The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No Caffeine & Spending for 7 Days

SirKonstantine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jun 10, 2011
Weird Goal huh?

So, I was wondering why I've been feeling tired, drowsy, and unmotivated on some days for the past few months. Like, I would wake up and feel drowsy, drink some caffeinated thing, still feel drowsy, go work out, get home tired, etc. Like, if I was in a club, I would feel too tired to even have fun... and I love clubs =[.

Than, I also wondered why, no matter how much I try, I can never seem to spend less money every month. Like, my monthly spending is ALWAYS the same no matter what I do.

Like, if I look at my credit card history, I can remember every purchase and I can always remember my logic for buying that thing.

Like "Oh yeah, that day Nick visited me from Michigan and we decided to go to Hofbrahhaus since I love the beer there... $30."
Or "Oh, on that day, I got a deal on a humidifier since my nose has been acting up lately."

There is ALWAYS a "good reason" to why I spent that cash... so I think my problem is not careless spending but more like... "smart" spending--what one does to backwards rationalize his spending.

Anyways, I decided to break the habit...

So, I decided to STOP SPENDING for 7 days.

Along with that, no caffeine as well.

Day1: Slept for 20 of the 24 hours. God damn Caffeine is a crazy drug.
Day2: Felt TIRED all day. Unmotivated. Could not think. Very "dull" in the head. Just layed on the couch watching MMA videos all day.
Day3: Sleep a ridiculous amount. Had huge caffeine cravings. Wanted to shoot myself because of cravings.
Day4: Woke up feeling rejuvenated. Slept AMAZING. Had an awesome 3 hour workout.
Day5: Today. Doing good.

I heard it takes up to 6 weeks to fully shake yourself off of caffeine.

Now, after a few days of cold turkey, I feel much more alive. I also sleep WAY better.

As for the spending, I think its just a habit. Like, you have a habit of spending money and, by going cold turkey, you break the habit. Because, right now, I have no urge to buy anything. In fact, I was at walmart to get some CD-Rs, seen the prices, and said screw that. Old me would of just bought them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Remember cash is king, and if you buy something it's either because you will die without it (medical) or will cost you more in the long run like (toothpaste = rotten teeth). And it will be profitable (like office supplies).

Rent is a unnecessary item for me, and I rather go homeless then pay for it. True story. I am that frugal. But I am not stupid, I can find ways to live without a home if needed, and maintain college/work. But it all comes down to cost analysis... to everything. I won't clean a place up for 30-40 hrs in an exchange for food/home, maybe cash... since cash is king. Why is cash is king? Materialistic goods are temporary, but money can get you out of emergencies if needed, it can give you freedom if saved up, and only a little bit can go a long way if you are smart about it.

i am also not that frugal to the point I will not pay for a cell phone, you need that to survive for job purposes, boyfriends, family

That's my logic to buying things, and I always go for the discount items. I can save about 85-90% of what I get from my job. Oh, I don't drive so I move to cities with bus transportation

What is so bad about caffeine? I need some, but it's just... too pricy to buy it, and I am too lazy to buy it online lol.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So how did your experiment work out? Did you change your behaviour after it finished?

Btw, why do you do 3 hour workouts? I'm doing very heavy 30min max workouts and at the end I'm so tired I can barely step in the shower. I think 3 hours is waste of time.

@Lights: You're weird.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 15, 2011
Funny you posted this. My caffeine cease starts tomorrow morning. Typically, I drink around 3-4 Venti Americanos a day and perhaps an energy drink/powder of some sort on top of that... And just like you have stated, feel absolutely exhausted no matter how much I drink. Nasty stuff caffeine can be.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just for the hell of it. I have enough food and gas to last me all week. I am going to try to make it to Friday. Then I will throw all of the money at what's left of my student loan.

jljtech

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2012
Florida
Typically, I drink around 3-4 Venti Americanos a day and perhaps an energy drink/powder of some sort on top of that
MY goodness! Your caffeine receptors have to be shot! Take a month off an you will notice a huge difference in your natural energy levels.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Funny you posted this. My caffeine cease starts tomorrow morning. Typically, I drink around 3-4 Venti Americanos a day and perhaps an energy drink/powder of some sort on top of that... And just like you have stated, feel absolutely exhausted no matter how much I drink. Nasty stuff caffeine can be.

At one point, I was drinking two Monsters a day. When I stopped, I had really bad headaches for about ten days. Good luck :)

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 15, 2011
MY goodness! Your caffeine receptors have to be shot! Take a month off an you will notice a huge difference in your natural energy levels.

Go big or go home right? And yes already feeling massive headaches.

SirKonstantine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jun 10, 2011
Finished the first seven days. Gonna do round 2 this week.

What I learned from 10 days caffeine free so far:
-After those withdraw days, my energy level is more steady now. No crazy upswings and no crazy downswings. Just plane old "normal." Also, my sleep schedule improved a lot. I also sleep MUCH deeper now--like crazy vivid HD dreams.
-I'm very proud at my strength of will cuz those withdraw days were insane. Like, I would have cravings and just eat everything in the fridge. Crazy.

7 days of no spending:
-By staying home, eating groceries, and just having nothing else to do, I was SUPER productive.
-When I finally went out on day 8 to eat at this thai place, I felt VERY happy. It was cuz i felt like i DESERVE this. After 7 days of hard work, treating myself to a nice meal feels awesome.
-I also noticed that my impulsiveness went down. It is as if saying "no" to buying things is a habit you need to develop.

SirKonstantine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jun 10, 2011
Btw, why do you do 3 hour workouts? I'm doing very heavy 30min max workouts and at the end I'm so tired I can barely step in the shower. I think 3 hours is waste of time.

I train here Wanderlei Silva - Wand Fight Team! Las Vegas, NV

MWF: 1hr brazilion jiu-jitsu, 1hr MMA conditioning, 1hr muay thai
TTh: 1-2hr boxing, 1hr muay thai

The first few days I went to the gym, I had to wait half an hour before my arms recovered enough so that I could steer the steering wheel.

SirKonstantine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jun 10, 2011
Just got my credit card statement today...

I slashed my credit card bill in half thanks to this challenge.

Yeah!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I usually drink a low carb monster a day, and have a diet coke or two on top of that. Time to quit that shit!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.