The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go to pursue my bachelor's in Finland ?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

freedom900

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 13, 2024
A bit of information first I'm 18m and live in Pakistan. The situation here is pathetic economic wise and I want to leave.

I applied a while back online to Finland's joint intake for international students and got a single offer of bachelor's of nursing for 9000 Euros a year. The offer isn't exactly bad but it isn't good either.
In the meantime I took admission in a local university in computer science and am almost done with my first semester. Now that I have this offer I'm just wanna know if I should take it.
So, basically it gives me a way out of my country and into a developed European country. But, the fees is quite high and the field is nursing (is there even any fastlane potential at all?).
I think I'll be able to somehow manage the fees and living costs there through part time work. I'll get a bachelor's and a permanent residence since I lived there for four years (which is a big w for someone from Pakistan).

The other option is that I complete my bachelor's here and go abroad for my masters. I'll be able to pursue the field in CS/IT and
My fee will be lower but I'll still have to live for 4 years to get my PR there. So basically I'd be getting my PR 8 years from now as opposed to 4 years from now.

Which option should I choose ? Go now and do nursing or go later and do cs. Difference is going for bachelor's and going for masters.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
A bit of information first I'm 18m and live in Pakistan. The situation here is pathetic economic wise and I want to leave.

I applied a while back online to Finland's joint intake for international students and got a single offer of bachelor's of nursing for 9000 Euros a year. The offer isn't exactly bad but it isn't good either.
In the meantime I took admission in a local university in computer science and am almost done with my first semester. Now that I have this offer I'm just wanna know if I should take it.
So, basically it gives me a way out of my country and into a developed European country. But, the fees is quite high and the field is nursing (is there even any fastlane potential at all?).
I think I'll be able to somehow manage the fees and living costs there through part time work. I'll get a bachelor's and a permanent residence since I lived there for four years (which is a big w for someone from Pakistan).

The other option is that I complete my bachelor's here and go abroad for my masters. I'll be able to pursue the field in CS/IT and
My fee will be lower but I'll still have to live for 4 years to get my PR there. So basically I'd be getting my PR 8 years from now as opposed to 4 years from now.

Which option should I choose ? Go now and do nursing or go later and do cs. Difference is going for bachelor's and going for masters.
Your options are
1. Study a bs subject now and then be stuck as a nurse in finnland until you make it with business (which is probably still better than a cs guy in Pakistan and you get to leave right away)
2. Stay 4 more years in Pakistan and then get a good masters degree in finnland/Europe and live a comparatively good life with high chances to build a great business.

I can't choose for you.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

My gut intuition is that they need nurses and hence you got that offer. This means that you are guaranteed a nursing job there once you opt for that path. But you need to do your own research to confirm that.

I would grab the ticket today to get out of your country first. There is no guarantee that having a CS degree will get you out of your country later. Remote work is common place these days. There is over-flood of children studying computing these days and when protectionism comes they will be stop issuing work visas for tech foreign workers.

But you “applied it online”. Please double confirm that it is not a scam first. Forward the offer letter to the school’s admission office to confirm again.

freedom900

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 13, 2024
Your options are
1. Study a bs subject now and then be stuck as a nurse in finnland until you make it with business (which is probably still better than a cs guy in Pakistan and you get to leave right away)
2. Stay 4 more years in Pakistan and then get a good masters degree in finnland/Europe and live a comparatively good life with high chances to build a great business.

I can't choose for you.
I'm leaning more towards the first option because the value of the pakistani rupee is expected to plummet when Pakistan gets bailed out by the IMF (soon) through a loan. It's dropped a lot before and it'll drop more.

Secondly, after I get my PR (right after completing my bachelor's) I can just do something else with way more scalability instead of nursing.

Lastly, I can immigrate to Australia or the US after my degree as a registered nurse if I don't like it in Finland. That'll definitely open me up to more fastlane potential.

If your wondering why I'm emphasizing the PR so much Pakistan is ranked as the 4rth worst passport in the world. Finding ways to immigrate is really hard. Might as well do it now.

Your thoughts ?

freedom900

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 13, 2024
My gut intuition is that they need nurses and hence you got that offer. This means that you are guaranteed a nursing job there once you opt for that path. But you need to do your own research to confirm that.

I would grab the ticket today to get out of your country first. There is no guarantee that having a CS degree will get you out of your country later. Remote work is common place these days. There is over-flood of children studying computing these days and when protectionism comes they will be stop issuing work visas for tech foreign workers.

But you “applied it online”. Please double confirm that it is not a scam first. Forward the offer letter to the school’s admission office to confirm again.
Hey Kevin !
There's actually a shortage of nurses in a lot of countries, probably because it's hard work and doesn't pay well (much like teaching).
I agree with you on the ticket part, rather than Viewing it as a career I can look at it as getting another passport while getting exposure to other countries.

The offer is genuine. Finland has a website which is managed by the government and gives you a way to apply to their universities as an international student.
Studyinfo.fi

freedom900

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 13, 2024
What typically happens to people that go study in Finland? Is that what you want to end up doing?

Common sense question to ask about any decision.
They end up working there after their studies and get citizenship after a few years.

I wanna get the citizenship but try and shake off the salaried job as soon as I can.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey Kevin !
There's actually a shortage of nurses in a lot of countries, probably because it's hard work and doesn't pay well (much like teaching).
I agree with you on the ticket part, rather than Viewing it as a career I can look at it as getting another passport while getting exposure to other countries.

The offer is genuine. Finland has a website which is managed by the government and gives you a way to apply to their universities as an international student.
Studyinfo.fi
Nursing will get you decent skills to build businesses later.

In the developed world it’s the old people that have the money due to stock and real estate appreciation. Birth rate is pathetically low.

Eldercare and even death care related service is growing.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I'm leaning more towards the first option because the value of the pakistani rupee is expected to plummet when Pakistan gets bailed out by the IMF (soon) through a loan. It's dropped a lot before and it'll drop more.

Secondly, after I get my PR (right after completing my bachelor's) I can just do something else with way more scalability instead of nursing.

Lastly, I can immigrate to Australia or the US after my degree as a registered nurse if I don't like it in Finland. That'll definitely open me up to more fastlane potential.

If your wondering why I'm emphasizing the PR so much Pakistan is ranked as the 4rth worst passport in the world. Finding ways to immigrate is really hard. Might as well do it now.

Your thoughts ?
Go for it.

I'd do anything I can to live in a western 1st world country.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 11, 2019
Please don't take this in the wrong way, but I believe most people would rather live in Finland, primarily for the job/financial/economic opportunities.

If you can afford the tuition, I'd go for it, sucks that you're limited to the nursing degree, but if you learn the language, and build a life there, I'm sure you can eventually start building out a different path.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.