The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are you suposed to do when you have no idea ?

Idea threads

forevermiring

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 16, 2023
Hello, I am 19, still in college and I tried some businesses but failed, dropshipping and trying to sell hoodies in my school. But I read the fastlane millionaire and the great rat race escape and I keep thinking about the CENTS thing. when I got the idea of hoodies I worked a lot on it but it failed and now I have nothing. So my question is this: we always hear about working hard and laying off distractions and I do that ( the distraction thing ) I don't know WHAT I should work hard for, what are we supposed to do when we have no idea about the business we wanna start? I'm just waiting for it because I like disconnecting and working my a$$ off something. Should I just have a notebook and keep my eyes on a complaint and an idea? I'm confused

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3x156

It's not about what business you want to start, it's about what market needs.
Do you see any problems around you that you can fix for a profit?

Also, if you want to be in the fashion business, I encourage you to think more creatively.

Instead of making simple hoodies that basically anyone else can make, try making creative stuff like this company:

serverless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Aug 11, 2022
United States
I was in your exact position, MJ DeMarco has a great video on this "
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4
". Essentially you must work your way up the ladder I'm 18 right now and I've sought out jobs in which I could learn skills, I've learned a lot about the industry I work in and some problems that are very common. This is where you start to create a specialized unit/product. I spent months trying to create this specialized product only to end up frustrated because I jumped the ladder and really had no idea how any of those industries worked or what problems they faced that are no so obvious to those on the outside.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello, I am 19, still in college and I tried some businesses but failed, dropshipping and trying to sell hoodies in my school. But I read the fastlane millionaire and the great rat race escape and I keep thinking about the CENTS thing. when I got the idea of hoodies I worked a lot on it but it failed and now I have nothing. So my question is this: we always hear about working hard and laying off distractions and I do that ( the distraction thing ) I don't know WHAT I should work hard for, what are we supposed to do when we have no idea about the business we wanna start? I'm just waiting for it because I like disconnecting and working my a$$ off something. Should I just have a notebook and keep my eyes on a complaint and an idea? I'm confused
Maybe check out the first 2-3 rows of links in my signature.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
May 9, 2021
Tough question but one we see a lot from younger people here on this forum.

The GOOD NEWS is that you read the books and you have enough foresight to know getting chained to a desk and whipped like a dog is a sh!t way to live.

The BAD NEWS is that you're now carrying this dread of the future and looking for out- BUT you don't have any appreciable skills yet or a monetary foundation to pick up and turn into a business.

I don't know if you're in college or not, if you are, stick with it but work like hell to see if your profs need any help or could recc you for internship and learn as much as possible of the good stuff from your industry and start to formulate ways to provide that as a sole proprietor. If not that, you could just complete college, get the regular job, and suffer for 1-4 years as you build a monetary base and studying the forum and maybe try your hand on e-commerce.

Failing that and you need cash NOW- start a service business. I believe @piano and @savefox both started some and found a lot of success they didn't expect. Myself doing cold-calling for local businesses in my area, I run across a STUPID amount of people doing simple things like car detailing, simple contracting, or even landscaping that earn more than enough to make a decent living. In fact, one of my buds I met when cold calling managed to drop out of high school and start a power washing business, flipped it into a painting business and hired and made 600k in one year, and then took THOSE skills and now runs a 4.5mil/year construction company.

The sky is literally the limit, just depends on what you want to do, how you can sell yourself, and if you're willing to face pain in the short term for pleasure in the long term. If you ever want to talk to someone or some ground rules on cold prospecting/door knocking just hit me up in a message.

Best of luck man

Tks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Feb 6, 2023
Earth
Tough question but one we see a lot from younger people here on this forum.

The GOOD NEWS is that you read the books and you have enough foresight to know getting chained to a desk and whipped like a dog is a sh!t way to live.

The BAD NEWS is that you're now carrying this dread of the future and looking for out- BUT you don't have any appreciable skills yet or a monetary foundation to pick up and turn into a business.

I don't know if you're in college or not, if you are, stick with it but work like hell to see if your profs need any help or could recc you for internship and learn as much as possible of the good stuff from your industry and start to formulate ways to provide that as a sole proprietor. If not that, you could just complete college, get the regular job, and suffer for 1-4 years as you build a monetary base and studying the forum and maybe try your hand on e-commerce.

Failing that and you need cash NOW- start a service business. I believe @piano and @savefox both started some and found a lot of success they didn't expect. Myself doing cold-calling for local businesses in my area, I run across a STUPID amount of people doing simple things like car detailing, simple contracting, or even landscaping that earn more than enough to make a decent living. In fact, one of my buds I met when cold calling managed to drop out of high school and start a power washing business, flipped it into a painting business and hired and made 600k in one year, and then took THOSE skills and now runs a 4.5mil/year construction company.

The sky is literally the limit, just depends on what you want to do, how you can sell yourself, and if you're willing to face pain in the short term for pleasure in the long term. If you ever want to talk to someone or some ground rules on cold prospecting/door knocking just hit me up in a message.

Best of luck man
This is motivating as hell. I'm also in college and trying to get a job as a car salesman. The problem is I don't know if they offer part-time jobs or not. Maybe I can just ask in the interview.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.