

Was it last year that douche from North Dakota or whatever made that country song that everyone tried to buy for 25M overnight? And he only made 1 song. Wild, eh?

TL;DR: There's a reason I still listen to System of a Down.

Cheers.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Its a F*cking joke.

How dare that artist stop you profiting from his work!!

Recorded music might be worthless in the wallet of the consumer, but that doesn’t mean you can take other people’s work and reuse it for yourself.

A better way to do this would be like you said, arrange splits in advance.

Reach out to that artist who put a copyright strike on you and say something like “hey that remix got 200k views, would you be interested in having me do some more remixes to promote your music and doing a split on them?”

You now have a proof of concept you can use to try and make deals.

But don’t be entitled to other people’s work.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I don’t think a copyright strike is that brutal.

How many times have you received lawsuit threats? How many physically threats have you received? How many vehicles of yours have employees damaged? How many times does someone lie to your face each week? How many times have you been stolen from?

Enough for it to happen and you just call it a Tuesday?

You need to learn how to stomach problems that would make other men puke or cry or both.

The one trait of big time winners is they can stomach the crazy stuff and they treat it like a day at the office. Navy seals, ceos, etc. they all stay cool and they’re dealing with insane things. Bombs going off, 50 million dollar mergers, stuff like that. Stuff that would make me sweat, and they just call it a Tuesday.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
You sound very entitled.

Why on earth does someone have to give you credit for something he has created?

I am in engineering and nobody can really use something patented without royalties. Especially while getting such an apparent commercial advantage. If I use a patented design, I cannot complain.

I am currently working in a technical consulting company, where we made a design for a pipe company, you all probably know of. It is a novel design because the flow inside the pipe is engineered and the profile of the pipe is 3D-optimized, so that the flow does not clog/vacuum. It is a patented design.

Now we are paid by their RIVAL company to make another pipe design that achieves the same purpose (allowing flow of high volumes, without creating clogging/vacuum) without touching the other patent.

Basically, we are paid to reinvent the same device. It is a stupid pipe really, just in a strange shape.

The rival company puts around a million into reinventing a pipe. (in your case, this translates to finding a new melody giving the same entertainment)

They do not complain about the pipe design being copyrighted and they cannot reproduce it.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Just a rant..

This path is brutal.

Finally cracked youtube, and made a viral video. 200k views within a month of posting and got monetised. Also got 1k subs within a month.
For context, I made a remix of a famous song, which kicked butt. The channel is music based, and in my stupidity I reached out to the artist and shared him the link.

Within the next couple of days after reaching out to him, I get copyright strike. Dispute it, and it get declined.

Back to drawing board.

Breaking free is brutal.

Back to drawing board
They are pretty strict with audio and visual content particularly audio. Youtube doesn’t want to get lawsuits targeted at themselves.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I don’t think a copyright strike is that brutal.

How many times have you received lawsuit threats? How many physically threats have you received? How many vehicles of yours have employees damaged? How many times does someone lie to your face each week? How many times have you been stolen from?

Enough for it to happen and you just call it a Tuesday?

You need to learn how to stomach problems that would make other men puke or cry or both.

The one trait of big time winners is they can stomach the crazy stuff and they treat it like a day at the office. Navy seals, ceos, etc. they all stay cool and they’re dealing with insane things. Bombs going off, 50 million dollar mergers, stuff like that. Stuff that would make me sweat, and they just call it a Tuesday.
Fair call. Suck it up buttercup. I guess at the time I was feeling overwhelmed with everything and life and this was the icing on the cake. Ive tried many things, and this one took.. yet it was a throwback when it was just false hopes.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You sound very entitled.

Why on earth does someone have to give you credit for something he has created?

I am in engineering and nobody can really use something patented without royalties. Especially while getting such an apparent commercial advantage. If I use a patented design, I cannot complain.

I am currently working in a technical consulting company, where we made a design for a pipe company, you all probably know of. It is a novel design because the flow inside the pipe is engineered and the profile of the pipe is 3D-optimized, so that the flow does not clog/vacuum. It is a patented design.

Now we are paid by their RIVAL company to make another pipe design that achieves the same purpose (allowing flow of high volumes, without creating clogging/vacuum) without touching the other patent.

Basically, we are paid to reinvent the same device. It is a stupid pipe really, just in a strange shape.

The rival company puts around a million into reinventing a pipe. (in your case, this translates to finding a new melody giving the same entertainment)

They do not complain about the pipe design being copyrighted and they cannot reproduce it.
I reworked the song. The only thing that was used was the melody which was obtained by a midi file. ITs common practice. I created a different composition and sounds all together. It would be fair if I just copied all elements and put it out there, but that was not the case.

Im looking at the postive. I found a niche market and this video has connected me with an audience.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How dare that artist stop you profiting from his work!!

Recorded music might be worthless in the wallet of the consumer, but that doesn’t mean you can take other people’s work and reuse it for yourself.

A better way to do this would be like you said, arrange splits in advance.

Reach out to that artist who put a copyright strike on you and say something like “hey that remix got 200k views, would you be interested in having me do some more remixes to promote your music and doing a split on them?”

You now have a proof of concept you can use to try and make deals.

But don’t be entitled to other people’s work.
I didnt copy his work. I used a melody which was from a midi file. The composition is completely different and there are differnet sounds. Its called in legal terms 'interpolation'.

You are right in that I have found proof of concept and will run with it for now..

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I didnt copy his work. I used a melody which was from a midi file. The composition is completely different and there are differnet sounds. Its called in legal terms 'interpolation'.

You are right in that I have found proof of concept and will run with it for now..
“I didn’t copy his work, I copied his work”

If you take a book, hand write the contents onto a new piece of paper, you’ve copied the book.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
If you take a book, hand write the contents onto a new piece of paper, you’ve copied the book.
If you take a paper, write some letters and happen to write the same letters as in some book, you have also copied that book.

Even if you had the best of intentions.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I didnt copy his work. I used a melody which was from a midi file.

You copied only the most useful part of his work for your own benefit?

Just because something is common practice, doesn't make it right.

But I'll go a step further:
  1. Congratulations. You've learned how to create something, even if it's not working perfectly. Pat yourself on the back and know that you are a capable human being.
  2. The creator space is owned by the giants. Youtube is the most generous on the profit splits, but it still takes what? 45%? Meta takes 99%... right? It begs a question for me, if you are in a creator economy, how can you up the odds (even if you created everything original) to succeed?
  3. Given your skills, what inconveniences (annoying things) you see that if you solved them, someone would pay you for your solution? Are there issues with hardware? Software? Community events? What's wrong or inconvenient that needs fixing?
  4. Lawsuits threats. What if you ran a business in a way that only idiots would want to sue you? I'd call that a Good Business (Charles Koch has a book with that title...). Maybe your issue today is just a nudge to see if you can correct your parts to something better and more reliable?
  5. CENTS - last but not least, it's probably the most useful concept I've come across in decades. Think of it like collecting points, the more you get, the more you'll succeed. What can you do now, what ONE thing can you do now to make your tomorrow's CENTS better?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Just a rant..

This path is brutal.

Back to drawing board.

Breaking free is brutal.

Back to drawing board
In chess we do post games review.

1) Your remix strategy worked.
2) It’s NOT surprising that youtube cracks down on audio content copyrights issues diligently and religiously. I know it even I am not into music. I am sure you know much better. It is just to cover their own a$$. Video content you can try to “fair use” tactics as long as the duration is not long. Plenty of movies review channels there. I am pretty sure if they have been that strict in movies and videos these review channel would never make it.

There is zero enforcement on words content. I make contents on YT outright reading from Bloomberg articles through screen sharing. I am doing financial news commentary.

3)If you are purely money chasing, you can outright repeat the stunts with multiple accounts. Creating remix of different songs and never link it to the original author again. Earn as much ad sense revenue before some the accounts get banned.

Youtube wants to protect copyrights only to the extend that they are not personally liable. They are not here to protect intellectual properties rights. They are here to split advs revenue with creators. If you understand how the game is being played you can see youtube deliberately leave a lot of loopholes for creators to exploit.

They recognise creators by youtube accounts not bank accounts. You can have ten accounts linking to the same bank accounts, with ten of them doing the same sheet, and if a few get taken down due to complaints, the rest can work as per normal. Is it because Youtube with the best AI and data science in the world cannot identify you? Think again

And there have been people lifting contents directly from bilibili to youtube. If you are first in youtube even with a stolen content it’s marked as first, and another pirate lifting the same content gets flagged out as this content appeared in youtube before. Even if the original content creator comes to youtube he or she has a hard time proving themselves. This loophole existed for years before they fixed it recently after repeated complaints from creators from other platforms.

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
Yikes! That sucks. I wonder if they struck you with copyrights after the video went viral. Why don't they do it automatically?

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You copied only the most useful part of his work for your own benefit?

Just because something is common practice, doesn't make it right.

But I'll go a step further:
  1. Congratulations. You've learned how to create something, even if it's not working perfectly. Pat yourself on the back and know that you are a capable human being.
  2. The creator space is owned by the giants. Youtube is the most generous on the profit splits, but it still takes what? 45%? Meta takes 99%... right? It begs a question for me, if you are in a creator economy, how can you up the odds (even if you created everything original) to succeed?
  3. Given your skills, what inconveniences (annoying things) you see that if you solved them, someone would pay you for your solution? Are there issues with hardware? Software? Community events? What's wrong or inconvenient that needs fixing?
  4. Lawsuits threats. What if you ran a business in a way that only idiots would want to sue you? I'd call that a Good Business (Charles Koch has a book with that title...). Maybe your issue today is just a nudge to see if you can correct your parts to something better and more reliable?
  5. CENTS - last but not least, it's probably the most useful concept I've come across in decades. Think of it like collecting points, the more you get, the more you'll succeed. What can you do now, what ONE thing can you do now to make your tomorrow's CENTS better?
Hi AntiFragile,

Thank you for this. I need to brainstorm these out.

Valuable questions.

Thank you

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In chess we do post games review.

1) Your remix strategy worked.
2) It’s NOT surprising that youtube cracks down on audio content copyrights issues diligently and religiously. I know it even I am not into music. I am sure you know much better. It is just to cover their own a$$. Video content you can try to “fair use” tactics as long as the duration is not long. Plenty of movies review channels there. I am pretty sure if they have been that strict in movies and videos these review channel would never make it.

There is zero enforcement on words content. I make contents on YT outright reading from Bloomberg articles through screen sharing. I am doing financial news commentary.

3)If you are purely money chasing, you can outright repeat the stunts with multiple accounts. Creating remix of different songs and never link it to the original author again. Earn as much ad sense revenue before some the accounts get banned.

Youtube wants to protect copyrights only to the extend that they are not personally liable. They are not here to protect intellectual properties rights. They are here to split advs revenue with creators. If you understand how the game is being played you can see youtube deliberately leave a lot of loopholes for creators to exploit.

They recognise creators by youtube accounts not bank accounts. You can have ten accounts linking to the same bank accounts, with ten of them doing the same sheet, and if a few get taken down due to complaints, the rest can work as per normal. Is it because Youtube with the best AI and data science in the world cannot identify you? Think again

And there have been people lifting contents directly from bilibili to youtube. If you are first in youtube even with a stolen content it’s marked as first, and another pirate lifting the same content gets flagged out as this content appeared in youtube before. Even if the original content creator comes to youtube he or she has a hard time proving themselves. This loophole existed for years before they fixed it recently after repeated complaints from creators from other platforms.
Hey Kevin,

Interesting post and advice.

Not too keen on spamming youtube / get banned system, but interesting proposition.

I've definitely hit some chord (no pun intended) with this and the algorithm has connected to an audience who are interested.

The whole music industry with regards to intellectual property rights are grey and wishy washy. Sampling and re-purposing melodies is such common practice in the music industry. Daft Punk, Moby, 2-Pac, Michael Jackson, Black Eye Peas, list is endless.

Some got sued, some didnt.

What is deemed acceptable and non-acceptable is like trying to get across a minefield.

Going to brainstorm some ideas today.

Cheers for the reply

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I mean 200k views on a music video, you probably lost what? $200?

If this is how you plan to monetise your music you are going to have a hard time

Artists make money off merch, brand deals and shows now

Let him have his $200

Think a little more long term and bigger

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
Recently, I began doing some workouts I found on YouTube, and they use music for their videos. I mean most of the modern songs. How come their videos aren't banned? Do they have some sort of license?

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I see your point of view, and get it... but with music .. its not as binary. Lots of grey areas.

Have a look at this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vINucvOOws

Thanks for replying too btw
Recently, I began doing some workouts I found on YouTube, and they use music for their videos. I mean most of the modern songs. How come their videos aren't banned? Do they have some sort of license?
Either the videos aren’t monetised, or the adshare revenue is king to the copyright holders.

Rights holders can have videos taken down, or take the money from them.

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
Either the videos aren’t monetised, or the adshare revenue is king to the copyright holders.

Rights holders can have videos taken down, or take the money from them.
So, you are saying all these music playlists share profits because of the copyrights, right?

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
So, you are saying all these music playlists share profits because of the copyrights, right?
YouTube can detect the music in videos. If a song registered with ContentID is in a video, that video is going to get a copyright strike.

Unless the rights holder whitelists the video, royalties will goto the rights holders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.