The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Outsourcing My App, How Do I Make Sure Everything is Done Correctly?

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
I finally pulled the trigger on having my own app created that is compatible with one of my products that I've been selling. The developer that I found is about to get started, but since this is my first time outsourcing, I just want to make sure that I'm having him do everything that I need done when dealing with an app. Some things that I'm not sure about:

1) He said that he can only make the app for iOS, is this normal for a developer to only be well-versed on one type of operating system?

2) Once he is finished with the app, how should I make sure that the app works on all iOS updates in the future?

Are there some things to look out for that I, as a non-developer, might not be aware of?

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I finally pulled the trigger on having my own app created that is compatible with one of my products that I've been selling. The developer that I found is about to get started, but since this is my first time outsourcing, I just want to make sure that I'm having him do everything that I need done when dealing with an app. Some things that I'm not sure about:

1) He said that he can only make the app for iOS, is this normal for a developer to only be well-versed on one type of operating system?

2) Once he is finished with the app, how should I make sure that the app works on all iOS updates in the future?

Are there some things to look out for that I, as a non-developer, might not be aware of?

Thank you

1) this depends on the developer. Mine is most proficient in Android and would outsource for IOS. Depending on the type of app you're writing, though, a better alternative might be to write it in something that can be easily moved between ios and android.

2) you'll need to keep retesting the app with each new release, and fix any bugs that come up.

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
1) this depends on the developer. Mine is most proficient in Android and would outsource for IOS. Depending on the type of app you're writing, though, a better alternative might be to write it in something that can be easily moved between ios and android.

2) you'll need to keep retesting the app with each new release, and fix any bugs that come up.

Would I be able to fix any bugs, or is that something that only a developer can do? I have very good computer skills but hardly any programming knowledge.

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
Also, I forgot to as about it in the OP but,

3) Should I tell him to let me upload the app to an apple account that I create? I'm assuming that this would give me full control of the app.

4) Are there any hidden fee's that he might try to hit me with at the end?

5) Should I have him sign any type of work outsourcing contract?

G

GuestUserX09

One platform is fine.

Simple, ask to see previous work and ask how long it took, budget if possible, possible old client contacts, etc. (They won't give up everything)

You'll get a clear indicator if you want to work with them or not.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I've met lots of programmers who only specialize in one area. It's quite normal actually. I myself can do both, but that's because I'm constantly learning and improving my area of expertise. I'm the minority in that area.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Set extremely clear and detailed milestones and wireframes. Do not release funds until you are exactly happy that the milestone was met.

Maybe outsource the design and wireframes then have him code it.

You will use your own apple account, $149 a year here in Australia.

Only thing you may not be aware of is whether apple approves it or not, he's going to want payment regardless, and he'll probably the final milestone before it's approved. Something to consider when negotiating milestones.

Another thing, you'll likely be stuck with him for all updates and improvements as a new dev would need to figure out the code which is unlikely to be set out and labeled nicely.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

3) Should I tell him to let me upload the app to an apple account that I create? I'm assuming that this would give me full control of the app.

you definitely need to sign a contract. Here's a weird thing about copyright law: if you pay someone to write software for you, THEY own the software. You just have a license to use it. You have to sign a contract that says that the developer assigns all rights to the software to you.

I have a contract you can use. PM me.

There shouldn't be any hidden fees, but here's something to keep in mind:

Scope creep usually happens on a software project like this. Its very important to be in control of this, or you will end up with a more complicated program than you originally had in mind.

Once you build the app, any changes to it really need to be done by the original developer. The developer knows this and will likely charge accordingly. You can have other devs work on it, but they will have to charge for the time they'll need to spend figuring out what the original dev did.

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
Thanks for the input everyone

you definitely need to sign a contract. Here's a weird thing about copyright law: if you pay someone to write software for you, THEY own the software. You just have a license to use it. You have to sign a contract that says that the developer assigns all rights to the software to you.

I have a contract you can use. PM me.

There shouldn't be any hidden fees, but here's something to keep in mind:

Scope creep usually happens on a software project like this. Its very important to be in control of this, or you will end up with a more complicated program than you originally had in mind.

Once you build the app, any changes to it really need to be done by the original developer. The developer knows this and will likely charge accordingly. You can have other devs work on it, but they will have to charge for the time they'll need to spend figuring out what the original dev did.

PM'd

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Support, testing, and update costs may catch you off guard. Writing the app is one thing, but dealing with constant OS updates is another. The developer (or someone) really needs to consistently test (QA) the app and service/update accordingly.

I also recommend you pay the developer to provide documentation on the code. If that developer lands a big job, gets hit by a bus, or wins the lottery, you could be screwed. An alternative is to work with a company rather than an individual. Companies could go out of business, but professionally-run shops will be able to better support you over the lifecycle of your app.

Document who owns the IP (intellectual property) for the app. As @Jon L mentioned...you don't want to find out your developer is selling "your" code on the side.

Last, iOS only? What's your target market? You are probably missing out. See the chart here (from Business INSIDERS).

kantar-december-2015-2.jpg

STswiss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 16, 2015
Switzerland

@buylowsellhigh ask your developer to comment and describe the code in a way that another developer will understand. Don't only check the app, check the code! If you have a minimum of programming knowledge, you will see how he comments out the lines and functions. This is worth some extra money and will save you a lot in the future.

I usually had my apps developed for iOS and let the same developer move along with android, luckywise he was able to do both.

As @BookwormMitch mentioned, make sure to agree on clear milestones before and only pay if the goal is reached. Keep a good relation to the developer, you will need him for updates. Even if he commented out everything in a proper way, it will cost time and money to dive into the materia from zero.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.