The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FASTLANE or SLOWLANE-need some advice

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Hey guys, im always hopping around with different ideas and ways to make money but i have a passion for being independent, even since i was really young. I can not imagine working for someone else, i know that being on different paths is a terrible way to go about the fastlane, knowing one thing 100% is better than understanding alittle bit about everything.

Here's my question:
Im about to graduate in one semester from college, i have someone that wants to open up a taco place with me. They will fund all of it, i give them a small percentage of the business. Here is what needs to be done. I must work at a place for 6 months, find out where the food is coming from, how its cooked, evaluate the business 100%, and then open one up in a new location. Im am very good at managing things and people, I in no way have dreams to work at a taco place, but i figure if i do this and then open one up months later i could walk away after a year or 2 and manage employees. Will this hurt my fastlane or speed me into it. Remember i need a steady cash flow before i can truly be an entrepreneur, so right out of school i would start my own place, and if it does well in about 2 years things should be pretty self ran and i can invest money into new projects. I figure its this or go job hunting which i just can't do. I have alot of knowledge in business and real estate, i love both.

I am confident i can run it after learning from the other place. Also, the food is excellent, everyone talks about how good it is. Thank you guys, big decision for me, appreciate any advice. Start up will be about 75k( Have additional capital to pay bills for 12 mo. in case not profiting), a small place, in a populated area, $7-10 per person average, seating for 15, big on delivery. The business model i am looking to emulate is very successful, i know this for a fact, i feel i can do it alot better, marketing, menu, Branding especially. The food is simple, id say 80 percent is bought out of a box or bag and cooked(no difficult foods to just cook, chicken, beef, salsa, gauc, etc... The business menu and model seems so easy to emulate and improve, the rising Hispanic rate i feel this would be such a good direction for me, plus Caucasian population has fallen in love with Mexican food. I know that in the future a business will have to be faceless, demand will not be with Caucasian consumers, which means other races will not use my face to face services as much(sorry but it is true), so a faceless company would be easier to serve a larger consumer base. Thank you again everyone

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
I think this is a ridiculous question, because only YOU can really know if it will be successful and/or help you into the Fastlane.

But, I will give my opinion anyway!

I say, go for it. You will learn a lot and I can bet you will be that much closer to either thinking of a Fastlane business that you can do on the side OR developing the business into something Fastlane.

Just don't get so focused on it and become unconscious of other opportunities that will arise. And know you always have a choice.

:urock2:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Sky is the limit. Like CoM, go with the flow and whereever life takes you. Always keep your eyes open for opportunities that come your way.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As a stand alone taco joint, It isn't pure Fastlane but it is a start simply because you have transfered income from hours to units. (# of tacos sold!)

However, if you have ONE successful taco stand, that is a WIN. Aside from the learning involved, you can replicate (FRANCHISE or CHAIN) it and make it VERY Fastlane. In other words, to start it might not be big time "fastlane" but you can make "go Fastlane" if you systematize it and then replicate it.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
The education you receive in the first 6 months will astound you... and if business sucks you won't starve.

Go for it.

PS> Nobody makes a decent taco, they taste like cardboard and the hot sauce is not hot. Make a taco that burns you today ...and tomorrow and I will eat there.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Thank you for the advice, yeah not fastlane, It is still very possible to net 100 150k at a place like this after some years,but its slowlane, I'm young and have made all money on my own but all slowlane. I'm tired of working hard and making $1 or 100 and hour, its just not smart. I'm torn on what to do, I'm getting into website building right now and I know its going to work, everyone keeps telling me that its a dream, you do on the side if it works it works, its not a job (I know screw them) just thinking if I did not take this opp out of school I'm going to be working on my million dollar website bringing in $0 hahah. Bobo if I go through with it ill leave some burning hot sauce on the table marked CAUTION-DO NOT TOUCH,see I'm thinking already

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Attaboy

Made a salsa out of tabasco, jalapeno, habenero and green chiles all from my own garden Saturday, put it on a fajita and it made my eyeballs sweat. Just thinkin out loud but if I were you I'd go with some gimmicky sauces, make customers sign a release if they want the hot one.

...make the hot one free, charge $25 for a glass of milk

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Bobo, always has the answers hahaha. I am obsessed with differentiation and being systematic in these businesses. I would never end up doing what everyone else does. They will come in and get the same thing every time and i will not have to be there in order for that to happen. I was thinking when it first opens after a few weeks until everything is running smooth, call the news crew over and advertise the grand opening, first 100 or 200 tacos free, something like that, this is an excellent strategy in my mind, i will be able to let the customers know the service delivers as well, and there are many rich families dying to order $90 worth of food for the family on a friday, but no mexican aval around here for delivery, closest decent one is 20 miles away, huge demand, growing population, and people wanting to give there money away for food! As far as the investor, im out there every day trying to make something happen, so i always meet new people, all i do is talk business, and at a young age people find that very strange, i literally talk about nothing else at this point, pretty bad. People start to recognize a drive and passion, determination is more important than anything in the world, some people will believe in your abilities once they know you. The deal is far from 50,50. This investor will never do anything, just own a small portion of the business. So if he makes 20% on his money next year not bad, and when things grow(which he believes they will) his 75k will grow to alot more and he will be getting 20% on that money as years follow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.