The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I Need A Website To Get A Customer?

Marketing, social media, advertising

th.ri.ll

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 23, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to start doing cold outreach to sell consulting services to small to medium sized organizations that need help managing enterprise software (think Salesforce, Workday, etc) on a monthly basis.

Since I have experience with cold outreach from previous jobs I think I can get a customer pretty fast. However, there needs to be some sort of digital presence for my business which is done through a website. My question is do I need a website or can I get away with just my LI profile or something?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Aug 27, 2022
A fancy website is not necessary in my experience - if your offer is solid and you sound trustworthy in your outreach, very few people will gripe about a website.

If you insist in making one though, set a timer for 15 minutes and whip up a quick landing page on Webflow.

th.ri.ll

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 23, 2021
A website is not necessary in my experience - if your offer is solid and you sound trustworthy in your outreach, very few people will gripe about a website.

If you insist in making one though, set a timer for 15 minutes and whip up a quick landing page on Webflow.
Could I just say something like "in the spirit of transparency I'm relatively new and still building my website?" If they ask. Honesty is the best policy sometimes.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 19, 2023
Could I just say something like "in the spirit of transparency I'm relatively new and still building my website?" If they ask. Honesty is the best policy sometimes.
No. Why would you sell yourself short? Even if it is honest, your statement implies a lack of confidence and domain experience. You'd just be reducing the likelihood of people wanting to work with you off the bat by volunteering information.

Edit: If they ask it would be good to mention qualities like working for yourself. The expectations will not be as great from someone starting out independently. I would not mention that you are new or are still building a website however. It is the wrong impression to give for new clients that you haven't completed your offer.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
All you need to acquire a customer is a method to accept their payment.

In person, check.
In person, cash.
Venmo.
Paypal.
Stripe invoicing.
Other payment services.

Now, as for how do you convince a customer to give you money, that also has shortcuts.

You can post your offer on social media and acquire pre-orders.

If you're local, go on Next Door and say, "Hey community, I'm offering X at $Y, it's a great value because [value]. If you're interested message me at or here via DM -- in the message, you give your payment info.

This is a great validation strategy as well.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
there needs to be some sort of digital presence for my business which is done through a website
Are you sure about that?

Be careful whenever you use the word "need".

do I need a website or can I get away with just my LI profile or something?
I sell digital marketing services, including landing pages.

Check out my website:
https://andyblack.net

And my LinkedIn profile:

Tell me why you think I get business.

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Nov 10, 2019
Dallas, TX
Absolutely get a website. A lot of service providers don't have a website. They use their Facebook or Instagram page as their business profile, which in my opinion doesn't look professional (in some instances).

I can tell you from my experience that you will get many more clients(high-paying ones) by having a website. With a website, you will look like you take your business seriously, you can showcase your services, write an "about me" page, etc.

Also, selling yourself will be much easier with a website. Since you do cold-outreach, you can say " Hi, I offer "X" services and feel like my services will be very beneficial to you. Here is my website if you wish to find more information." Something like that, you know?

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Nov 21, 2016

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Websites like yours are my absolute favorite: clean, simple, and to the point.
Thanks!

Someone said they like how simple the design is but how much useful content there is. He said it's the opposite of all the beautifully designed and gimmicky sites with low value content.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 19, 2023
Absolutely get a website. A lot of service providers don't have a website. They use their Facebook or Instagram page as their business profile, which in my opinion doesn't look professional (in some instances).

I can tell you from my experience that you will get many more clients(high-paying ones) by having a website. With a website, you will look like you take your business seriously, you can showcase your services, write an "about me" page, etc.
Agreed. A website is an investment that will bring greater returns. Though starting out social media sites like Facebook or Instagram are helpful in getting some clients.

I see about a dozen local service businesses with a Facebook page as their website. It doesn't scream professionalism, but seems to work to some extent.

th.ri.ll

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 23, 2021
Thanks for the input guys (especially @Andy Black & @MJ DeMarco)

I just created a new personal LI profile and new business LI profile attached to a professional email. I'll work on creating a simple website like Andy's while I'm conducting cold outreach.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the input guys (especially @Andy Black & @MJ DeMarco)

I just created a new personal LI profile and new business LI profile attached to a professional email. I'll work on creating a simple website like Andy's while I'm conducting cold outreach.
You could use Linktr.ee or Carrd.co for a simple site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.