The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

did you have a mentor in the beginning of your career ?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Spyros12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 8, 2023
hello fasteners!
I really wanted to know if any of you started your fastlane career with the accompany of a mentor.
And secondly how did you manage to meet new people with a similar mindset?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
hello fasteners!
I really wanted to know if any of you started your fastlane career with the accompany of a mentor.
And secondly how did you manage to meet new people with a similar mindset?
Yeah, I bought a course/training program that includes 1:1 meetings.
Was worth the investment.
Paying people to mentor you is a pretty good investment if the mentor is legit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No, books were my mentor.

If you want a mentor, read books and memoirs. There's a treasure trove of them out there.

Sadly, most people really don't want a mentor, they want some coattails to ride.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Most people who genuinely want a mentor, people who would kiss the feet of a person who invested in them, won't work up the courage to ask for help because they don't want to "bother" anyone.

Meanwhile, the best mentors are inundated with requests from inconsiderate simpletons who don't even reply back after a text.

I had a great female mentor for my first career but haven't found one for online pursuits. Finding women mentors is incredibly difficult. It sucks.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
No, Udemy courses were my start. $15 a dolla! I have over 50+ in my account. Started my "Cybersecurity" career with a course named The Complete Cybersecurity Course: Hackers Exposed Volume I. Totally worth it, though.

EDIT: Make that 103

Self study baby!

Last edited:
G

Guest6x3pod4

I put myself out there when I was developing TorkStrap and spent a lot of time with the SBDC (small biz dev. California) There, a nice woman connected me to the inventor of magnet pal because we were so alike. He has been a god send as he's in his 50's and has been at it for a decade where I was a 30 year old construction worker turned inventor!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
No, Udemy courses were my start. $15 a dolla! I have over 50+ in my account. Started my "Cybersecurity" career with a course named The Complete Cybersecurity Course: Hackers Exposed Volume I. Totally worth it, though.

EDIT: Make that 103

Self study baby!
How many of those courses did you finish?

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
I can`t consider myself as a full-blown fastlaner yet, but I have a sound plan and I have kind of a mentor on the first stage of it.

I personally adopted Robert Kyosaki`s classification of income types described in his second book where people are divided into employees, entrepreneurs, businessmen and investors. The difference between entrepreneur and business person being that entrepreneur is selling the value they create themselves and businessmen selling the value created by a system which businessman builds.

I started not so long ago as an entrepreneur, being before that an employee. It`s been 1.5 months that I`ve started a serious entrepreneurial attempt and 22 days by this point (starting from February the 1st) that I dropped my salary and rely solely on entrepreneurship. And that fast success is due to a guy who basically taught me everything from his own entrepreneuship success, shared knowledge and now even gives me some customers.

So yes, I have a mentor, and I learn valuable things like b2b and b2c relationships, bargaining (hell that is important in Israel!), accounting, grassroot marketing and managing a corp. But that is not fastlane. An independent and fully commited professional contractor in Israel in most areas can achieve 4 times median salary, roughly $10-12 thousand a month, but that is a hard cellar achieved with getting rid of almost all the free time with the exception of Shabbat.

As for my fastlane, I am making a prototype of my invention in my free time and there I have:

1. Udemy courses to learn technical stuff
2. Youtube and datasheets to solve step-by-step problems
3. Aliexpress and Alibaba to compare and buy components
4. And the main inspirations - "Invent with me" podcast and this forum, especially an inventor`s meetup I joined two weeks ago for the first time

So far so good. I believe when I have a need for a next mentor, I will find one and I am making sure I am now putting enough effort and skin in the game to look serious when she/he appears.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.