The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tips for asking better questions

Anything related to matters of the mind

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Asking questions is crucial to so many things in life.
Learning how to ask productive questions takes practice.
I'm no expert, but here are some things I've learned and continue to practice.

Things to Note
  • I made this post with a virtual setting in mind (i.e., the forum).
  • I tried to categorize these tips, but many points can be applied to several categories.
  • If anyone has anything to add, please do!

Asking for Advice
When asking for advice, avoid:
  • asking others to solve your problem.
    • For example, "Should I take this job?" is asking someone else to do emotional and mental labor for you. Weighing pros and cons and making a decision is often hard. But, it's your situation, therefore your responsibility to do the emotional and mental work to make a decision.
  • introducing bias.
    • Keep your questions neutral. Avoid questions that reflect what you want to hear. For example, "Do you agree that this sounds like a good job?" makes the person you're asking feel that you're only asking for validation that it is a good job, and not that you're asking for their true opinion.
  • asking "yes/no" questions when you should be asking open-ended questions.
    • "Yes/no" questions have their time and place. Usually these kinds of questions are best suited as follow up questions to solidify your understanding. "Is this a good job?" is a "yes/no" question. And it's a bad question. First, the person you're asking is going to start expending a ton of emotional and mental energy trying to figure out what a "good" job means to you and what it means to them. Second, you come off as expecting a "yes/no" answer and as though you're not looking for a discussion on the topic.
  • asking questions that make the people you're asking ask you questions to clarify what you're asking and why.

Asking About Something You Disagree With
When you're curious about someone else's views or actions:
  • start with something positive. "Wow, that was dumb. Why didn't you do it this way?" is going to trigger most people to become defensive, and the conversation will most likely not be productive.
  • seek understanding.

Asking for Information to Solve a Tangible Problem
It's better to:
  • have already tried at least once to solve the problem on your own.
  • ask focused questions. For example, "How do I make a website?" is too broad (and it indicates that you haven't taken much action towards solving the problem on your own first).
  • provide background. Explain why you're asking the question and explain the steps you've taken and the reason(s) for needing help.
  • ask questions that inspire people to analyze possibilities.

When Receiving Answers
  • If someone has taken the time to answer you or chat with you, thank them.
  • Keep an open mind.
  • Ask follow up questions if appropriate or needed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
569%
Apr 17, 2022
Awesome @REV5028

Unfortunately, the people that would need to read this thread the most are the least likely ones to actually do it. I believe that common sense and self-awareness are keys to being able to navigate the world and help other people help you.

If you know how to ask the right question, the problem is already 50% solved.

And speaking of good questions...
Do you agree that I should start a business, and how do I do it? Yes or no?

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
389%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
When Receiving Answers
To add to this one - Listen. I think lots of people will ask questions & not fully interpret the response. You mentioned it, but asking follow up questions is a good litmus test to see if you understand. In general conversation, you can do this again and again and people love to talk about themselves!

I've had it done to me a couple times & you feel more postive towards the person asking you all about something you love. They're engaging in it & that feels great.

I've also done it to others and found you get really interesting responses + often learn something new.

Thank you for the post!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Awesome @REV5028

Unfortunately, the people that would need to read this thread the most are the least likely ones to actually do it. I believe that common sense and self-awareness are keys to being able to navigate the world and help other people help you.

If you know how to ask the right question, the problem is already 50% solved.

And speaking of good questions...
Do you agree that I should start a business, and how do I do it? Yes or no?
If this post reduces the number of times "should I do this??" shows up on the forum by even just one, I'll be happy.

I agree that common sense and self-awareness are critical life skills, but I feel we're often only taught/guided enough in our most formative years to survive. To really thrive it often takes a lot of self teaching and reflecting. My hope for this thread is to spark some self-awareness and reflection. Speaking of...

Excellent question! I agree that you should start a business and you do it by just doing it. Yes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
To add to this one - Listen. I think lots of people will ask questions & not fully interpret the response. You mentioned it, but asking follow up questions is a good litmus test to see if you understand. In general conversation, you can do this again and again and people love to talk about themselves!

I've had it done to me a couple times & you feel more postive towards the person asking you all about something you love. They're engaging in it & that feels great.

I've also done it to others and found you get really interesting responses + often learn something new.

Thank you for the post!
Absolutely. Listening and actually paying attention to what others are saying is also really important. Even if you're not asking questions to solve a problem, learning how to ask questions to show interest and curiosity in conversations significantly helps build connections, make you more memorable, and you learn new things.

Thanks for the addition!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
569%
Apr 17, 2022
Excellent question! I agree that you should start a business and you do it by just doing it. Yes.
Thank you for the elaborate answer on my well thought out question.

It's even better than the answer I got from googling "what is the answer to life the universe and everything" (try it :hilarious:).

Now I understand everything I need to know to make my millions.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

Please SEARCH before posting.