The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1/12th of a year at a time - a progress thread

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe create a new progress thread specifically about dog training, and put it into the title?

I'm sure lots of forum members have dogs and would love to follow, engage, and support you in that thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 19, 2024
I have a dog, and he has never been trained by a professional, I "trained" him myself from Youtube videos when I was 25 and stupid. In the house he is best dog ever, until someone comes over, then he becomes annoying until everyone acknowledges his little royal a$$. When I walk him he is fine until some specific dogs come over, then he is a proper idiot, starts barking and everything. When I let him off the leash in the nature he's a cool little dog. Obviously I'm responsible for not training him properly, but that leaves me with following thoughts about the subject:
- It's not really dog training, is it? It's owner training, and that then helps the dogs? If I knew how to calm him down in those specific instances, he would act better
- Since I live in a small city, I don't have a proper person to hire to teach me. There are some popup training classes when people come from other cities, but I always miss the signup date since they only post it on social media, which I don't use
- Even if I knew everything about training the dogs, which I don't, people in my house know even less.
- He's fine 98% time, but that 2% of time he is annoying AF. Which makes me want to solve problem, but not enough to commit time to travel to fix it
- When I lived in the capital of my country, most dogs I came across were properly trained and listened to their owners. But here, in a small city, almost none do.
- Situations in which he behaves the worst, are the hardest for me to replicate and control variables.

I don't know is this useful, but I wish you all the best on your journey with that.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That local dog trainer didn't get back to us.

My wife's friend has a niece who does dog training. We messaged her and she's fully booked till end of May for home visits. She offered half price where we email her what's going on and she replies via email. We snap paid the €50.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Maybe create a new progress thread
Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
It's not really dog training, is it? It's owner training, and that then helps the dogs? If I knew how to calm him down in those specific instances, he would act better
A lot of people make comments similar to this. It's not really about who is being trained, it's more that you and your dog are learning together to achieve the same goal - living peacefully together where you both get more or less what you want and need.

I don't have a proper person to hire to teach me.
Have you looked for virtual dog trainers? I've done it once with decent success, and I have seen/heard of a few others who offer virtual services.

people in my house know even less
It is very important that everyone in the house are on the same page.

most dogs I came across were properly trained and listened to their owners. But here, in a small city, almost none do.
This is an issue almost anywhere, and it's really the fault of the owners.

Situations in which he behaves the worst, are the hardest for me to replicate and control variables.
This can be good or bad. It means that he's not in those stressful situations often, which is good. It's bad also because it's harder to get to the root cause of what's triggering him. But, perhaps there are smaller, more subtle clues in your day-to-day life that lead up to him acting out?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
That local dog trainer didn't get back to us.

My wife's friend has a niece who does dog training. We messaged her and she's fully booked till end of May for home visits. She offered half price where we email her what's going on and she replies via email. We snap paid the €50.
Seems maybe that local trainer is struggling through a period of growth? Too many calls, not enough time or employees yet to help?

That's a great example of word of mouth advertising! Also, that's a neat work-around to offer email support at a discount when her in-person availability is booked. I'll keep that one in mind.

Thanks for sharing!

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 19, 2024
A lot of people make comments similar to this. It's not really about who is being trained, it's more that you and your dog are learning together to achieve the same goal - living peacefully together where you both get more or less what you want and need.

Have you looked for virtual dog trainers? I've done it once with decent success, and I have seen/heard of a few others who offer virtual services.

It is very important that everyone in the house are on the same page.

This is an issue almost anywhere, and it's really the fault of the owners.

This can be good or bad. It means that he's not in those stressful situations often, which is good. It's bad also because it's harder to get to the root cause of what's triggering him. But, perhaps there are smaller, more subtle clues in your day-to-day life that lead up to him acting out?
To be completely honest, I've given up few years ago on fixing it. I've chalked up both problems to my lack of knowledge and that it's good enough for a rescue dog that was in the rain for a a few months. I've watched a decent amount of videos and read some books, but I've never figured out a proper way to train him to fix those 2 issues. And spending 4,5 hours each day on walking and training is simply unrealistic. So whenever someone comes in the house they have to give him a belly rub and a treat and then he calms down. I take him on longer walks around 23:00 in the night, so there are fewer people and then he's calm the whole way. Anyway, I'm writing this because it might be useful to you as customer research, or maybe it's useless, I don't know. If you ever end up doing something virtual like an ebook or videos or something, feel free to send me a link.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
To be completely honest, I've given up few years ago on fixing it. I've chalked up both problems to my lack of knowledge and that it's good enough for a rescue dog that was in the rain for a a few months. I've watched a decent amount of videos and read some books, but I've never figured out a proper way to train him to fix those 2 issues. And spending 4,5 hours each day on walking and training is simply unrealistic. So whenever someone comes in the house they have to give him a belly rub and a treat and then he calms down. I take him on longer walks around 23:00 in the night, so there are fewer people and then he's calm the whole way. Anyway, I'm writing this because it might be useful to you as customer research, or maybe it's useless, I don't know. If you ever end up doing something virtual like an ebook or videos or something, feel free to send me a link.
I understand. I'm not going to try to sell you anything, but as a consumer, what would it take you to see or hear to want to revisit the issues? To try again? Or is there nothing that would sway you?

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 19, 2024
I understand. I'm not going to try to sell you anything, but as a consumer, what would it take you to see or hear to want to revisit the issues? To try again? Or is there nothing that would sway you?
Some kind of proof and example that your way works and if I invest my time I will get behaviors I want from my dog. I don't want to hear any of the beginner advice such as:
- make sure to exercise him before training
- positive reinforcement only
- use tasty treats
- control variables around the behavior
- break behavior you want into simple steps
- any Cesar Milan leader of the pack BS

I want to see or hear specific examples how you fixed some problematic behavior.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.