The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Needs to be said... sell the DAMN motorcycle.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
"Riding a motorbike is dangerous" is the kind of conventional wisdom that everyone knows is true but many have not taken it seriously enough.
I imagine it's on par with how everyone knows cigs are bad for them but some people still smoke. Perhaps also like racking up CC debt: that's tomorrow me's problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Was driving to the shops for lunch a few weeks ago, the car in front of me turned right, didn't see the motorbike and smashed straight into him. I got out as did others, by the time I got to him someone was on the phone to an ambulance, and another guy was comforting him. I looked around and was thinking shit this guys lucky if there's nothing serious internally. Then a saw a spot of blood. Then I saw his leg below the knee was a metre away. Just the knee bone sticking out. Horrific.

Finally closed the chapter of life of ever wanting a bike. He was riding down a straight road, a car doesn't see him and now he's lost a leg.

On another note was in Florida during the big biker convention in Daytona and blew my mind seeing no one wearing helmets. I understand if you come off doing 100km an hour you probably die anyway but geez, surely wear a helmet and try protect your head?

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Spent a few days in Athens, Greece and everybody rides motorbikes because of the traffic. Loads riding with no helmets... crazy

Had a few days of thoughts about getting a bike here in my city as the traffic is insane and it'd save me so much time everyday... but is it worth saving a few hours a week only to potentially die or be permanently injured after a few years.

Thats another statistic we need to include here. I presume motorcyclists who crash and live typically have much worse injuries than the average person who ends up in a car crash.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
At 34, I've been riding since about 20. Hell, directly after purchasing my Type R, I purchased a new Yamaha R1.

Grew up around bikes, lost my best friend in a crash in 2012. Someone ran a stop sign and t-boned him. They pulled the plug 3 days later. Never caught the person.

Riding was ingrained in me from day 1, and despite breaking most of my major bones at least once (cornfields and collar bones don't mix; thanks, deer), I'd still do it all over again.

I am fully prepared to die doing something I love.

"4 wheels move your body, 2 wheels move your soul." - Biker Boyz

(P.S. I also don't ride like a jackass despite being on a crotch rocket. But still: you can't control bad drivers, so there's always some form of risk.)

(P.S.S. RIP homie. Not a day goes by I don't miss you.)

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
An acquaintance had an accident with a motorcyclist last week. He was stopped at a stop light in his car.

A motorcyclist ran full speed no brakes into the back of his stopped car.

He said the motorcyclist was pretty busted up with a jacked up leg and a neck brace and he wasn't all there mentally.

The motorcyclist died later at the hospital.

Stolen bike so no insurance. No helmet.

ChasingDream97

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 19, 2023
I think some doctors and EMTs call them "donor cycles." I read somewhere that riders account for a shockingly high amount of organ donations. Takes about 2 seconds to go from "healthy 25 year old in perfect health" to organ donor.
My only reason for not owning one.
I'm too young to die like that

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My wife always says, "A lot worse can happen than death."

Yes, like becoming a quadriplegic. Like becoming mentally disabled, like losing your ability to talk, walk, eat, or have children, or worse, losing your wife or child seated behind you, and having to live like that for the next 40 years...

At this point, I think smoking two packs of cigarettes a day while working at a gas refinery is safer than riding a bike in public.

"4 wheels move your body, 2 wheels move your soul." - Biker Boyz

Yup, straight into heaven or hell.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
another one for me is bunjee jumping or skydiving. the risk is extremely low of dying, but you don't need to die to not be a statistic. in other words, many people survive but their body is completely ruined.

watching that youtube channel "JointheTeem" with their Friday Freakout episodes, certainly sealed that off the bucket list for me.

I don't advise watching too many of these videos, they are honestly adrenaline inducing. The number of near catastrophic failures is crazy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZjxWlO6wg

I have around 60 jumps and worked at a skydiving place for half a year...
The biggest risk brackets are brand new people and people with a lot of jumps.

The brand new people are of course inexperienced.

The people with a lot of jumps start to get bored, so they start upping the stakes.
One of the ways they do that is high performance canopies and low altitude manoeuvres.

So basically coming in really fast and doing some big turn right as you land.

In between this is quite safe. If you get some experience and then don't get bored with landing a little slower you are very safe. But human nature kicks in... and people want to up the trills.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Yup, straight into heaven or hell.
If such places exist, we're all bound for one of them someday regardless. At least I can say I was living my life exactly as I wanted to. Isn't that the point of having the very freedom we're working for?

Cheers.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Statistically, you are most likely to die in a hospital. So if you avoid going to the hospital, you will live longer.
View attachment 49384

You joke, but that's actually what we did with my grandmother who had a severe case of COVID. Severe as in she was 100% going to get intubated since, apart from everything else, her oxygen sat was in the low 70s...

But just a few weeks prior my girlfriend's grandfather had died in the hospital after being intubated with the EXACT same symptoms and severity. And both had the same age and comorbidities.

Our family friend doc that works in the local ER told us that the hospital conditions were so bad and that the doctors had it all oh so wrong that we'd be better off treating her at home.

"We admit people who are in her condition every day. They all get "walked out" of the hospital legs-first."

In other words, dead.

So, by her recommendation, we rented an oxygen machine (got her sat back to mid-90s immediately!) and all of the other meds that they used in the hospital.

Before she left us to it, she also told us a story of a very old woman in a local village—who lived alone and did not want to die in the hospital—with a bad case of COVID and an oxygen saturation in the 60s for TWO WEEKS. She somehow pulled through and made a full recovery.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself but share this story.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I always knew what you meant and today I went on a kiddie dirt bike (big ones are too fast, they’re racing ones)

I was getting the hang of it and you turn the throttle down to go, I did it a little too fast and I starting standing.

But it speeds up even more and I go flying, luckily I flew off and didn’t get my leg crushed between the exhaust and a rock.

Not really bad but still, I was going 10 mph.

I can’t imagine what it’s like on 30-50.

I still have trouble walking.

it looks like a bear scratched my whole leg then bit my inner knee.

My leg is also still in shock, even 9 hours after.

My other leg isn’t bad but still. Im blessed I got out only with this.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Man in his 20s... he was also wearing a helmet.

Not just this man died, but the lives of those around him will suffer... parents, siblings, schoolmates...

1693144797125.png

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Man in his 20s... he was also wearing a helmet.

Not just this man died, but the lives of those around him will suffer... parents, siblings, schoolmates...

View attachment 50998
It’s sad.

A few days ago on the news a 17 year old was smashed on his motorcycle.

He was a kid still, not even passed his teens.

Imagine what his parents were feeling after their baby, who just got their license dies on a motorcycle.

17-year-old dies in motor vehicle collision in Markham, Ont.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Acquaintance of mine lost his legs a couple weekends ago in a bad motorcycle crash.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Acquaintance of mine lost his legs a couple weekends ago in a bad motorcycle crash.
Do you know how he is doing? Is he getting physical, emotional, and psychological help?

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
Was driving to the shops for lunch a few weeks ago, the car in front of me turned right, didn't see the motorbike and smashed straight into him. I got out as did others, by the time I got to him someone was on the phone to an ambulance, and another guy was comforting him. I looked around and was thinking shit this guys lucky if there's nothing serious internally. Then a saw a spot of blood. Then I saw his leg below the knee was a metre away. Just the knee bone sticking out. Horrific.

Finally closed the chapter of life of ever wanting a bike. He was riding down a straight road, a car doesn't see him and now he's lost a leg.

On another note was in Florida during the big biker convention in Daytona and blew my mind seeing no one wearing helmets. I understand if you come off doing 100km an hour you probably die anyway but geez, surely wear a helmet and try protect your head?
I have got a full motorbike licence "Obtained in the uk" where there is strict training to pass for a full licence.I will always appreciate my category to ride a big bike becuse I have it for life.

I have a full motorbike licence which I will always appreciate and have for life amongst other categories.What I have been tourght is"WHAT IF!".What if that car pulls out what if that kid runs in the road which did happen and I was expecting it to happen.I think all accidents happen due to human error.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I have got a full motorbike licence "Obtained in the uk" where there is strict training to pass for a full licence.I will always appreciate my category to ride a big bike becuse I have it for life.

I have a full motorbike licence which I will always appreciate and have for life amongst other categories.What I have been tourght is"WHAT IF!".What if that car pulls out what if that kid runs in the road which did happen and I was expecting it to happen.I think all accidents happen due to human error.
Agree, this accident was 100% driver error, nothing the motorbike rider could have done to avoid it. Not for me thanks!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I freaking hate those damn motorcycles a lot :)

You see the above, I see this:

1700938074917.png

Although sadly, flying around a race track on a motorcycle going 150 mph is far safer than driving the freeway at 75mph surrounded by distracted idiots. If you're gonna do it, that's the way to do it! No one to blame but yourself!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I freaking hate those damn motorcycles a lot :)
I love watching MotoGP racing, but it's funny to hear the best riders in the world talk about how dangerous it is to ride on the street. Hell, 2006 champion Nicky Hayden was killed riding a bicycle on the street.

That's a nice looking bike though. I really have to wonder what bikers do with all that power though. My 1978 Yamaha YZ80 2 stroke that weighed 15 tonnes had more than enough power for me hahaha.

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
Although sadly, flying around a race track on a motorcycle going 150 mph is far safer than driving the freeway at 75mph surrounded by distracted idiots. If you're gonna do it, that's the way to do it! No one to blame but yourself!
It's SAFER by FAR than the street, but I've still seen many crashes due to other idiots on the racetrack.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
Because motorbikes and unregulated traffic are very common in India, so is death in motorbike accidents. While going through the post, I could immediately think of 3 motorbike deaths of people I personally knew. While one was around 35 years and had a year-old child, the other two were just 20 and 22.

Another guy, who lives just about 2 kms from my place, has been injured so badly in another accident, that he can’t eat anymore. He’s been fitted with a tube going into his nostrils, through which he is fed with only liquid food and medicines. Old memories were lost. His old-age father runs a tiny haircut shop earning a very little income.

Few years ago, in another instance of a motorbike accident, a young man was run over by a lorry. He was reported to had been conscious for about 20 minutes after his legs were cut off from his upper body. Just imagine the decisions he would be regretting at that moment—dream of owning the motorbike, buying the motorbike, struggles he went through to buy that machine—which ultimately landed him in the middle of the road as two pieces.
(He bravely donated the organ before his last breath)
View: https://youtu.be/Z8aI9uyKLnc
(non-English audio)
People only buy bikes in India because most families in India are broke asf.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfob0xOBn1s

In fact, A billionaire in India Ratan Tata saw this very problem and made a $3000 car so that the poor in India could afford it.
This car was the Nano, a legendary but most shit car with small a$$ wheels.
1513447045-0442.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another motorcyclist dead who did nothing wrong but putting himself on the road with 1000s of distracted morons.

1711591879162.png

1711592061439.png

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Hadn't seen this thread before but agree with it 100%. I had an SV650 and nice gear and sold the bike after 2 months or so of riding it. I felt "well I am not some crazy rider like those daredevils I see so the stats won't really apply to me".

Yeah, no, didn't matter how I drove people just do not see/care for motorcycles on the road. Their one little mistake = them going home with a dent in their car, you going to the morgue.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hadn't seen this thread before but agree with it 100%. I had an SV650 and nice gear and sold the bike after 2 months or so of riding it. I felt "well I am not some crazy rider like those daredevils I see so the stats won't really apply to me".

Yeah, no, didn't matter how I drove people just do not see/care for motorcycles on the road. Their mistake one little mistake = them going home with a dent in their car, you going to the morgue.
It is still a topic that doesn’t attract much regulatory attention. I think it is also because motor cyclists are still a very minority. So their death stats didn’t matter that much yet.

This is unlike alcohol and tobacco with taxes, regulations and mandatory warning labels.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.