The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$3000 within 30 Days. How would you do it?

Royael

Student of Life
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 22, 2014
I read a very interesting book today, by Jim F. Straw. Great business man who in my opinion has really really valuable advice, which is sadly undervalued. Only very few people know him, but I think he has a good fastlane mindset.

Anyways, he came up with a brilliant solution to that question above. Let me quote the beginning of that book.

Being an “idea man,” I have always loved a challenge. But, a young man once presented me with a challenge that almost proved to be my undoing.
The young man; a friend of a friend, came to see me in my office. Our mutual friend had told him that, if anyone could help him solve his problem, I probably could. — After introducing himself, and seating himself in front of my desk with a hot cup of coffee, the young man voiced his problem.
He was out of work. The company he had worked for had closed its doors, and he hadn’t worked for them long enough to be eligible for Unemployment Benefits. His total bankroll was only $10. And, he needed desperately to raise $1,000 within 30 days to pay-off some bills, while he continued looking for a job.
At first, I thought the problem was completely and totally impossible to solve. But, the young man was so sincere, I decided to accept the challenge and see if I could come-up with a solution.
It took me 3 days of intensive thought to come-up with the solution — but — within 30 days, the young man had raised over $1,600; instead of the $1,000 he needed. And, he was well on his way to raising $2,000 for the next month. — I really couldn’t believe my solution to his problem had worked that well.
When I first began considering this young man’s problem, I laid it out this way: “I have to turn almost nothing ($10) into something ($1,000) within 30 days. How would I do it, if I were in this young man’s shoes?”
Then, I added the “basic ingredient” of ALL business: “I have to sell something to someone.” (Whether you want to accept it or not, that IS the only ingredient necessary to having a business.) But, where could I find something that would cost less than $10 and sell for $1,000. — My head kept saying, “it can’t be done,” but my ego kept saying, “I’ll find a way.”

So basically he was asked that question a few years back, the book itself was published 1993. The estimated purchasing power for $1000 at that time was around $3000. I guess with the Internet there are a lot more ways today to solve this, than 25 years ago. But still this requires some thinking...

I think I found a good way, which I will post in a few days here. Also, if anyone is interested in the way that Jim Straw came up with, I can also gladly post it here rephrased in my own words.

So my question to you, how would YOU solve this challenge?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Days 1 -5: learn Wordpress using free online guides.

Days 5 -10: two websites for $100 that you can use as portfolio pieces.

Days 10 -15: Use portfolio pieces to do more 2 websites for $250

Days 15 - 30: Use past 4 websites to do a website every 3 days for $500

Total $3200

You can still apply for work as you build websites.

Plenty of free templates to use and $200 extra to invest back into templates (or just charge more).

Free to email businesses, easy to see what businesses need websites.

Use Skype to call.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

But if I was unemployed, and without a business, then here's what I'd do:

I'd go to every single contractor's office in the city. I'd offer my physical labor for $15 an hour - under market value.

Construction workers in Chicago average 10 hours a day.

So 10 hours x $15 an hour x [30 days x (5/7) - 1 day looking for work] = $3,064.

Problem solved.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Gambling on some options, had some nice return on a gopro call that expired today.

But I guess that's too easy and risky.

I'd probably do the same as Fox would do. Creating from scratch is the easiest, investing in stuff and selling comes with more risk.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
We all will have a different answer because we all have different experiences.

In my experience, I know that I can make a post on Facebook or Craigslist and get a job in the mechanic business. That is a skill set I have and will work anywhere there are vehicles. I also already have the initial cost of tools covered as well.

I can charge $300-500 to do brakes on a car. I can do 4 brake jobs from 8 am to 5 pm.
That's $1200-2000 in a day.

Of course that's depending on clients. Most people are sketched out by indie mechs. Or want a hell of a discount.

I know I'll be able to get ahead with what I know. Situation depending.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

But if I was unemployed, and without a business, then here's what I'd do:

I'd go to every single contractor's office in the city. I'd offer my physical labor for $15 an hour - under market value.

Construction workers in Chicago average 10 hours a day.

So 10 hours x $15 an hour x [30 days x (5/7) - 1 day looking for work] = $3,064.

Problem solved.

This is the second time I've seen you refer to getting a construction job for decent employment money. Good advice.

@Thiago Machado $3,000 in a month? Get a sales job with a fast sales cycle. $3,000 per month in 30 days problem: solved.

If @welshmin or @coreydean start making $3,000 a month in a month, they could probably both quit their jobs, work in sales full-time, and work on scaling.

@ChasingPaper is one of the realest young hustlers on this site. I know the guy makes racks on numerous "sales" type situations.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
I read a very interesting book today, by Jim F. Straw. Great business man who in my opinion has really really valuable advice, which is sadly undervalued. Only very few people know him, but I think he has a good fastlane mindset.

Anyways, he came up with a brilliant solution to that question above. Let me quote the beginning of that book.

So basically he was asked that question a few years back, the book itself was published 1993. The estimated purchasing power for $1000 at that time was around $3000. I guess with the Internet there are a lot more ways today to solve this, than 25 years ago. But still this requires some thinking...

I think I found a good way, which I will post in a few days here. Also, if anyone is interested in the way that Jim Straw came up with, I can also gladly post it here rephrased in my own words.

Couple thoughts about this situation:

His employer went out of business? Sounds like there's going to be an inventory clearance....may be able to flip that quick on consignment? What about the customer lists, IP, etc....maybe it was just being run poorly and there's value there that could be turned around.

Hustling's always an option (Craigslist, Uber, another JOB)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd sell a service based on skills I had and what people would pay for.

I'd start with people who I already know, focusing on people who have already bought from me in the past.

I'd start by emailing them all telling them "Some time has freed up in my calendar. Do you need any help with XYZ, and do you know anyone who else who needs XYZ and who might be a good fit?"

Follow up by phone/Skype too.

Meet people for coffee if possible, especially if they can subcontract work to me from a portfolio of clients they already have.

I prefer B2B personally, but beggars can't be choosers.

Given the skillset I currently have is lead generation using AdWords paid search, I'd start by selling that service.

In our Skype call I'd offer to do a free initial audit there and then. I'd look over their shoulder while they navigate their account.

I'd show them where they are losing money, and how they could stem the bleed.

I'd also show them how they could generate more leads, if I could see a way of course.

At the end of the call they're free to engage me to do the work I've identified, or they can do it themselves.

I'd ask for referrals - people they know who're using AdWords that they think I could help. I'd ask them to introduce me, preferably by phone, or by email failing that.

I'd maybe charge a few hundred dollars for a deeper audit if the initial audit justified it.

Or if they wanted to engaged there and then, I'd suggest something like $1,000 for the first week of work, then $500 per week thereafter.

If they're really small, then maybe I'd suggest something like $1,000 for the first month of work, then $500 per month thereafter.

I wouldn't tie them into a contract, but I'd take payment in advance and ideally get them to complete a recurring payment (maybe PayPal?). I do not want to spend time chasing weekly invoices.

Longer term:

Scale by word of mouth referrals (not cold "traffic" to some website).

Start creating processes and building a team to implement them.

Stop focusing on doing the work, and start focusing on getting the work.

Start offering more services to current clients (Facebook advertising? Landing page creation? Video marketing?)

Really long term:

Build relationships with clients and enter into JVs with them.

Use the team I've built, and knowledge gained in client verticals, to build lead gen businesses.

Build brands I own instead of brands my clients own.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
Cold call selling mobile responsive websites, get 50% upfront, farm out the work to a qualified team that you'll round up. (dev, designer, copywriter), give or take.

Set a quota for yourself, lets say 100 dials a day and segment your list of businesses by revenue, # of employees, preferred industry?

Practice on the small fish...guys doing under $500k a year or something...folks who you think won't be able to pay.

Once you blasted past the nervousness and rejection, start working on the more ideal prospects?

Just brainstorming.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Bookmarking this thread in Evernote cuz its AWESOME.

I am not making $1000 a month even now, so although I know A LOT of methods by reading about it I am not talking.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
This is the second time I've seen you refer to getting a construction job for decent employment money. Good advice.

@Thiago Machado $3,000 in a month? Get a sales job with a fast sales cycle. $3,000 per month in 30 days problem: solved.

If @welshmin or @coreydean start making $3,000 a month in a month, they could probably both quit their jobs, work in sales full-time, and work on scaling.

@ChasingPaper is one of the realest young hustlers on this site. I know the guy makes racks on numerous "sales" type situations.

Cheers for the shout out man, that's the goal.

200 - 300 phone calls a day selling websites to businesses, I don't even need to close, just get a hot referral to the sales guys. Easy to farm.

Currently, my struggle is finding qualified leads to increase the odds. I had a suggestion to find businesses who have recently been created or have registered domain names recently. Need to figure out how.

So, average website sale is about $900, I receive 30%, so $270 per successful sale. Sometimes more sometimes less.
That means I only need to sell 11~ websites. 11 relatively low price sales in 30 days. Who couldn't do that?

Also, working on up-sells which would be contracted out - SEO, SEM, Adwords, Socal Media, etc. But that's a longer cycle than 30 days.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

1. List one of my 33 apps on flippa or fliptopia.
2. Email owners of other apps in the same niche saying I have an app with 100,000 installs.
3. Offer them a discount for being the first to act.

Thanks for the exercise...but I have a feeling that would bring in a lot more than $3,000 :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Also, working on up-sells which would be contracted out - SEO, SEM, Adwords, Socal Media, etc. But that's a longer cycle than 30 days.
I'm curious... why do you say it's a longer cycle than 30 days?

I've been able to sign up businesses on the spot once I have them on a Skype call to do a look-over-their-shoulder audit and show them their bleeding neck. Sometimes they ask me at the end of the call to send an invoice, and pay it within 10 minutes - so I can stem the bleed asap.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I'm curious... why do you say it's a longer cycle than 30 days?

I've been able to sign up businesses on the spot once I have them on a Skype call to do a look-over-their-shoulder audit and show them their bleeding neck. Sometimes they ask me at the end of the call to send an invoice, and pay it within 10 minutes - so I can stem the bleed asap.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

The reason being it would be an upsell on websites sold. I don't sell the websites only the referrals. So the sales team has to close before I can add other options. My thinking is to follow up a month after the sale closes to ensure the website is running smoothly, increase relationship with the client and then offer add-ons.

I suppose I could work in that while dialing clients, if I find ones who already have a website that I could then jump straight to the other items?
Actually that's a really really good idea. Seems obvious now! I'll re-write the script so that there is a fork between needs website / has website and then flow from there. No need to waste a call looking for only one objective!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The reason being it would be an upsell on websites sold. I don't sell the websites only the referrals. So the sales team has to close before I can add other options. My thinking is to follow up a month after the sale closes to ensure the website is running smoothly, increase relationship with the client and then offer add-ons.

I suppose I could work in that while dialing clients, if I find ones who already have a website that I could then jump straight to the other items?
Actually that's a really really good idea. Seems obvious now! I'll re-write the script so that there is a fork between needs website / has website and then flow from there. No need to waste a call looking for only one objective!
(Sorry if derailing the thread.)

Here's my thinking... businesses don't need a website, they need sales.

Most business want more leads, sales, revenue, and profit.

A website is just a particular cog in the wheel. It may not even be needed for a business to generate more leads and sales.

Google makes over $100m a day from businesses spending money on AdWords. That's a pretty big cashflow for me to attach myself to.

And businesses who are already putting their hand in their pocket to generate leads are pretty well qualified prospects for my services.

Especially if they have a bleeding neck!

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
(Sorry if derailing the thread.)

Here's my thinking... businesses don't need a website, they need sales.

Most business want more leads, sales, revenue, and profit.

A website is just a particular cog in the wheel. It may not even be needed for a business to generate more leads and sales.

Google makes over $100m a day from businesses spending money on AdWords. That's a pretty big cashflow for me to attach myself to.

And businesses who are already putting their hand in their pocket to generate leads are pretty well qualified prospects for my services.

Especially if they have a bleeding neck!

Absolutely, I am beginning to see the value in this, thank you.

My thinking was that the website would generate sales, but perhaps that is not always the case. If it's a local restaurant or niche shop, I think it absolutely would. But perhaps simple adwords on it's own would be enough for say a local tradie or a hair salon?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Absolutely, I am beginning to see the value in this, thank you.

My thinking was that the website would generate sales, but perhaps that is not always the case. If it's a local restaurant or niche shop, I think it absolutely would. But perhaps simple adwords on it's own would be enough for say a local tradie or a hair salon?
Check out the local lead gen link in my signature...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
These types of post don't make much sense to me because the answers are so specific to each person. It's not like you can read Andy's answer and go out and do the same thing. We all have different skill sets. I guess I would offer to mentor 2 people, and find 1 product each, that is non AMZ seller competitive to sell on Amazon for $1500 per person.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
These types of post don't make much sense to me because the answers are so specific to each person. It's not like you can read Andy's answer and go out and do the same thing. We all have different skill sets. I guess I would offer to mentor 2 people, and find 1 product each, that is non AMZ seller competitive to sell on Amazon for $1500 per person.
Yeah, I think that's what comes out of these types of threads ... it's easier if you have skills and experience.

So go get some. :)

Joshua Navarro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 17, 2015
Are you you serious about doing this? I would happily pay that for mentorship from you.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
As part of my grinding phase to fund my ecommerce, I leverage my experience and connections as an expert in the competitive Tkd world in 4 ways:

1.Hosting seminars for 30-50 athletes for $60-$100 a person. Usually it comes out to be between 2k-4k after expenses.

2. Teach private lessons on Sunday's. 10 lessons a week is certainly within my ability to do so over a weekend.

3. I could work for the leading electronic scoring system company for 30+ days as a hardware engineer.

4. Teach strength and conditioning class over the course of the month for a flat rate.

It certainly takes a lot of time and commitment, but certainly within reach.

D

Deleted35442

Yea yea, getting a job is well and all. I take it most here aren't complacent with that or you wouldn't be here (well almost everyone). You know the thing with a job? You negotiate once on how much you sell yourself year-after-year. You get predictable checks weekly or bi-weekly checks, and maybe, just maybe ask for a raise 1-2 years? More? I'm going off topic. Let's keep this on point: $3k in one month. Or even if you want to go beyond that.

Here's what you do:

If I was WORKING not doing a Fastlane pursuit I'd pick my city as the place to do it: Manhattan. I'd post 100 random job skills on Craigslist and work every single day 16+ hours, 7 days a week. I'd never eat out. I'd live cheap. Murray Hill in the Bronx. Flushing in Queens. East Brooklyn. I don't care. I'd walk dogs. 4-6 dogs an hour, $20/dog, 7 days a week - I could make $3000+. I'd buy some 2012 or better Sedan and drive for Uber X, Lyft. I'd go for the most optimal hours till I can afford an Escalade, then get someone else to drive the Sedan. I'd re-invest in gentrifying neighborhoods witnessing a budding demand on Airbnb, place them all there. No coffee, no fun, no food. Only the essentials. I'd re-invest every penny I have strictly into cash-flowing assets. By 24 months I'd be a millionaire.

For all you guys sweating it over writing other peoples copy on Upwork. Try the above instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
Real Estate Mentoring. Specifically Wholesaling.

I've done this several times and still continue to in order to make my self employed living.
I find someone interested in real estate investing and has little to no experience, my favorite are the ones that suffer from analysis paralysis. Because they have much of the knowledge, they just need someone to come in and REINFORCE it and help them pull the trigger in the right direction.

I charge $2500-$3000 up front so they have skin in the game, show they're committed, and also because I invest a bunch of time up-front..
I help them get their basics set up like phones, email, marketing, organization, sales script, etc.. show them where to spend marketing dollars.
Then I help them learn the sales script by 3 way calling potential homeowners interested in selling. I act as a partner, because I am.
We 50/50 split the profit from the first property sale. Which is usually $1500-$6000 at closing. They can continue to split deals with me and have my support, or they can go their own way because after the first sale they've already got contracts, seen the process, phones, marketing, email, everything they need. But some people like having a shoulder to lean on, and I happily make 50% of their deals and do all I can to help them succeed.

To date I have a 100% success rate with my students.. on average it takes them 48 days to get their first real estate check.

Past profit splits (my half). One of my students is in the pics cashing her first check.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6dws2g79f8l1ft/AABauplmQRAO0wzzwKyC8Yzxa?dl=0

Last edited:

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I find this interesting to think about.

Generating $3000 a month from virtually nothing is really hard (the process) and it really isn't (once you're making it).

I sell a service that basically boils down to me selling myself every month and I've been hitting the $3000 mark/month easily.

So if I were to come here, I'd say sell 24 hours of my time for $129/hour (which is what I charge) and I'd have a little over $3000 for the month.

The problem is, the process has been forgotten. What about all those hours spent building a reputable business, hunting for more business, retaining repeat customers.

It's much easier to say, if I sell X this many times this month, I'll make $3000/month than really going through all the steps necessary to get there. I think a lot of people come up short because they are not prepared for the process or can't endure it.

That said, some people pick things up easily, get lucky, or make a wise investment that winds up bringing some fast success. I think that's a lot rarer than what really goes on with someone going from nothing to something.

And let’s take it a step further, because the process I would like to learn now is how to make that $3000 while no longer selling my time. This is when you’re really winning.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
$3000 in a month?
I think anyone could panhandle that much in a month if they worked the right area, or had a decent spiel but who would really consider that?

Disregarding any prior skill sets I think I would look into selling a tangible item that tugs on the heart strings or emotions.

Personally, I would connect with a wholesale florist and get ready for Mothers Day on May 8th. I would scope 2 or 3 locations such as a vacant gas station or vacant corner lot in a high traffic area with good visibility and access for cars to pull over and park. I'd set up a couple signs nearby "Mothers Day Flowers!" and I'd sell everything 3X markup minimum. If one could find someone trustworthy, one could have several locations selling.

With the profits from Mothers Day, I'd buy vegetable starter plants, or flower starts, and I'd head to a local farmers market, swap meet or even back to the vacant gas station. When fruit and vegetables were in season, I'd sell those.

Watermelons? yep
Cantaloupes? yessiree!
Need tomato plants? 3/$1, 2"' containers... how many you want???

Yes, it would take a few dollars to start it, but I'd either find someone to back me or sign over the title to my car and make it happen.

I know something like this could be done because I had tried this one time by going to a watermelon farm and I bought a trailer load full of watermelons and pulled it across the state to a large metropolitan area. I bought the melons for $1 each and sold them for $5. Split into two locations to sell them and hustled all 500 of them in less than a week...

You just gotta want it.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Also, if anyone is interested in the way that Jim Straw came up with, I can also gladly post it here rephrased in my own words.

What was his answer?

My answer

I would probably sell a training on one of my skills, could be either Digital Marketing, Amazon Publishing, E-commerce etc.

Get a sales page going with my track records, portfolio and video testimonials of people I've helped and their results.

Put a great call to action with a free pdf step by step guide as a lead magnet also I'll add my private phone number, whatsapp and skype at the bottom of sales page in case any one wants to call in.

Add up over 500 CEO connections on linkedIn.

Export their emails to an excel sheet.

Do a Bcc broadcast alerting them of my sales page and giving them an option to opt-in for themselves into my autoresponder

Create an 8 days series emails for people that don't convert immediately.

reach out to everyone within my network, forums, blogs etc.

Sell the training for $250

Get 20 people to attend.

Minus cost of the hall, tea break, feeding etc. I should make above $3000

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I really enjoyed that quote. Just waiting on the book to arrive

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.