The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pulling The Trigger: Dropping Out and Moving to Austin

Anything related to matters of the mind

dand

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 30, 2022
Austin, TX
I came to a very difficult conclusion recently. I wanted to share it and why it motivated me to fully commit to the fastlane/starting a business. Reading my first intro post will also help with some context.
----------------------- In case that is not enought context ----------------------------------
After high school, I decided to go to college for one reason, and one reason only: I wanted to work on Starship with the elite SpaceX engineers, and project teams/college was the fastest path to gettting there. Note, I never wanted to go to college, but thought a 2-year sacrifice was worth it. So this and last semester I've been working relentlessly on engineering projects, and the trex amount of coursework. It's been a lot of work-sleep-work pain, a lot of BS (15% learning, 85% keeping GPA afloat), and I hated it a lot. It felt wrong, and I started to question if this is what it took, and if so, is the end goal what I want? SpaceX was literally the only thing I thought about for the last 6 months.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, I had a mentor during this time, and at one point he took a shot (a strong one) at my ego. It was in reference to getting a spacex summer internship; I was asking for an answer but self-admitted I had limited credentials to attain one as a freshman. But then I realized this was not only a hit to my ego, but a hit to why I wanted spacex: my ego.

I meditated for 2h on this. This was the longest I've ever sat still. I had to truly ask myself why I had this dream to work at Boca Chica. It was a deep and existential moment. Ideas circulated about mimetic theory, about preprogramming, the possibility that spacex is a matrix, not an escape, within the matrix. I didn't get down to the bottom of it but I realized on surface level: I thought it was "cool" to work on Starship. Cool to send humans to mars, cool to work by the beach on the southern tip of texas, cool to work for Elon, cool to (while true in my desire) attain an elite level of engineering skill. And let me be clear: I mean "cool" not in putting myself above other engineers/9-5 jobs, but cool in that my self-ego/ambitions would be fulfilled. So I had to ask why I wanted to do something cool, why I had an ego for cool things. And I still don't know. But what is for sure, is that I don't want to work for Rocketlab, Lockheed, NASA, etc. And other than Elon, the vision, and the team that comes with it, SpaceX is just another ambitious aerospace company. Cool aside, I'm an engineer working for a company. Is that what I want? Is that what my ego wants? I don't know.

So I have some things left unanswered. But what followed this meditation is a little voice that said if I continue focusing on the small BS problems (next exam, next homework deadline, next project), the cycle will continue indefinitely and reinforce the preprogramming of pursuing cool. That little voice told me that I need to leave college immediately, and find myself or a new atmosphere.

Just thinking about that voice spiked my cortisol. Hence the pulling the trigger analogy. I currently have no debt. I'm fearless and believe in myself exceptionally. I've seen and read enough to have zero doubt that I can make it. I decided on pursuing a secondary dream I've had for a while: moving to austin and starting a liquidation arbitrage company (more on that later). Technically, I will be taking gap year, so that if I find cool is what I really want, I can return with zero risk. The only thing I have to lose I thought, was 2.5 semesters of BS.

I have pulled the trigger and am final on the decision to leave college (temporarily or permanently). But before I had to ask myself if fastlane/business is just a scapegoat, another "cool." The truth is I also don't know. In the end, why do anything? But I reason that in the short-term (1-5 years) it would be an objectively good thing to put myself (and the free market) in absolute control of my life and attain wealth. In the long-term, I'm 18yo and don't know what I truly want in life. At least if I achieve a high-level of wealth, I will have the freedom to explore new things and have higher probability of answering what I don't know. Maybe I will still want to work with SpaceX, but at the current moment, I feel a deep belonging to pursuing that little voice.

On the fastlane details:
It's first important to mention my mindset is not in desperation, but in confidence and control. I don't believe that it will be dropped to me from the sky, and I know ahead only I can make it happen. I will also need to extend my growth towards becoming a respectable, high-value man. Excusing superficial self-help and "entrepreneurship" books, I have read and learned a lot from MJ and authors of similar caliber. I think have a glimse of what money is, how businesses produce value, and what it takes to transpose the two. But I have a lot to learn, especially from other entrepreneurs and this fastlane forum. I'm still naive in many lenses.

I'm choosing Austin because it seems like an econmically viable place to start an LLC (or S-corp if I find investors). I see it as a rising Silicon Valley with a lot of young entreprenuerial energy, loads of VC funding coming in, and a good atmoshpere for the fastlane. I considered scottsdale, but find it less urban and more residential in energy. Additionally I really prioritize to network with other entrepreneurs, investors, and partners to work with, something I hope Austin can offer.

On the liquidation arbitrage business: I've learned a lot about dropshipping and ecommerce ecosystem as a whole in the past 2 years. I've also been a mildly successful reseller on eBay. The thing that caught my interest in retail liquidation pallets/lots was a summer ago, in one weekend, I bought a homedepot liquidation pallet for under $200, and sold a third of the inventory on FBM for $600 cash. It opened up my eyes. Big companies like quicklotz, liquidation.com, and b-stock buy these liquidation pallets for pebbels from Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. and auction them off to individuals. I believe there is a gap between two ends of the market: the individuals buying from auctions are side-hustlers, have little knowledge of what's inside the pallet (scams are quite often), and can't scale the side-hustle past their garage (also don't have LLC/licenses for bigger operations). While the liquidation companies are "quick flip," don't care to house extended inventory, don't take apart the pallets, and don't sell the goods on ebay/amazon. My big idea is to have a front-to-end liquidation company that buys the liquidation pallets directly from retailers, in truckloads, has a warehouse and inventory staff, an automated product listing software (not terribly difficult to build with the right team - can also be sold as a subscription later on) for thousands of listings/day, and eventually its own shopify store (to exceed the limiting fees and marketing on ebay/amazon). Of course, I think this would have to start as a small reselling company, buying from liquidation companies, with a small warehouse.

I've also explored the idea of an SaaS company specializing in performing advanced simulations (sotwares like Ansys Mechanical, Star CCM) for small engineering startups/companies. An SaaS company for helping manufacturing companies (machine shops, injection molds, metal/lumber suppliers) integrate their services with Shopify stores (believe it or not most still only do orders over the phone/email). And a home installation company specializing in integrating homeowners' solar arrays with a module to sell energy back to grid; similar to to tesla power wall, but no battery, and company takes small commission on reveneue from what is sold back to grid. However these are ideas, and I feel liquidation arbitrage is more simple and reliable.

To start, I'm thinking I get a job in sales or construction (skills I want to level up) to pay the bills, and work my a$$ off on the business and networking in the remaining time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate anyone who has read through the entire post. I have a few things to take care of, and will be leaving for Austin soon. While I shared maybe half my current thoughts, I really believe this is the start of something new, and am open to anyone's thoughts/advice on what I've planned moving forward.

I will be updating this thread with my progress as time passes. But I also want to be the guy that takes action instead of talking.
-Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Aug 8, 2021
Austin is a good place to be. I am from Canada but I would move to Austin if I could.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro and great to have you.

On the liquidation arbitrage business: I've learned a lot about dropshipping and ecommerce ecosystem as a whole in the past 2 years. I've also been a mildly successful reseller on eBay. The thing that caught my interest in retail liquidation pallets/lots was a summer ago, in one weekend, I bought a homedepot liquidation pallet for under $200, and sold a third of the inventory on FBM for $600 cash. It opened up my eyes. Big companies like quicklotz, liquidation.com, and b-stock buy these liquidation pallets for pebbels from Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. and auction them off to individuals. I believe there is a gap between two ends of the market: the individuals buying from auctions are side-hustlers, have little knowledge of what's inside the pallet (scams are quite often), and can't scale the side-hustle past their garage (also don't have LLC/licenses for bigger operations). While the liquidation companies are "quick flip," don't care to house extended inventory, don't take apart the pallets, and don't sell the goods on ebay/amazon. My big idea is to have a front-to-end liquidation company that buys the liquidation pallets directly from retailers, in truckloads, has a warehouse and inventory staff, an automated product listing software (not terribly difficult to build with the right team - can also be sold as a subscription later on) for thousands of listings/day, and eventually its own shopify store (to exceed the limiting fees and marketing on ebay/amazon). Of course, I think this would have to start as a small reselling company, buying from liquidation companies, with a small warehouse.

There's a company here in Utah doing this, it's quite popular and they just expanded to a huge warehouse.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Awesome intro and great to have you.

There's a company here in Utah doing this, it's quite popular and they just expanded to a huge warehouse.

Yeah we have a number of companies like that here in the Toronto area. Some focus on liquidations others on e-commerce returns. Most operate subdomain on a common auction platform. If there's nothing like it locally that's great for you. Here, the market is flooded and there's not much of a differentiator except location.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
May 7, 2019
Nice Content. Austin is the city of the Entrepreneur Hub!

dand

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 30, 2022
Austin, TX
Thought I would post a brief update: I officially left college and started my new life in Austin. I signed a lease, bought a cheap car (it's older than me and manual), and started working solar sales D2D comission-based. There's nothing glamarous about it, I've learned quite a bit about myself and the real world. It's fun, stressful, and humbling - especially when bleeding money daily and trying to find a place to spend the night. I feel more conscious and responsible.

Doing sales is such a valuable skill and it forces you to improve every day. I've earned zero so far, knocked roughly 400 doors, but successfully set my first/4 appointments and I'm confident 2 have a high probability of closing this week. I earn a good commission, and it's super scalable - if I do it right, I can reach a level where I'm doing $5k+/week. The guy I'm working with netted himself 7 figures his first year.

Finances are super tight right now and I'm getting a temporary evening/night job as foodrunner (then waiter) at a high-end/fine-dining restaurant. I'm bleeding cash and already had to sell some of my stocks, but most of the big hits came already and that should start to reverse this week.

I'm getting my texas residence this week and then filing an S-corp. Most likely I will have to run the S-corp as a storage-locker-based side-hustle for the month of March while I get my finances in order. I'm optimistic, and my goal these next months is to show the ridiculous profitability on my company balance sheets - then through Capital Factory or other entrpeneurs I'm networking with, acquire a large venture capital investment to lease a warehouse, hire/train staff, and buy a semi truck + driver.

I have a lot of work to do and the journey has just begun.

dand

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 30, 2022
Austin, TX
Just wanted to make a quick last post here since I won't be documenting my growth publicly anymore - I find it more sincere to document in pen for myself and share it in the future. But I figured it out, and a lot of the questions and uncertanties I had about wealth, business, entrepreneurship, etc. I found the answer to. I know roughly what to do, and it's mainly execution at this point.

I did want to leave some pieces of advice for any young man that stumbles upon this and finds himself at a similar crossroad.

You have to understand that who you are, what you know, who you know, how you think, how you talk, and how you behave is purely a result of how your mind interacts(ed) with reality, the physical material world. "As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is" - Proverbs 23:7. The one thing you truly have control over in this world is your mind. And sadly, very few people exercise that discipline to the highest levels of man. Once you truly realize this, you can achieve anything, you will also feel like a psychopath amongst peasants.

Second, for people who already "took the red pill": understand the matrix; fractional reserve banking, the degree-job-retirement scam, how to get rich (the fastlane forex.), mimetic theory, geopolitical conflicts, and the peasant-noble dynamic of post-modern capitalism - you will likely be in an existential period, a period of solitude, a phase perhaps all entrepreneurs go through. There will be a lot questions and uncertainties: "what business do I start?", "where do I go?", "how do I network", etc. There will be feelings (not beliefs) of doubt, the temptation to victimize yourself, and exteme levels of paranoia. That is normal when you are a preprogrammed peasant. But you have to start somewhere and take action - really and truly pull the trigger. It could be moving to a new city, breaking up with a girlfriend, a little side hustle, pitching a business owner, a sales job, sending a DM, etc. I say this from personal experience: if you pull the trigger, realize the first part, and never give up, you will figure it out; God has a way of putting things together like you couldn't believe.

The hardest decision of my life was dropping a top aerospace school and moving to Austin, alone. I pulled the trigger, will you?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Second, for people who already "took the red pill": understand the matrix; fractional reserve banking, the degree-job-retirement scam, how to get rich (the fastlane forex.), mimetic theory, geopolitical conflicts, and the peasant-noble dynamic of post-modern capitalism - you will likely be in an existential period, a period of solitude, a phase perhaps all entrepreneurs go through. There will be a lot questions and uncertainties: "what business do I start?", "where do I go?", "how do I network", etc. There will be feelings (not beliefs) of doubt, the temptation to victimize yourself, and exteme levels of paranoia. That is normal when you are a preprogrammed peasant. But you have to start somewhere and take action - really and truly pull the trigger. It could be moving to a new city, breaking up with a girlfriend, a little side hustle, pitching a business owner, a sales job, sending a DM, etc. I say this from personal experience: if you pull the trigger, realize the first part, and never give up, you will figure it out; God has a way of putting things together like you couldn't believe.

The hardest decision of my life was dropping a top aerospace school and moving to Austin, alone. I pulled the trigger, will you?

Congrats on making the hard choices and recognizing that you can't escape a paradigm if you don't even see it. Seeing it is the first step.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
The Ultimate Decision anyone has to make is either seeing their life on repeat for years to come or to change the way you work.

Put it in another way, if someone where in their 30's making $80,000 and worked for 36 years until retirement. You'd have or so they say on average ~$1,000,000 based on the internet calculators but that's without excluding the taxes taken out or you can go in a new direction work 6 to 10 years and have an exit if you were to actually do the work based upon MJ's teachings.

Staying out of school and not raking up students loans, good choice :)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
407%
Apr 16, 2019
Thought I would post a brief update: I officially left college and started my new life in Austin. I signed a lease, bought a cheap car (it's older than me and manual), and started working solar sales D2D comission-based. There's nothing glamarous about it, I've learned quite a bit about myself and the real world. It's fun, stressful, and humbling - especially when bleeding money daily and trying to find a place to spend the night. I feel more conscious and responsible.

Doing sales is such a valuable skill and it forces you to improve every day. I've earned zero so far, knocked roughly 400 doors, but successfully set my first/4 appointments and I'm confident 2 have a high probability of closing this week. I earn a good commission, and it's super scalable - if I do it right, I can reach a level where I'm doing $5k+/week. The guy I'm working with netted himself 7 figures his first year.

Finances are super tight right now and I'm getting a temporary evening/night job as foodrunner (then waiter) at a high-end/fine-dining restaurant. I'm bleeding cash and already had to sell some of my stocks, but most of the big hits came already and that should start to reverse this week.

I'm getting my texas residence this week and then filing an S-corp. Most likely I will have to run the S-corp as a storage-locker-based side-hustle for the month of March while I get my finances in order. I'm optimistic, and my goal these next months is to show the ridiculous profitability on my company balance sheets - then through Capital Factory or other entrpeneurs I'm networking with, acquire a large venture capital investment to lease a warehouse, hire/train staff, and buy a semi truck + driver.

I have a lot of work to do and the journey has just begun.

Awesome update.

How're things going?

Did you end up making a killing with solar sales?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.