The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

About building Mobile Applications

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
There have been a couple of good questions and comments about building mobile applications.

Disclaimers:
  • I have been working with mobile apps for the past 2.5 years only.
  • I have only work building apps for customers who pay for the app and give it for free to their clients.
  • Again, I have not worked developing an app that we sell directly to the public.

With that in mind, here are some of the things I've learned about this, from the business perspective:
  • iPhone users are OK paying for quality apps. Android users? No way. They think it is their right to get everything for free. Of course there are exceptions, but keep this in mind when working your strategy.
  • An app, by itself, is usually no big deal. But successful apps are really those that complement a service. For example, WhatsApp Messenger works great because there is a network and servers behind supporting the cool features. Facebook mobile phone app is just an extension of their "real" service. Socialcam, Pandora, Pinterest, Skype... and on and on... Get the idea? The value is in the backing service and data.
  • Chances are, you won't make millions selling an app. There is only one Angry Birds. They sell it for what, $0.99? The app store takes 30% of that, so you are left with $0.76 per sold copy. How many do you need to sell to make a million?
  • All developers I've met decline offers to "share the revenue" and build the apps for somebody with "a great idea". If it is great, pay them, keep your equity, and move on. It takes a lot of work to build a great app and there are just too many requests these days, so with that demand, most people will rather take the money now than gambling on that idea. Again, there are exceptions, but this has been my experience.
About the technical aspect of it:
  • The Android apps are easier to "get away" with. Google does not check them. Once you are approved, you can simply submit the app and it will be up in a few minutes.
    • As part of this, some crappy developers will build apps that crash your device. Memory leaks can occur easier. Have you noticed those apps that always run? Memory hogs? This is why... no third party quality control.
    • This is also why you find apps that make no sense from the user's perspective, as they don' tcare about human interface guidelines.
  • Apple's App Store is strict. You better check for memory leaks. Make sure you are following the Human Interface Guidelines or it will be rejected. It will take a week or two before your app is available to the public on the store.
  • To develop for the iPhone/iPad you need to learn a new (well, really a very old) programming language. this will take time. Android apps are easier as they are based on Java. Blackberry also uses java. Windows phone is very close to the same .Net apps you may have seen before.
  • Make sure you understand how to call APIs and web services. Like I said before, the value is mostly in the back-end service. Optimize the calls. Your users will hate you and will uninstall your app if it eats up all their data plan.
  • If your app does not use any of the device's capabilities (compass, shake, etc) then go with HTML5.
  • Learn HTML5. I agree with the experts that say this is the future.
  • Learn JavaScript. JQuery mobile. Sencha mobile.
  • Learn CSS3.
A good article to read:
HTML5 or native? Which mobile route to take? - ZDNet

I will try to answer questions based on my limited knowledge.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

damien275x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 18, 2011
As a web developer, I'm bias. I learnt HTML, Javascript, PHP, ASP etc first.. and I just F*cking hate C#, what I do like about web development is that you can create web based applications that run across multiple devices with one set of source. Much better for delivering content, forums, etc. If you want super graphics and stuff, maybe you may want to go native, but with HTML5 that's changing rapidly, too.

I think someone else summed it up to me "If it works.. it works." They're just tools, use the ones you feel comfortable using and are best at.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Question, what about an app like instagram? Is that based off HTML5? Is it just an extension of their website instagram.com?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Question, what about an app like instagram? Is that based off HTML5? Is it just an extension of their website instagram.com?
Not sure about them. I haven't even used their app, so I can't comment on that one...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
It's native. Here's the back-end if one wants to know what takes to support it: Instagram Engineering • What Powers Instagram: Hundreds of Instances, Dozens of Technologies
Thanks for sharing this one.

We are using Amazon's AWS as well, but their scale is simply overwhelming... wow.

I can barely imagine the complexity they deal with, and the scripts they have to run, to maintain everything sync'd.

Thanks again for sharing.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for sharing this one.

We are using Amazon's AWS as well, but their scale is simply overwhelming... wow.

I can barely imagine the complexity they deal with, and the scripts they have to run, to maintain everything sync'd.

Thanks again for sharing.

Yeah, lots of stuff going on behind the scenes...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Facebook apps?

Just about to get started, I will be working on the first one.

The real deal for this app is the fact that it retrieves data from an API that we control, so that is what makes it interesting to me.

I should get started next week, just started reading about their platform and how they want me to use it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.