The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Just finished listening to;

"The Fund"
"Ray Dalio, Bridgewater associates, and the unraveling of a Wall Street Legend"

I guess it was supposed to be a bit of a hit piece but there wasn't anything in it I thought was unexpected from a hedge fund of that size and nature, especially after reading Dalio's posts online for the last few years. It was long, 14 hours that I listened to at 1.5x speed, not one I'll be recommending to my book club.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Beston Keghtor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 20, 2022
Abuja, Nigeria
I've got a stack of books by my bed that I'm working through:

Awaken the Giant Within - Tony Robbins (read it before, but recently started reading it again).

An Introduction to Psychology (can't remember by whom, but its the university type handbooks, so it often succeeds in putting me asleep - the theory bits that is).

How life imitates chess - Gary Kasparov (I'm about halfway through this one - was wondering how to become great in chess/life, and this book seemed like a fit).

Successfull Interpersonal Communication - Another handbook (still to start reading it).

How to have kick-a$$ ideas - Chris Barez-Brown. (I'm about 75% through this book, and so far I think it is a great book. It has great exercises, lots of pictures/drawing that makes it an easy read, and is immensely useful in coming up with creative ideas to make the most of your opportunities (a rephrase from 'problems' :)).

Your idea can make you rich - Its from the guys who run the Dragon's Den. So far I'm not really impressed as it feels like the 'same-old' entrepreneur advice in a million other books, but I'm not done reading it completely yet, so I might still change my opinion.

The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties - Steve Burgess (I'm still to start reading this one though - I bought it thinking it would be specific to the UK market, but it isnt, so I'll read it further into the future).

Thats it for my currently reading/unread stack next to my bed.

What are you reading?
Currently reading Copywriting Secrets by Jim Edward.

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Winning by Tim Grover.
How'd you like this book?

Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman

How is it? This is one that I've been hearing about for years, and see quoted pretty often in other books, but haven't gotten around to reading it. I think I read preview on my Kindle, and found it pretty scientific and dry to read, but maybe I should revisit it.

The art of effortlessness

I'm not finding this anywhere. Who's the author?

goldminer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 19, 2024

How is it? This is one that I've been hearing about for years, and see quoted pretty often in other books, but haven't gotten around to reading it. I think I read preview on my Kindle, and found it pretty scientific and dry to read, but maybe I should revisit it.

It's been a while when I read it

Idk who the author is but the book follows a concept of wu - wei
It's about flow state

What I learnt from it :
Don't care about you reach the state of flow

Just do what you want to do and let it happen
Letting go of the need to control

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Currently listening to:

"Never Be Sick Again, Health is a Choice, Learn How to Choose it" By Raymond Francis M.Sc. and Kester Cotton (free on Audible at the moment)

My mind is being blown... it distills health issues down to:

One disease
Two causes
Six pathways

Maybe it's too simplistic? I'll reserve my judgement for when I've finished reading.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Just finished Prophet Song, winner of the Booker Prize in 2023, a dystopian novel set in Ireland. I didn't mind it, not sure it's something I'd recommend people have to read though.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

10/10 - Its a great book. Tim Grover imo is my favorite over David Goggins. He speaks about results. Lots of information in that book about winning and how you need to get up and do things yourself. Relentless is another. I think it's his most famous one. Might be a bit underrated for a book, but he's very good. I like his teachings and psychology around winning.

In summary, it's about getting the job done.

David Goggins though is a beast and definitely is still on my top list. His story is great.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxebYQ5-JU4&t=3064s&pp=ygUKVGltIGdyb3Zlcg%3D%3D

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Best dating book for men hands down:

The Dating Playbook by Andrew Farabee. Oh yeah.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
10.5 books into the Sword of Truth series. Had pretty severe fatigue over the last 3-4 weeks and all I can do is read most days... so this has been a good fantasy series for taking up the time.

AlFarquhar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 2, 2024
Just wrapping up The Surrender Experiment by Michael A Singer. Definitely a book to reread.

I thought this book was going to stay spiritual and hippy, but damn! Didn't realize he was a billionaire when I got the book.

pmusu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 17, 2024
Amsterdam
After finishing MLF I didn't know what to pick-up next so I grabbed Lean Startup by Eric Ries. Interesting ideas on how to seek validated learning while building a product and testing market demand for it.

I think being an engineer is a curse because my role has always been about "building the thing right" instead of "building the right thing".

“We must learn what customers really want, not what they say they want or what we think they should want.”

The next one I have on the list is Zero to One by Peter Thiel. Seems to be highly recommended for anybody who wants to start a business.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
594%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just finished "Advanced Interviewing Techniques" Fourth Edition by Jack Schafer and Joe Navarro. Navarro also wrote the book "What Every Body is Saying."

Both books cover body language, but the former also covers police interview (interrogation) techniques including how they plan out interviews, questions and question structures. Interviewing themes. Room setup. Reading room cues, eye blocking cues, distance cues etc.

If you're already familiar with body language and interviewing, then it's a good refresher and reference book since the techniques are broken into short paragraphs designed for practical application rather than storytelling.

If you're not familiar with police tactics and techniques, this book will open your eyes to why you should never talk to the police if you ever find yourself on the wrong end of an investigation.

One of the real eye-openers is how the authors describe approaches for increasing the likelihood of a conviction even without a confession. Even when a suspect hasn't been found guilty, the police want to win, and a win looks like a conviction as an outcome for the time, effort, and energy sank into an investigation/arrest.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Just finished "Advanced Interviewing Techniques" Fourth Edition by Jack Schafer and Joe Navarro. Navarro also wrote the book "What Every Body is Saying."

Both books cover body language, but the former also covers police interview (interrogation) techniques including how they plan out interviews, questions and question structures. Interviewing themes. Room setup. Reading room cues, eye blocking cues, distance cues etc.

If you're already familiar with body language and interviewing, then it's a good refresher and reference book since the techniques are broken into short paragraphs designed for practical application rather than storytelling.

If you're not familiar with police tactics and techniques, this book will open your eyes to why you should never talk to the police if you ever find yourself on the wrong end of an investigation.

One of the real eye-openers is how the authors describe approaches for increasing the likelihood of a conviction even without a confession. Even when a suspect hasn't been found guilty, the police want to win, and a win looks like a conviction as an outcome for the time, effort, and energy sank into an investigation/arrest.
Just do not sign on the witness statement. All their effort will go wasted.

At the end of the session they need you to confess all the wrong things you have said with a signature.

They cannot demand you to sign on something just because you “said it”.

A statement during an investigation is still a voluntary statement.

The main trick of the police is to withhold the evidence, so that you don’t know what they know, get you to agree some facts, then challenge you by showing their evidence. Then waiting for you to crack.

You can change the whole statement into “My head hurts and I cannot remember a thing. I need to rest” and sign on it.

No one can stop you from doing that.

If you fish out what evidence the police has it gives you time to build a defence by discussing with the lawyer.

The next time the evidence will be shown to you is months later after the pre trial conference.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.