The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reason for ChatGPT becoming 'dumber'

Idea threads

GoingToSleep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2023
I’m not sure if this has been said before or not but I thought this might be important enough to make it its own thread. I have come up with a few reasons why ChatGPT has supposedly become dumber or has not come to answer questions like how it used to.

Profit for customer satisfaction: The people in charge of ChatGPT probably decided that they were not making enough money and wanted to have some more. So with the release of ‘GPT4’, they decided to just make the current one dumber and create a paid version of ChatGPT so people have to buy it. Basically, they are trading customer satisfaction for sales which I think was a huge risk.

Outdated information: ChatGPT’s information is only capped to September 2021 which means its skill level will be not as high as human intelligence because it can not learn new things so it will have a fixed knowledge capacity. This means that ChatGPT will not be able to do things that would have changed from September 2019 leading it to be ‘dumber’.

I have basically outlined the reasons why ChatGPT has gotten ‘dumber’. If you think there is something else, please let me know in the replies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tigerbalm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 23, 2018
Colorado
I don't think that it is just that. As an engineer who has paid for chatGPT since March I can unequivocally say that GPT 4 has gotten dumber as well. I used to use it to build fully fledged APIs and such, and it would remember the context from over 100 messages prior. Now I struggle to get it to retain context from 3 messages prior. My suspicion is that they cut corners to facilitate more requests as when I started using it they capped you at 10 per 3 hours, but now I think it's 50 per 3 hours.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The paid version sucks now also.

Likely the problem is this...

ChatGPT was too open and this lead to issues.
What if someone asks a forbidden question like "How many genders are there?".

So now you have to bring in rules.

It can't just give the right answer - it also needs to give the correct right answer.

For LOTS of topics, questions, and ways of doing things.

So they likely had to load it up with 1,000 extra rules since there are many forbidden questions out there.

*You can't say this*
*Don't mention this*
*This person is a bad person*
*This idea is wrong*

So now instead of just giving you an answer - it needs to spend most of the time making sure it ticks all the right boxes and you don't get any dangerous ideas that might actually get you thinking.

Kinda funny to see the whole arc in a short period of time... "wow this is good" to "ahhh this is kinda dumb".

If you see who is calling the shots on all of this it is not too surprising.

ensoniq2k

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 15, 2021
Germany (South-West)
So now instead of just giving you an answer - it needs to spend most of the time making sure it ticks all the right boxes and you don't get any dangerous ideas that might actually get you thinking.
This is most probably the case. Remember it gave pretty spot on legal advice? They can't have it do that, they might get held responsibly.

Plus if you're into conspiracy stuff lawyers probably don't like to be replaced by an AI but there is no proof that anything like that actually happened.

Sandboarder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 14, 2023

It can't just give the right answer - it also needs to give the correct right answer.

So they likely had to load it up with 1,000 extra rules since there are many forbidden questions out there.

*You can't say this*
*Don't mention this*
*This idea is wrong*

Kinda funny to see the whole arc in a short period of time... "wow this is good" to "ahhh this is kinda dumb".

I also think bombing the model with unnecessary data is a problem here. Rn I'm working on my software and it incorporates AI models. I've tested some of them and uncensored ones, i.e. those retrained on filtered dataset, are visibly more powerful.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
It’s probably because ChatGPT has been blowing up, computational costs are going up.

It’s probably expensive to run an AI to millions of people a day.

Its also probably the millions of stupid questions like “how many genders are there?”

Or “what gender are you?”

People ask the weirdest questions…

ensoniq2k

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 15, 2021
Germany (South-West)
It’s probably because ChatGPT has been blowing up, computational costs are going up.

It’s probably expensive to run an AI to millions of people a day.

Its also probably the millions of stupid questions like “how many genders are there?”

Or “what gender are you?”

People ask the weirdest questions…
If the AI model is learning from all the questions it's being asked it would certainly explain why it's getting dumber.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
GPT (In my opinion) is fantastic, but only in a few limited cases. I've been using it consistently these past few months to help me on some work, and is basically a helpful advisor.

I have noticed it has become limited in memory recently witch can be frustrating at times but you can always correct it. The advantages are better than the drawbacks.

To use a tool, you need to understand it. People are treating it like a magic box.

Things GPT is fantastic at:
- Writing specific code
- Explaining technical details and concepts
- Teaching you hard concepts like economics or physics
- Talking in abstracts or hypotheticals
- Understanding philosophical questions
- Comparing topics/expanding on topics
- Writing copy

It has been immensely helpful. Treat it more like a guide than anything and take things with a grain of salt.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
ChatGPT is 100% getting worse and you basically need to use it with the Internet for it to be useful. (WebChatGPT is free but you can buy ChatGPT Plus for $20/mo and use plugins with it)

I maintain that the best way to use GPT is to slap it onto an existing base of knowledge & use it to answer questions within that realm of knowledge. Program it to say "I don't know, ask someone else" to anything that isn't within its own base of knowledge.

I'm not convinced that general AI will ever be any good. Specialized AI (expert system) is game changing.

Every LLM programmed in a certain way will have its biases. Liberal, conservative, communist, fascist, you can make it talk however you want. Since it's Silicon Valley liberals running the show, ChatGPT outputs reflect their views. Right now, it's unfeasible to self-host your own LLM so that you can program it with your own worldview, but it won't be that way forever.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I pay for it so it doesn't tell me it's too busy.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
If the AI model is learning from all the questions it's being asked it would certainly explain why it's getting dumber.
"Dear chat gpt: How 2 BIG smma make money no work outsource SEO optimize my life and and Andrew Tate in porto reeko???!?
(plz respond )"

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
ChatGPT is 100% getting worse and you basically need to use it with the Internet for it to be useful. (WebChatGPT is free but you can buy ChatGPT Plus for $20/mo and use plugins with it)

I maintain that the best way to use GPT is to slap it onto an existing base of knowledge & use it to answer questions within that realm of knowledge. Program it to say "I don't know, ask someone else" to anything that isn't within its own base of knowledge.

I'm not convinced that general AI will ever be any good. Specialized AI (expert system) is game changing.

Every LLM programmed in a certain way will have its biases. Liberal, conservative, communist, fascist, you can make it talk however you want. Since it's Silicon Valley liberals running the show, ChatGPT outputs reflect their views. Right now, it's unfeasible to self-host your own LLM so that you can program it with your own worldview, but it won't be that way forever.
Self-hosted/open source AI will be the beginning of a total shift in how work is done. It will be wild to see what kind of applications it will be used for.

Definitely agree with the knowledge base thing. It's like NZT from Limitless: "It works better if you're already smart".

GoingToSleep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2023

*You can't say this*
*Don't mention this*
*This idea is wrong*

I think they are just trying not to get on any communities bad side.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.