The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Obsessed to be the best

Anything related to matters of the mind

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Because I was born very intelligent, I’ve been trained from youth to accept nothing but being the very best at what I do.

As a result, I’ve developed a very obsessive personality - it’s not enough to succeed at something for me, I must know WHY I have been successful and what the key to that success is. Because it is only such knowledge that can guarantee success in the future.

I also have OCD, an anxiety disorder that manifests through obsessive thinking about potentially bad things that can happen.

This is both a gift and a curse.

A curse because it makes many aspects of life very painful, a gift because you can do things that most other people can’t.

For example, it has made me a very good chess player, because I contemplate positions and moves that most other people won’t, and hence I’ve developed a very keen ability to calculate many moves in advance.

I also remember playing World of Warcraft as a youth when it first came out. And I spent about 30 days of actual playtime, and probably 90 days researching on forums. My dream in the game was finding the best PvP (Player vs Player) class and then playing that and dominating everyone. The trouble was that there were a lot of people having opinions… rogue is best, no it’s shadow priest, whatever.

But very few people had actual knowledge, even those who statistically were very good. So I quickly learned that asking people isn’t a very efficient way to build knowledge in all those areas of life where there is disagreement between men.

When you ask, all you get in return is someone’s opinion. Not knowledge. Not the truth. And how can you base your life on hearsay?

This has translated to business.

I’d say that my personality has been the key to my success so far in business. That same obsessiveness which can be a negative in life, can be turned into a positive in business. It can make you contemplate possibilities that others miss, and leave no stone unturned in your effort to be the best.

I know that some people on this forum don’t believe it’s possible to read thousands of books. Well, I have read thousands of books. For me, it was never enough to be successful, I had to uncover the secrets of success, those things that if done, would guarantee success, assuming no outside event intervenes.

So understanding success in this way, it’s not enough to BE successful, you need to develop a comprehensive theory that explains why you became successful while so many others failed. Something that can be used to generate succes.

And that’s how the path to success begins — you need to experiment & theorize, always doubting if you’re correct. Not with “mindset” and “self-belief”, but the exact opposite: not knowing. How will you BUILD the knowledge you need to be successful? How will you rip out of the universe all the secrets you need?

The trouble is most people do just one of those two activities. Usually the most successful people in the world experiment a lot, but they do precious little theorizing. This becomes problematic when it comes to replicating success or teaching it to someone else. Without a theory, you’re never too sure why you succeeded, and hence, you’ll fall victim to that very dangerous enemy called OPINION. In this case, your own opinion, but nevertheless, an opinion, not knowledge.

So as I described here, that’s how I run my business today:
HOT! - CHAT - Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

I theorize. I come up with new ideas and I always doubt myself. Do I really have the best way to acquire new customers? Is there some better way to acquire customers? More economical? Faster? Of course I could ask those questions on the forum. But… what would I get in return? Opinions, not knowledge.

So the only response is to stop asking, and start experimenting in response to your theories. See for yourself what is truly true and what is really false, regardless of the prejudices other people have.

This means a willingness to “fail”. A willingness to invest your time in dead ends. Most people here are terrified of dead ends or wasting their time. But dead ends are precious, they show you what doesn’t work, which upgrades your theories and perfects your knowledge. And it gives you certainty about what DOES work.

Failure truly is the stepping stone to success.

Of course this approach involves a whole lot more work on your end. You can’t take things for granted. But keep following it, and you’ll end up by building your own personal library of real knowledge — theories that are tested in reality that you can count on to build better processes over time.

And it involves a whole lot more suffering — it’s painful to always doubt yourself and never be sure. But that’s the pain required to give birth to knowledge.

I hope this gives you the inklings of a novel way to approach business, a more comprehensive way. Or if not, I hope you’ve at least found it an inquisitive read that has sparked a few new thoughts about your own business and your own journey. Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

constant

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Nov 8, 2022
I also have OCD, an anxiety disorder that manifests through obsessive thinking about potentially bad things that can happen
How do you ease your OCD symptoms?

As an example, a common obsessive thought I have arises when I write forum posts or emails.
"What if I accidentally copy-pasted my [private information] to my post and didn't notice it?"
This causes me to reread my written text over and over again, despite the fact that the thought is almost completely irrational.

If I recall correctly, you dislike CBT since it's too focused on thoughts and not focused enough on behaviours. So do you just force yourself to push through and do the behaviours, while attempting to ignore the obsessive thoughts, despite the mental distress they cause?

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
I hear this buzzword in this forum all the time. Success, success, success, and more success.
Be successful and more successful and even more successful.
What the F*ck does success look like?
How do you measure it?
Is someone healthy and broke more successful than someone rich and unhealthy?
Is someone with a big social circle of people who love him successful if he is broke?
Everyone these days has O.C.D, A.D.D, P.T.S.D., HTTP, and PHP.
I am confused because I am not as intelligent as the dragons.
I was born dumb among geniuses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
How do you ease your OCD symptoms?

As an example, a common obsessive thought I have arises when I write forum posts or emails.
"What if I accidentally copy-pasted my [private information] to my post and didn't notice it?"
This causes me to reread my written text over and over again, despite the fact that the thought is almost completely irrational.
I used to have the same fear / obsession in the past, and it’s now much less common, though I still get it every now and then.

It stopped because (1) things would get recorded (like emails), so I knew I could always check them, and (2) forum posts I used to log out, and then check them, that way I’d be pretty sure there was no way for me to modify them.

Things like checking the gas/oven at night, I still have. I just got quite good at checking it 2-3 times and stopping though, unless I’m very stressed that day, in which case I may check a few more times.

But yeah, I don’t really do any CBT. Sometimes I just tell myself to be OK with the outcome/possibility. Like “I posted my private details to the forum, I’ll deal with it later when it comes up”.

One time I actually DID send my card details to a vendor. I meant to send payment confirmation, but sent a screenshot of the step BEFORE. And it was some shady vendor too lol.

So I had to change the card.

It also helped me to study risk management. For example, a very interesting question is how should you handle highly unlikely, but potentially deadly risks? That’s what OCD has you worried about right? It tells you, “you have to check again, because even though this risk is small and the probability of it being true is very unlikely, IF it is true, then you’re F*cked!”

So say the risk of an asteroid impact. You may identify a nuclear shelter around you where you could go, and form a plan in case it happens. But then you’d forget about it, you wouldn’t be checking daily on it because the likelihood is low.

Whereas if something has a high probability, even though maybe it’s not very serious, you still take daily actions to mitigate it (say wearing a mask during COVID).

So the amount of action and effort you put into handling different risks is something to study. Basically what’s the most effective way to handle a particular risk, given it’s likelihood and severity?

From my experience, people with OCD are more analytical and in-depth thinkers than others. As a result, you need to learn rational ways of handling your thoughts. While others may not even think about the possibility of the stove being left on, you do, because you perceive the risk of it being left on to be tragic. And your thought process tells you that if the risk is tragic, then it’s worth doing any action whatsoever to mitigate it (which isn’t an obviously irrational thought).

The book “You are not a Rock” is also quite useful, taking a more ACT-based approach than pure CBT.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I hear this buzzword in this forum all the time. Success, success, success, and more success.
Be successful and more successful and even more successful.
What the F*ck does success look like?
How do you measure it?
Is someone healthy and broke more successful than someone rich and unhealthy?
Is someone with a big social circle of people who love him successful if he is broke?
Everyone these days has O.C.D, A.D.D, P.T.S.D., HTTP, and PHP.
I am confused because I am not as intelligent as the dragons.
I was born dumb among geniuses.
I think we have to go back to Maslow....what is threatening to bash down your door currently?

If you are 1-2 paychecks from the poorhouse, definitely success to you might be building a good savings buffer or having a steady income source that exceeds the J.O.B.

If you are already rolling in the dough, but you are looking for stuff to spend on that actually LASTS or makes you satisfied...success now turns to making an impact on other peoples' lives through charity, family, religion, etc.

Everyone has different seasons in life.

As for the O.C.D, A.D.D, P.T.S.D., HTTP, and PHP....my opinion shifts between wondering if we have ALL of the above in varying amounts, or they have become excuses for people to ask for another shot of drugs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.