The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding right co-founder for the product idea

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

yagya567

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 3, 2022
Greetings everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank MJ for this amazing forum and I am just about 1-2 weeks old in here and I am already able to think clearly on lines of solving problems for greater benefit of community.

I am grateful to Andy Black for his interviews , blogs and replies have been of great help.

After thinking critically and keeping "helping others" parameter as my pole star, I am able to think upon a product idea.

At present, I feel if I could find a reliable co-founder in my quest so that I can expedite the process of development and further streamline product marketing.

I did tried finding few people ( my most reliable trustable people I knew ) in my local network.

But here are the challenges I am facing :
1. They agree and appreciate first & even show great interest but when it comes to committing they avoid calls and meetings.
2. Communication wise, their drive to work extra after 9-5 is missing and on their work done I need to do it again.
3. They are first interested in equity related privileges' first and often discuss it aggressively :( rather than focusing on finding a way to build the product and get our first positive valuable feedback.
4. They offer excuses of having no time and no money to build the product but they always find time for booze and lavish travels.
5. They avoid discussions and may get annoyed if pointed on their criticism.

Now, I don't want to sound as if I am cribbing about others. All these people are very dear to me, but I feel the passion to sacrifice for the cause is missing. To me my goal to build a product to achieve a happy satisfied customer is very important first & foremost.

Reason for me seeking co-founder is 3 fold :
1. Better ideas to build product.
2. Save my time in learning all skills in world, I intend to save my time and divide work.
3. In synergy way, support each other in case we are struggling in achieving our goals.

To summarize, I want to find a genuine, committed individual. I have had good friends , I am confident I will be able to build trust once commitment and intentions to help others are there.

I would be grateful if ways to find a committed co-founder could be shared.

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Greetings everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank MJ for this amazing forum and I am just about 1-2 weeks old in here and I am already able to think clearly on lines of solving problems for greater benefit of community.

I am grateful to Andy Black for his interviews , blogs and replies have been of great help.

After thinking critically and keeping "helping others" parameter as my pole star, I am able to think upon a product idea.

At present, I feel if I could find a reliable co-founder in my quest so that I can expedite the process of development and further streamline product marketing.

I did tried finding few people ( my most reliable trustable people I knew ) in my local network.

1. They agree and appreciate first & even show great interest but when it comes to committing they avoid calls and meetings.
2. Communication wise, their drive to work extra after 9-5 is missing and on their work done I need to do it again.
3. They are first interested in equity related privileges' first and often discuss it aggressively :( rather than focusing on finding a way to build the product and get our first positive valuable feedback.
4. They offer excuses of having no time and no money to build the product but they always find time for booze and lavish travels.

Now, I don't want to sound as if I am cribbing about others. All these people are very dear to me, but I feel the passion to sacrifice for the cause is missing. To me my goal to build a product to achieve a happy satisfied customer is very important first & foremost.

2. Save my time in learning all skills in world, I intend to save my time and divide work.
3. In synergy way, support each other in case we are struggling in achieving our goals.

To summarize, I want to find a genuine, committed individual. I have had good friends , I am confident I will be able to build trust once commitment and intentions to help others are there.

Thank you

I may be wrong, but it kind of feels like there is no compensation at all for the cofounder. If even equity talk between you guys get aggressive, then they are not even sure if they get equity for all their hard work and what they get in return. This probably can be solved with good contracts where contribution means equity, but if you guys are on equal playing field on the value giving, so should you have it.
Obviously there may people you spoke who are not a cofounder material and want to do their 9-5 and be happy. But it is also a big risk for even high value person to sit into same car with you, most of us are not Elon Musk or MJ and have not done a lot of successful businesses. If you are first timer or mild successer, they just don't buy if it is going to work out. At least it has brought me some relevance since there has been people who have offered me co-founder positions, being really greedy with equity even if the company has nothing, no value, even the idea in a lot of cases sucks.

yagya567

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 3, 2022
I may be wrong, but it kind of feels like there is no compensation at all for the cofounder. If even equity talk between you guys get aggressive, then they are not even sure if they get equity for all their hard work and what they get in return. This probably can be solved with good contracts where contribution means equity, but if you guys are on equal playing field on the value giving, so should you have it.
Obviously there may people you spoke who are not a cofounder material and want to do their 9-5 and be happy. But it is also a big risk for even high value person to sit into same car with you, most of us are not Elon Musk or MJ and have not done a lot of successful businesses. If you are first timer or mild successer, they just don't buy if it is going to work out. At least it has brought me some relevance since there has been people who have offered me co-founder positions, being really greedy with equity even if the company has nothing, no value, even the idea in a lot of cases sucks.
I am a first timer, shall I outsource tasks ?

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
I am a first timer, shall I outsource tasks ?
If you can, yes. The tasks you don't want to learn. Starting alone is fine, in some way it is preferable, because you are totally in charge of direction where you want it to go. Also less you have to offer if something gains traction and when you have already something going on, if they want to come aboard, you have to offer them less.

yagya567

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 3, 2022
If you can, yes. The tasks you don't want to learn. Starting alone is fine, in some way it is preferable, because you are totally in charge of direction where you want it to go. Also less you have to offer if something gains traction and when you have already something going on, if they want to come aboard, you have to offer them less.
Thank you so much :)

Tortley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 17, 2022
Greetings everyone,

Thank you
Hello,

I am not sure if it will help you.
But I have been the same way. I have been looking for partner to launch business idea. I launched once with a partner. But the product did not work (actually our collaboration did not work). He is a friend of me. We were working both 9-5 with each different priorities.

Anyway, I change my mind about partnership. I am not against. But I move forward and if I found a partner along the way. I will be open.
But I will not wait for it !
You should do the same !

(and friend and partner is different). My previous partnership did not change how I saw my friend (except I know that we have different work process).

T

yagya567

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 3, 2022
Hello,

I am not sure if it will help you.
But I have been the same way. I have been looking for partner to launch business idea. I launched once with a partner. But the product did not work (actually our collaboration did not work). He is a friend of me. We were working both 9-5 with each different priorities.

Anyway, I change my mind about partnership. I am not against. But I move forward and if I found a partner along the way. I will be open.
But I will not wait for it !
You should do the same !

(and friend and partner is different). My previous partnership did not change how I saw my friend (except I know that we have different work process).

T
Thanks Tortely, since you have been the same way, I am able to correlate your valuable advice .. Thank you so much ..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.