The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who have you helped?

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Title changed from:
  • 300 surveys & emails, 5 free calls, one $400 sale (in 30 days)
to:
  • Who have you helped?
Good change! "Who have you helped/Who can you help/How can you help" Been in my mind since you sent me the PM and helped me figure out my next focus area! Thanks again

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Since @Andy Black wrote me a PM after I followed him (thx to his valuable posts on this forum), I have been pondering on "Who have I helped recently / Who can I help?"

This question has been in my head ever since he wrote me "Can you start sooner and simpler?" This was his answer to my elaborated plan of finding out real needs in the market with identifying some niche that interests me and following up with perfectly worked out cold calls.

It was one of those questions that just don't let go. I had to take action.

I went on to listen to his awesome recordings with TFLF members (still binge listening) Andy Black to understand better ...

This one was especially interesting because of the speed of execution - Who have you helped?

I wrote down everything I helped people with in the past year - tasks, goals, inspirations.

First hiccup in the analysis came up - I love executing, instead of just going to Quora and answering people's question. I just love making things happen, instead of long talks [I guess it's my hate for long and useless meetings I had to go through in my corporate career].

Not saying I don't stop in the beginning to come up with a proper strategy and plan, but I love making ideas happen! Insights, research, gathering as much info as possible in the shortest possible time frame and making it happen - throw it out there for the market mind to evaluate & reward you with value exchange. It's about learning on the go - very influenced by Lean Startup - build - measure - learn. Just to clarify, "build" doesn't mean building in the dark room for x days and then [fanfare] launching only to experience tumbleweeds [sad trombone sound]. It's about building MVP/S getting it in front of the market mind, get feedback, adjust and cycle goes on ...

So I decided to help people in my network who are small entrepreneurs, doing honest business, focusing on what they do best - helping their customers. Opened Linkedin and found at least 5 of them. All of them have a lot of room to improve in terms of getting quality leads and more sales so they can help even more people.

Instead of complicating things, like "what if they misuse my good will, what if they are the worst type of clients, what if there is nothing out of it", I'd rather say - "what do I have to lose?" I will do my best work, learn tons of new stuff in real market conditions and as a bonus I can get future referrals ... so get the f*ck out there and help somebody! You have tons of skills and knowledge to share!
That’s for taking the time to write this up. Rep+

Here’s one to think about:

Instead of “what have I got to lose?” ... how about “what’s the best that can happen?”.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
While on this forum I typically feel overwhelmed or humbled by the knowledgeable advice OR I’m utterly annoyed by the massive flow of new people who ask stupid questions and pray to God I won’t be like them.

But this? This post made me happy. Since reading MJ’s books (I’m at 87% on Unscripted !!) I’ve thought over and over on how to help more people doing new stuff or how to inspire my children to be problem-solvers. But I never actually sat back and thought, “I belong here, I’m an entrepreneur.”

Because it’s kinda terrifying thinking that, for me, even though I own a business.

But. I help people every single day. My clients love me, they refuse to go to other people, they get on a waiting list to see me.. huh.

Anyhoo.. I had a bit of a eureka just now.. and I wanted to say thank you. It IS about helping people and doing that is a wonderful thing.

Hugs. (If you’re ok with hugs. Lol)
Congrats on your accomplishments!!

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Thanks. What were your takeaways? Is it helping your business endevours?

I'm not sure yet but I'm in the groups helping people and I've had 5 Zoom calls already. 2 more scheduled this week.

I'm just helping people set up their Google Ads the right way and I'm not asking anything about hiring me.

Should I be mentioning something about hiring me? Or will they feel obligated to help me out down the line?

One girl I helped in the UK is getting great results. She's always messaging me asking about this and about that but she's getting click's and calls.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I need to start saying something at the end of the call like if you feel that you stilll need help with this then I do run Google Ads for local businesses or if you know anyone who needs help please pass on my information.
That could work. I think it’s a case of trying different angles to see what works and you’re comfortable with. Asking if they know someone who needs help is a good angle as they’re not put on the spot.

My client roster is normally pretty full so I don’t bring up them hiring me in the call unless they do first.

I do say I’ll send a quick email to summarise what we went through, and/or list links to articles or videos that go into more detail.

That email helps me later to remember what was discussed, and sometimes people circle back or refer people on years later.

It’s also opened a dialogue where they can continue if they want, and possibly ask about rates etc without doing it on a call.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Just while reading the topic of a new thread ( while I m procrastinating as usual;) ), I remembered my 15 year old self:

My parents were building a house for us. It was a big deal, as we weren’t rich and every cent was turned around twice.

My parents didn’t make it themselves and I wasn’t allowed to do anyting at our house.

So in that area many houses were built and I wanted to do that house building work.
So someday I just went from one construction site to the other and just asked, if I could help.
At first, Nobody wanted to let a 15 yr old help on a construction site, but with the time, I got jobs.

I did that maybe one year or so, than the houses in the bigger neighborhood were finished, My interests changend a bit.

But in that time I learned different skills, but I never charged any money.

The skills I learned were sure not at the highest levels, but from there I got good jobs the years afte, when I was studying and could ask for a job as mason , carpenter ...helper with basic knowledge.

And sure I got some money here and there, but the main profit for me was to learn the construction skills, the social management with coworkers and least not last the connections.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy one quick question.

How would you define "helping"?
IMO, business is simple:
  • Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Swap "help" for "entertain" or whatever resonates with you best.

One of the simplest ways to help people can be by giving thanks:

I contend people don't get enough helping people, and they often do it to get something in return.

To be in business though we need to GET PAID.

So ultimately we want to help/entertain/add value, AND get paid.

So while you exercise your helping muscle, think about how you can help people with some service or product AND get paid.

Does that help?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am also curious about Ask by Ryan Levesque. Has anyone else here read it? My reading list is already very long so I am curious if it is worth bumping another book down the list to read.
I've got it on the Kindle and on Audible. It was recommended that I read it from Chapter 12 onwards (because the first half of the book is stories and from 12 it's the nuts and bolts). I've not got too far into it, but I think I already know the first deep-dive survey having studied Dr Glenn Livingston's stuff back in 2009. (Ryan has other surveys too.) I'll be surveying folks shortly, then might go back and continue reading/listening.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I've got it on the Kindle and on Audible. It was recommended that I read it from Chapter 12 onwards (because the first half of the book is stories and from 12 it's the nuts and bolts). I've not got too far into it, but I think I already know the first deep-dive survey having studied Dr Glenn Livingston's stuff back in 2009. (Ryan has other surveys too.) I'll be surveying folks shortly, then might go back and continue reading/listening.

That was my takeaway from Amazon. A few reviews showed that some people weren't interested in the first half.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ryan has his "Ask/Survey funnels" where he finds out what people are stuck on and how to help them (plus more I'm sure).

As discussed in this call, my main takeaway from Dr Glenn Livingston's stuff was to be more interested in the hyper-responsives. However, I decided not to survey people, but to engage them in PM immediately. Not so I can sell them anything, but so I can figure out what people are stuck on, and how I can help them get unstuck. I also want to help people immediately, and not assume I know what help they need.

I'll move to the surveys in good time, especially when I run Google Ads campaigns to opt-in pages. Currently I'm "doing things that don't scale".

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 3, 2017
USA

I was recommended this book to help me with building my Facebook communities. I'll be checking it out soon.

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I actually listened to this call based on your recommendation in our email conversation. Thanks for sharing!

The main takeaway for me is that nothing really matters unless you start helping a real person. No fancy websites, funnels or tripwires, just plain old helping fellow humans with their pain points. After that, the rest will follow automatically. It's pretty similar to what MJ refers to as a productcracy.

Also, the part about short vs long responses in surveys is interesting. I have conducted some surveys in the past in the health niche but never really made the connection. Looking back, the people with the longer responses definitely had bigger unsolved problems.

++++

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I think the name of the thread might be deterring people.

I may change it to “Who have you helped?”

For those who’ve listened, do you think that makes sense, or do you have a better suggestion?

That's a good name I think yes.

Executing this as we speak I'll update my progress thread tomorrow for y'all on the inside.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
That’s for taking the time to write this up. Rep+
Here’s one to think about:
Instead of “what have I got to lose?” ... how about “what’s the best that can happen?”.
Good one! Glass half full approach :)

WealthyMarketer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Dec 28, 2018
Thanks for pointing me towards this audio Andy! I just spent the past few hours answering questions on Quora (and hopefully helping people too!) and I will continue to do so.

Lavern Muller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 5, 2019
Florida, USA
Giving Value for free, who have you helped? was foreign.

Not that it hasn't been said here many times but it's more the fact that entrepreneurship and starting a business is foreign to me as a whole. So i guess I have just been conditioned to think money first.

Even when you said the other day to cook someone a nice tasty lunch, i new what you where saying but at the same time thinking is this even gonna work? who does work for no money?

I guess it's just a mindset change i am going through, never had to think in this way before if that makes sense.
Really appreciating! I mean who cares, everyone wants to earn money and nobody is interested in helping someone without any benefit.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

RockinRA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 13, 2021
I had a chat with Tony who describes how:
  • One simple question got him unstuck.
  • He's only been on Quora for 30 days helping people.
  • He's only posted 29 times but is now top ranked for his subject matter.
  • His bio sends people to a survey where he asks opened ended questions (as per the Ask book by Ryan Levesque).
  • He's had 300 surveys and email addresses.
  • He's done 5 free 30 minute coaching calls.
  • One free coaching call converted on the spot to a $400 coaching package.
  • His advice to people who want to start by building a website and autoresponder series.
What he's done is such a short space of time is inspiring.

I spent over 2 hours personally chopping this call down to only 25 minutes so it's no fluff and actionable. Do yourself a favour and give it a listen.

Well done @arobinson04

> Click here to access the recording <

What were your takeaways?

What will you do differently going forward?

(For other recordings click HERE.)

This is great Thank you for directing me here.
Cheers!
RA

RockinRA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 13, 2021
Good to hear.

What’s your takeaways?

Mainly I have to "Just do it"... as that famous slogan goes, help people (which I have been doing but will do more of now) and in helping them learn what their industry needs also, if they ask for more help - I can start charging them for more in-depth help. Spot on advice. Cheers!

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
This is great. Thanks Andy, very valuable.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm not sure yet but I'm in the groups helping people and I've had 5 Zoom calls already. 2 more scheduled this week.

I'm just helping people set up their Google Ads the right way and I'm not asking anything about hiring me.

Should I be mentioning something about hiring me? Or will they feel obligated to help me out down the line?

One girl I helped in the UK is getting great results. She's always messaging me asking about this and about that but she's getting click's and calls.
It’s great you’re getting traction helping folks. Be careful of those who might be takers.

You could say some space has cleared up in your calendar and ask if they know anyone who might want help with their campaigns?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It’s great you’re getting traction helping folks. Be careful of those who might be takers.

You could say some space has cleared up in your calendar and ask if they know anyone who might want help with their campaigns?

Yeah I need to start saying something at the end of the call like if you feel that you stilll need help with this then I do run Google Ads for local businesses or if you know anyone who needs help please pass on my information.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
That could work. I think it’s a case of trying different angles to see what works and you’re comfortable with. Asking if they know someone who needs help us a good angle as they’re not

My client roster is normally pretty full so I don’t bring up them hiring me in the call unless they do first.

I do say I’ll send a quick email to summarise what we went through, and/or list links to articles or videos that go into more detail.

That email helps me later to remember what was discussed, and sometimes people circle back or refer people on years later.

It’s also opened a dialogue where they can continue if they want, and possibly ask about rates etc without doing it on a call.

I'm starting to notice that a lot of people want help but as soon as I mention a Zoom video call they get turned off.

There's no other way for me to show people how to set them up the way you teach other than a screen share.

How do you think I can get around this barrier?

I've found a pretty good technique for cold emailing. Find people who are doing Google ads but doing them all wrong. Then send them a short email explaining what they're doing wrong. I sent out about 20 emails and got 3 replies but again they don't want to jump on a Zoom call.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm starting to notice that a lot of people want help but as soon as I mention a Zoom video call they get turned off.

There's no other way for me to show people how to set them up the way you teach other than a screen share.

How do you think I can get around this barrier?

I've found a pretty good technique for cold emailing. Find people who are doing Google ads but doing them all wrong. Then send them a short email explaining what they're doing wrong. I sent out about 20 emails and got 3 replies but again they don't want to jump on a Zoom call.
I typically don’t cold email folks so take with a pinch of salt.

If I was to send a quick note to people who I saw had poor Google Ads then I’d probably do the following and see how it goes:

Make the email very short.

Give a tip.

Explain there’s more tips in the short video below.

Link to a short Loom video of me reviewing their ad and giving a few tips.

At the end of the video throw in that I’d be happy to hop on a quick call and look over their shoulder at their screen.

I’d know if the email was opened, and I’d know if the video was opened.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.