The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Postmortem of a Venture-backed Startup

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 26, 2012
Great read that shows what caused the downfall of a venture-backed startup. First paragraph:

"For those unfamiliar, Sonar Media Inc. was a mobile app created to help make the world a friendlier place. Our mobile app buzzed in your pocket when friends were near and ushered in a new wave of “Ambient Social Networking” companies. Downloaded by millions of people all over the world, Sonar was promoted by Apple and Google in 100+ countries, won numerous awards such as runner-up at TechCrunch Disrupt and Ad:Tech Best Mobile Startup, raised nearly $2,000,000 from prominent angels and VCs, and was featured on more than 300 publications including the New York Times, CNN, CNBC, TechCrunch, and TIME.
And yet, we failed."

https://medium.com/p/72c6f8bec7df#!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Brilliant process-focused examination of the "sweat of success." Reading this might keep me from "perspiring" in the future.

Thanks also to zen******* for highlighting this. I follow a lot of the high-speed users around, so your endorsement led me to reading an article I might have skipped over otherwise.

This is line is 100% unfiltered epic:

Identify your top three priorities. Throw away numbers two and three.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
It took us at least 10 meetings to realize that, rather than delivering us millions of their customers on a silver platter, they were keeping tabs on us so that they could get access to OUR audience if we ever took off!

This right here is truly eye opening. I never even thought those companies had any other motive than fulfilling their reader's wants by writing about the latest... Makes you realize how much you don't realize!!

Solus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 5, 2013
Utah
This right here is truly eye opening. I never even thought those companies had any other motive than fulfilling their reader's wants by writing about the latest... Makes you realize how much you don't realize!!

You have to think about it from your perspective: if you could acquire or otherwise pull in a small fish with an audience you don't already have, you're expanding your service without the initial leg work. A smart business owner would be all over that. Hell, my whole business plan is to pull in a readership/client base that my industry leader can't ignore so he can buy me out!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I noticed they talked about all the peripheral busywork of a startup, and very little about providing true sustainable value to its users/customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.