The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to shift into next gear.

Nicephore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 12, 2022
France
Hello there,

I’m Nicéphore¹, 46 (yes, that old), from France. Apologies for my likely rough english, I’m more used to read it than to write it.

I just finished TMF , french version, from my Slowlane comfy job (web developper, you know, all that HTML/CSS/JS stuff). So what now ? Time to pass the third gear.

The third ? From the slowlane ? Mmmh… I may need to go back in time to explain.

Before I get to the story, here are some words from me that I think are important, in this place, if you want to know about me.
I do not care about money, I do not want money for the sake of money. I want freedom. In a capitalist world, money buys freedom, so here I am.
I am not into cars. As far as I am concerned, cars are meant to go from point A to point B, period. You cannot make me dream with a Lambo. (Wait, ain’t that the reason it took me so long to get here ?)

I want a house facing the sea, and I want my childhood house back. (Unhealed trauma, that should be powerful enough to get me riding the fastlane, provided the world does not fall apart in the meantime − seems 2008 want to strike back). I want to get rid of debt, I  want time to draw, to travel, to grow a garden, to test a lot of things from 3D printing, to, … Well I want lots of things.

Let’s get back to my life.
I grew up in a house near the sea. Dad was a scholar physician burning out on the slow lane, mom did not work on a regular basis. When dad decided to get burn himself elsewhere far from Home, he had to sell The House, as he could not afford to pay it, nor could he rent it as-is and no money for renovation, of course.  I was 13. From this point in time, I moved every 1.5 years on average until The Crash.

I was a shy an weird boy, the kind that attracts bullying and repels girls. And a nerd. I loved computers.
I started my scholarship brilliantly, without barely doing nothing. Then I spent a year in Africa when I was 16, following dad. My first, and only experience of what was near freedom. When I  went back, I slowly slipped into depression. I somewhat managed to finish high school, then graduate studies ended in a total mess. I got to Art school, admitted 1st to the entrance examination and never made it to 2nd year. I then went to university, study economics. Failed again. Then I manage to get an associate degree in computing.

At university, I met a girl that seemed interested. The only one that I seemed to please.

And before I  understand what happened, she put me on the Slowlane. Married, two kids and a job web developper in a web agency. Making websites all day. Lots of websites. I was like anesthetized. But when she started asking that we buy a house, I started to feel very, very unconfortable. Then an a event happened. I had an opportunity to start a business with a (female) colleague of mine, flee the tyranny of our boss, and do what he did, but technically better, and more expensive. Guess what happened ?

Crash.

Marriage, business, family, and what was left my self-confidence and self-esteem badly wrecked in one year. All at once. No revenue, tons of debts. Bankrupt³. Then began the ballet of creditors, tax collectors, bailiffs and some vultures passing by.

I then got a choice to make. I could either kill myself, or reboot. Obviously, I chose reboot⁴. I choose to go deep, all the way through depression : I did not want to mitigate it with meds, I wanted a cure for the cause, not the symptoms⁵. So I  started by the beginning : "What is wrong with me ?".

I wiped all my value system (which was mainly dad’s, btw), my whole world understanding, and started to relearn life. It took me 4 years, tons of tobacco, liters of alcohol, to get enough mental stability, and finally get a job, and get back in the sidewalk. 1st gear. (debts, remember).

Then I burned out. Back to healing/introspection for 3 years, met a girl, and get back to work again. Full Remote, better pay, debts cleared, I’m back on Slowlane start, only 20 years late. I still needed healing, I could not start a business again yet. 2nd gear.

A kid, and a house later, here I am, reading The Millionaire Fastlane . I’m 46. French retirement system will no longer exist when I’ll get the age, and I have barely no saving yet. I’ll never make it much longer in a regular job anyway.

And the puzzle is suddenly complete:
What I knew subconsciously, is now clear. I know how and why I always failed : all my businesses attempts⁶ where time tied (that CENTS thing, you know), and without scale. About the end, I was even afraid of getting new customers, as it meant I would have to spend more time making their website, and still barely no revenue.

Then I  craved for years for a business idea that I could enjoy, or at least endure ("do what you love", they said), as I would have to do it all life long. Never found it, obviously. It does not have to be pleasant if you’re not doing it 9 to 5⁷. So simple. That was the missing piece.

Thank you @MJ DeMarco.

Now, It’s time to pass the 3rd gear.

¹ stolen from Nicéphore Niépce, inventor of photography. Kinda french Thomas Edison.
² Yes, this is France, we do have manual gearboxes in almost every car.
³ There is no such thing as personal bankruptcy in France. You cannot wipe professional debts, especially social security ones.
⁴ Thanks to my kids. I could not leave them with no dad.
⁵ Read that somewhere, recently…
⁶ There were 2 more attempts I did not mention before the one that crashed.
⁷ Hell, I’ve been doing things I don’t like for all my professional life!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard, appreciate the intro.

Nicephore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 12, 2022
France
Thanks you! :wideyed:

I just found my first "non-loved" business idea this morning: deliver book without destroying them. :D
Madam just received 2 books from Amazon, following return of two same that were torn, and the new ones are chipped on every corner.

It’s the third time it happens.

How could Amazon build its empire on book shipping ?

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 18, 2021
England
Hello there,

I’m Nicéphore¹, 46 (yes, that old), from France. Apologies for my likely rough english, I’m more used to read it than to write it.

I just finished TMF , french version, from my Slowlane comfy job (web developper, you know, all that HTML/CSS/JS stuff). So what now ? Time to pass the third gear.

The third ? From the slowlane ? Mmmh… I may need to go back in time to explain.

Before I get to the story, here are some words from me that I think are important, in this place, if you want to know about me.
I do not care about money, I do not want money for the sake of money. I want freedom. In a capitalist world, money buys freedom, so here I am.
I am not into cars. As far as I am concerned, cars are meant to go from point A to point B, period. You cannot make me dream with a Lambo. (Wait, ain’t that the reason it took me so long to get here ?)

I want a house facing the sea, and I want my childhood house back. (Unhealed trauma, that should be powerful enough to get me riding the fastlane, provided the world does not fall apart in the meantime − seems 2008 want to strike back). I want to get rid of debt, I  want time to draw, to travel, to grow a garden, to test a lot of things from 3D printing, to, … Well I want lots of things.

Let’s get back to my life.
I grew up in a house near the sea. Dad was a scholar physician burning out on the slow lane, mom did not work on a regular basis. When dad decided to get burn himself elsewhere far from Home, he had to sell The House, as he could not afford to pay it, nor could he rent it as-is and no money for renovation, of course.  I was 13. From this point in time, I moved every 1.5 years on average until The Crash.

I was a shy an weird boy, the kind that attracts bullying and repels girls. And a nerd. I loved computers.
I started my scholarship brilliantly, without barely doing nothing. Then I spent a year in Africa when I was 16, following dad. My first, and only experience of what was near freedom. When I  went back, I slowly slipped into depression. I somewhat managed to finish high school, then graduate studies ended in a total mess. I got to Art school, admitted 1st to the entrance examination and never made it to 2nd year. I then went to university, study economics. Failed again. Then I manage to get an associate degree in computing.

At university, I met a girl that seemed interested. The only one that I seemed to please.

And before I  understand what happened, she put me on the Slowlane. Married, two kids and a job web developper in a web agency. Making websites all day. Lots of websites. I was like anesthetized. But when she started asking that we buy a house, I started to feel very, very unconfortable. Then an a event happened. I had an opportunity to start a business with a (female) colleague of mine, flee the tyranny of our boss, and do what he did, but technically better, and more expensive. Guess what happened ?

Crash.

Marriage, business, family, and what was left my self-confidence and self-esteem badly wrecked in one year. All at once. No revenue, tons of debts. Bankrupt³. Then began the ballet of creditors, tax collectors, bailiffs and some vultures passing by.

I then got a choice to make. I could either kill myself, or reboot. Obviously, I chose reboot⁴. I choose to go deep, all the way through depression : I did not want to mitigate it with meds, I wanted a cure for the cause, not the symptoms⁵. So I  started by the beginning : "What is wrong with me ?".

I wiped all my value system (which was mainly dad’s, btw), my whole world understanding, and started to relearn life. It took me 4 years, tons of tobacco, liters of alcohol, to get enough mental stability, and finally get a job, and get back in the sidewalk. 1st gear. (debts, remember).

Then I burned out. Back to healing/introspection for 3 years, met a girl, and get back to work again. Full Remote, better pay, debts cleared, I’m back on Slowlane start, only 20 years late. I still needed healing, I could not start a business again yet. 2nd gear.

A kid, and a house later, here I am, reading The Millionaire Fastlane . I’m 46. French retirement system will no longer exist when I’ll get the age, and I have barely no saving yet. I’ll never make it much longer in a regular job anyway.

And the puzzle is suddenly complete:
What I knew subconsciously, is now clear. I know how and why I always failed : all my businesses attempts⁶ where time tied (that CENTS thing, you know), and without scale. About the end, I was even afraid of getting new customers, as it meant I would have to spend more time making their website, and still barely no revenue.

Then I  craved for years for a business idea that I could enjoy, or at least endure ("do what you love", they said), as I would have to do it all life long. Never found it, obviously. It does not have to be pleasant if you’re not doing it 9 to 5⁷. So simple. That was the missing piece.

Thank you @MJ DeMarco.

Now, It’s time to pass the 3rd gear.

¹ stolen from Nicéphore Niépce, inventor of photography. Kinda french Thomas Edison.
² Yes, this is France, we do have manual gearboxes in almost every car.
³ There is no such thing as personal bankruptcy in France. You cannot wipe professional debts, especially social security ones.
⁴ Thanks to my kids. I could not leave them with no dad.
⁵ Read that somewhere, recently…
⁶ There were 2 more attempts I did not mention before the one that crashed.
⁷ Hell, I’ve been doing things I don’t like for all my professional life!
Sounds like you have your whys, a nice house in Provence, while away your days drawing/painting and growing a garden. Get your 10 year plan written down and just go for it. Just pick one idea and just put 100% of your time and effort in to reaching your ten year goal, Inch by inch, day by day, month by month, year by year and you will get there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nicephore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 12, 2022
France
Thanks.

Alas my childhood dream of creating the first hyperspatial travelling ship seems compromised for some time ("Dream big", they said). And I am some businesses away to compete with Musk, I guess.

Still, I have a lot of whys, mostly revenge on life. Just, I could not make them work well with the how. ^^

Prior to reading TMF , I was planning on drawing "sexy ladies" and sell them over the internet. Seemed an easy way to start. It could get me some bucks, but not very much without always adding lots of content. Still somewhat very time tied with a low entry.

So right now, I’m starting to collect needs. Then I’ll explore them more in details and choose one that I can fulfill from where I am. As I see things now, first draft, I give myself roughly a year to get the business legally started and running, and 2 to quit my job. This is the short term first draft of the plan.

The rest of the plan will depend on the business kind, I suppose. But I’m digging in the forum to get better insight.

Last edited:

Nicephore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 12, 2022
France
So…

Last week I was wasting my time on social media, candy crush and such, not knowing what to do of my boring yet stressful life, wating for 6pm and afraid to talk to any human being (except family).

And today I’m and seriously¹ considering that raising millions from business angels to bootstrap an energy provider could be a very good and viable idea, and so excited I can’t sleep ?

Damn, I struggled a life long to come up with an idea, and today they pop from everywhere in my mind. And when I ditch them because it-is-already-done, they strike back with reinforcement.

MJ DeMarco, I’m not sure of what you concealed in your book but it is very, very powerful. I’m kinda afraid of the weaning, though.

¹ Well ok, I might need to do some basic market/feasibility research and math before I start making calls, but as a pure idea, every piece fits very well and if I can price it low enough, I’d subscribe myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...