The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Gurus All Lied To You About Starting a Digital Agency...

Marketing, social media, advertising

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Bsaed on a conversation I had with @Andy Black I wanted to start this thread.

Here's the cold hard truth:

Many new agencies struggle with growth because their prices are too high.

Contrary to what ALL the gurus tell you, you can't sell high-ticket with 0 credibility. Not at any meaningful scale anyway. Maybe you'll get 1 client every 6 months, but that's not a company. That's a hobby.

So the question you have to ask yourself is if you want to go on "playing" business, or you actually want to build a real business?

Because if it's the latter, then you need to build up to selling high-ticket. Not start by selling high-ticket.

Here's how to gain credibility so you can build a real business:

1. Stop looking for a shortcut

Credibility takes time to build. You simply need time to build a great website, gather great testimonials, deliver amazing results, become a thought leader, and scale your network.

As much as you may like it to, it can't happen overnight.

And there's no shortcut. There's no email, cold calling script, or tactic that can help you until then.

2. Create original content consistently

If someone sees you being a thought leader in your industry every single day for 90+ days, you can bet they'll consider you an expert.

Once they consider you an expert, they will be a lot more responsive to your offers.

And most importantly, they will begin trusting you. You're not longer a stranger. In their mind you're now someone they know.

Someone who knows what they're doing.

3. Engage with others

Who are other thought leaders in your industry? Engage with them. Engage with your followers. Comment on great posts. Share. Participate.

It's called social media for a reason.

This helps in two ways:

First, by seeing you engage with the thought leaders in your industry, some of their credibility will rub off on you.

And second, by engaging with your followers, they will see that you care and they'll begin trusting you.

4. Expand Your Network

The bigger your network, the more credibility you have. You should be identifying and connecting with your target audience daily.

When your network grows, you'll be perceived as more of an authority. And your content will get more distribution too.

Making sure you're consistently expanding your network is key, especially in the beginning.

5. Start Conversations

It's not enough to just expand your network. You have to start meaningful conversations.

All sales starts with a conversation. The more conversations you have, the more sales you'll make.

Start by saying hi and asking an insightful question.

Don't be one of those used car salesmen types going around to a stranger asking if they need what you have.

They don't... and even if they do, they don't trust you enough to get it.

Focus on building the relationship first.

6. Get on Discovery Calls

Discovery calls are NOT sales calls. They are 15-min long and the focus is on getting to know the other person.

Ask them about their business. Ask them about their life.

Talk to them about challenges they may be having. Cool things they're doing. Projects they're working on.

Be genuinely interested in them.

And if by the end of those 15-minutes it sounds like they may be helped by your offer, invite them on another follow-up call if they're open to find out more.

7. Forget about the price, focus on sales and customer results

The less you make the price a friction point, the more customers you'll have.

The more customers you have, the better you'll get at delivering results.

The better you are at delivering results, the more social proof you'll gather.

The more social proof you gather, the more credibility you have.

And the more credibility you have, the more you can raise your prices.

Some of you will start complaining now that your time is worth more than whatever amount you're getting paid at the beginning.

It's not. That's why you're not getting paid those amounts.

Stop lying to yourself, and accept the fact that building a real business takes several steps. There are no shortcuts.

It's always better to work for pennies than be stuck waiting for customers and working for nothing.

The only thing that can make your life easier is credibility. So start building it, and over time it will become easier to attract and sell to customers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Contrary to what ALL the gurus tell you, you can't sell high-ticket with 0 credibility. Not at any meaningful scale anyway. Maybe you'll get 1 client every 6 months, but that's not a company. That's a hobby.

So the question you have to ask yourself is if you want to go on "playing" business, or you actually want to build a real business?

Because if it's the latter, then you need to build up to selling high-ticket. Not start by selling high-ticket.

Credibility takes time to build. You simply need time to build a great website, gather great testimonials, deliver amazing results, become a thought leader, and scale your network.

And there's no shortcut. There's no email, cold calling script, or tactic that can help you until then.

If someone sees you being a thought leader in your industry every single day for 90+ days, you can bet they'll consider you an expert.

Once they consider you an expert, they will be a lot more responsive to your offers.

And most importantly, they will begin trusting you. You're not longer a stranger. In their mind you're now someone they know.

3. Engage with others

Who are other thought leaders in your industry? Engage with them. Engage with your followers. Comment on great posts. Share. Participate.

This helps in two ways:

First, by seeing you engage with the thought leaders in your industry, some of their credibility will rub off on you.

And second, by engaging with your followers, they will see that you care and they'll begin trusting you.

4. Expand Your Network

The bigger your network, the more credibility you have. You should be identifying and connecting with your target audience daily.

When your network grows, you'll be perceived as more of an authority. And your content will get more distribution too.

Making sure you're consistently expanding your network is key, especially in the beginning.

5. Start Conversations

It's not enough to just expand your network. You have to start meaningful conversations.

All sales starts with a conversation. The more conversations you have, the more sales you'll make.

Don't be one of those used car salesmen types going around to a stranger asking if they need what you have.

Discovery calls are NOT sales calls. They are 15-min long and the focus is on getting to know the other person.

Talk to them about challenges they may be having. Cool things they're doing. Projects they're working on.

And if by the end of those 15-minutes it sounds like they may be helped by your offer, invite them on another follow-up call if they're open to find out more.

Some of you will start complaining now that your time is worth more than whatever amount you're getting paid at the beginning.

Stop lying to yourself, and accept the fact that building a real business takes several steps. There are no shortcuts.

It's always better to work for pennies than be stuck waiting for customers and working for nothing.

The only thing that can make your life easier is credibility. So start building it, and over time it will become easier to attract and sell to customers.
Thanks for this post.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price range is the range where people would stop to consider it expensive.
I don't run an agency but rather a home service business so price ranges are different. Till now I have been doing 15€ an hour and switching to set prices seems like a necessary next step to increase earned money vs. time spent.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

3. Engage with others

This helps in two ways:

4. Expand Your Network

5. Start Conversations

Nice. I think this applies to more than just agency owners too.

Here's part of that conversation:

Listen to @Andy Black @mavdm22. He has been very patient with you and has tried to help you see for yourself that the problem isn’t the service.

A lot of young people these days get their minds poisoned by gurus who tell them they can just open an email account, send emails to strangers or get a phone number and cold call strangers and get thousands of dollars in sales.

The reality is that it takes multiple touches in most cases to get someone to buy. We don’t live 10-15 years ago anymore.

People will check you out. They’ll check out your profiles on social media. They’ll check out your website. They’ll check out for how long you’ve been in business. And all these factors go into creating your credibility.

Today it’s harder to “trick” someone to buy what you have. Much harder.

If you reach out cold to a stranger, and you have a basic website and pretty much a naked LinkedIn profile with little to no content, no case studies, no testimonials, do you think you will be seen as a respectable business in thier eyes?

The correct answer is you won’t be. What you really need to do is start building relationships. Post content. Engage with people. Provide value. Start conversations. Get on discovery calls with people (not calls where you pitch them, just calls where you learn more about them and IF what you have can help, then you can invite them on another follow-up call to discuss it).

You can’t sell anything with 0 trust and 0 credibility, because no matter WHAT you say, people won’t BELIEVE you. You can say the most wonderful words in existence - it won’t help!

So I suggest you do focus on inbound. Even your outreach on social media should be angled towards building relationships FIRST, before selling. And the content you post will add to your credibility over time. The fact someone sees your post every day, for 90+ days will change the way they see you. By the end of those 90+ days you’ll be an expert in their minds.

In addition to that I suggest you join BNI. You can try a local chapter or even go for an online chapter from the US/UK. Get to know the people there, chat with them, make friends. You’ll get a lot of business in a little while if you do that.

^^^ This.

If someone messages me on LinkedIn or Facebook and we take it to email then I use email address andy@andyblack.net

They'll check out AndyBlack.net where they can follow their nose and look over my LinkedIn profile, YouTube channel, and articles I've written in this forum.

I make it easy for them to check me out.

I don't do "content marketing". I don't really get leads from the content I publish. I get referrals from building relationships. Those referrals do their due diligence and check out my content before or after they reach out to me.

That's how some small YouTube channels with barely any videos and only a few hundred views can generate lots of business ... they're not "content marketing", they're making it easy for people to check them out.

For those just starting out I suggest going through the Inbound/Sales thread in my signature.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wait, gurus lie? Nawwwwwwwwwwww.....

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price range is the range where people would stop to consider it expensive.
I don't run an agency but rather a home service business so price ranges are different. Till now I have been doing 15€ an hour and switching to set prices seems like a necessary next step to increase earned money vs. time spent.
It depends on the service, but the point is if you’re not getting enough customers at a certain price point to scale, and your marketing and sales processes are decent, then it’s time to lower your price until you can increase your credibility.

In your case it sounds like going for fixed prices is going to increase your ROI on the time you spend, which is a good thing. Always think in terms of delivering more value with less time!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh, and if one more person reaches out to me on Facebook or LinkedIn who has "High-Ticket Closer" in their profile then I'll explode.

Bonus irritation points if they start with "Can I ask you a question?"
You just did. Now feck off...

Some guru somewhere is selling some weird course that does not work (on me anyway)...

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
Here's part of that conversation:
"
A lot of young people these days get their minds poisoned by gurus who tell them they can just open an email account, send emails to strangers or get a phone number and cold call strangers and get thousands of dollars in sales.

The reality is that it takes multiple touches in most cases to get someone to buy. We don’t live 10-15 years ago anymore.
"

Definitely this, I used to get excited watching Fox's old videos on youtube in 2019 because I already had an IT/programming skillset and thought I could quit and replace my job income with WD in like 4-6 months- Possible but not easy. I kept reading some of the gold and notable freelancing threads on here, especially when those users started getting traction, and had this illusion that I could just throw myself at it and earn a living quickly. I had a vague notion sales skills were needed but everything I had seen made it seem trivial- It was not.

In the end, it actually took me a full year and a half after joining FWS and pressing myself, learning sales and cold outreach and facing rejection and putting in the work just to get to a point where I could think "Hey- I have skills and a portfolio now... maybe this will work fulltime finally?" I don't regret it and built some great relationships but it was probably 10x work the anyone on youtube would be willing to let on.

alex90048

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 21, 2023
This is a great post. Every day, I am approached by another sales person claiming to help me scale my legal business.

Here is the offering I always get:
1. $2,000 per month - $7,000 per month
2. Usually, minimum 1 year commitment
3. "We will help you grow your law firm" or "we will help you get more leads"
4. Never any concrete information on how they want to do that
5. Their fees are in addition to the digital ad spend that they say I need to invest in
6. A lot of very sales-y instagram posts and articles

One of the most interesting things I learned from MJ's books was: if the advice they are giving is so effective, then why aren't THEY running a law firm - why are they instead trying to teach me how to do it?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
if the advice they are giving is so effective, then why aren't THEY running a law firm - why are they instead trying to teach me how to do it?
It sounds like they're offering a DFY lead gen service. That doesn't mean they're interested in running a law firm.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
what kind of price range is the range where people would stop to consider it expensive.

The kind of prices Alex Hormonzi talks about in his book, where you charge 10x or more than your most expensive competitor.

Assume the average cost of mowing a lawn is $150 per visit in the US.
Your most expensive competitor charges $280.
So based on Hormonzi's theorem, you should be charging $2800 (10x) or $5,600 (20x) per visit.

At that price range, yes, people would stop to consider it expensive.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
The kind of prices Alex Hormonzi talks about in his book, where you charge 10x or more than your most expensive competitor.

Assume the average cost of mowing a lawn is $150 per visit in the US.
Your most expensive competitor charges $280.
So based on Hormonzi's theorem, you should be charging $2800 (10x) or $5,600 (20x) per visit.

At that price range, yes, people would stop to consider it expensive.
Alright now I need to find a way to charge around 5k for cleaning windows.
I know that the right customers won't mind paying this much but charging this much money just feels wrong yk.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Wait, gurus lie? Nawwwwwwwwwwww.....
For anyone who doesn’t quite get this, gurus have to make it seem easy so you buy their course, they have to make it seem like anyone can do it so that you buy the course.

Nobody would buy their course if they said it’s really hard, a lot of work and takes a lot of time. So instead they say it’s easy and can be done in 30 days with no work.
Alright now I need to find a way to charge around 5k for cleaning windows.
I know that the right customers won't mind paying this much but charging this much money just feels wrong yk.
What you should do is become so busy that you have to start putting your prices up because you don’t have enough space for clients.

Pinny

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 18, 2023
Definitely this, I used to get excited watching Fox's old videos on youtube in 2019 because I already had an IT/programming skillset and thought I could quit and replace my job income with WD in like 4-6 months- Possible but not easy. I kept reading some of the gold and notable freelancing threads on here, especially when those users started getting traction, and had this illusion that I could just throw myself at it and earn a living quickly. I had a vague notion sales skills were needed but everything I had seen made it seem trivial- It was not.

In the end, it actually took me a full year and a half after joining FWS and pressing myself, learning sales and cold outreach and facing rejection and putting in the work just to get to a point where I could think "Hey- I have skills and a portfolio now... maybe this will work fulltime finally?" I don't regret it and built some great relationships but it was probably 10x work the anyone on youtube would be willing to let on.
Is it worth it to apply for FWS in your opinion ?
If you can choose again Would you choose the same?
I'm sorry for ask but i really want sincere advice I don't have much money

Pinny

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 18, 2023

3. Engage with others

This helps in two ways:

4. Expand Your Network

5. Start Conversations

และหากเมื่อสิ้นสุด 15 นาทีนั้นดูเหมือนว่าพวกเขาอาจได้รับความช่วยเหลือจากข้อเสนอของคุณ ให้เชิญพวกเขาในการโทรติดตามอีกครั้งหากพวกเขาเปิดรับเพื่อขอข้อมูลเพิ่มเติม

7. ลืมเรื่องราคาไป โฟกัสที่ยอดขายและผลลัพธ์ของลูกค้า

ยิ่งคุณทำให้ราคาเป็นจุดเสียดทานน้อยลง คุณก็จะมีลูกค้ามากขึ้นเท่านั้น

ยิ่งคุณมีลูกค้ามากเท่าไหร่ คุณก็จะยิ่งได้ผลลัพธ์ที่ดีขึ้นเท่านั้น

ยิ่งคุณแสดงผลลัพธ์ได้ดีเท่าไหร่ คุณก็จะยิ่งรวบรวมหลักฐานทางสังคมได้มากขึ้นเท่านั้น

ยิ่งคุณรวบรวมหลักฐานทางสังคมได้มากเท่าไหร่คุณก็ยิ่งมีความน่าเชื่อถือมากขึ้นเท่านั้น

และยิ่งคุณมีความน่าเชื่อถือมากเท่าไหร่คุณก็ยิ่งสามารถขึ้นราคาได้มากเท่านั้น

พวกคุณบางคนจะเริ่มบ่นว่าเวลาของคุณมีค่ามากกว่าจำนวนเงินที่คุณได้รับในตอนแรก

มันไม่ใช่. นั่นเป็นเหตุผลที่คุณไม่ได้รับเงินจำนวนดังกล่าว

หยุดโกหกตัวเองและยอมรับความจริงที่ว่าการสร้างธุรกิจที่แท้จริงนั้นมีหลายขั้นตอน ไม่มีทางลัด

การทำงานเพื่อเงินนั้นดีกว่าเสมอที่จะรอลูกค้าและทำงานโดยเปล่าประโยชน์

สิ่งเดียวที่ทำให้ชีวิตคุณง่ายขึ้นคือความน่าเชื่อถือ ดังนั้นเริ่มสร้างมัน และเมื่อเวลาผ่านไป การดึงดูดและขายให้กับลูกค้าก็จะง่ายขึ้น
คุณไม่ได้หมายถึง fox web school ใช่ไหม

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
คุณไม่ได้หมายถึง fox web school ใช่ไหม
I don’t understand what you’re asking of me. I have a few clients who are also members of FWS, they seem quite happy with it. I’ve also known @Fox for quite awhile, he’s been on my podcast, good chap, with a solid reputation.

Whether FWS is the right choice for you is ultimately your decision. I suggest you check what the program involves and if that’s aligned with what your needs at the moment are, and then proceed. If you have questions, address them to @Fox or his support staff, they’ll be in a much better position to help you out.

You shouldn’t let other people make decisions for you though — and that includes people who may incline one way or the other. It’s important in your entrepreneurial journey that you learn to make your own decisions after gathering the data you need.

barangokalp

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 22, 2023

3. Engage with others

This helps in two ways:

4. Expand Your Network

5. Start Conversations

Hey great post, I appreciate it.

jlfastlane

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Apr 9, 2023
I can attest to this. All the gurus make it seem so easy and it was a process just to get my first free trial client. I need to continue to do 2-4 more free trials to gather the social proof then I can start charging more once I prove that I can actually get the results I am saying.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can attest to this. All the gurus make it seem so easy and it was a process just to get my first free trial client. I need to continue to do 2-4 more free trials to gather the social proof then I can start charging more once I prove that I can actually get the results I am saying.
Do you really "need" 2-4 more free trials? What if you got results for the first client, and/or referrals from the first client?

When I started out I picked up clients without even mentioning any previous work.

"I do those wee Google Ads."

A few people then button-holed me at the coffee break.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iaVpqiUETl8

jlfastlane

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Apr 9, 2023
Do you really "need" 2-4 more free trials? What if you got results for the first client, and/or referrals from the first client?
Honestly probably not - I mean I got my first free trial client 4 clients within the first week. Definitely could be a lot more, have gotten 80 or so leads just off targeting males 25-40, going to switch to males 40+ this week. I think my 2 demo calls didn't go that well last week more so because of my sales skills rather than my previous experience. I definitely need to get my CPL lower as it's like $3.50 right now - I am going to offer a long term package for my current free trial client, I have to follow up with one of the guys who I had a demo call with last week, he said he doesn't know if it's the right time money wise but he said the price was more than reasonable. The other one went with a local one

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.