The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Feedback

JED253

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 10, 2023
First off, I need to take accountability. I'm 25% of the way through unscripted after reading fastlane a few months ago. In the book he calls out people like me who read fastlane, make a post or two, and then vanish. And I will be the first to admit that there is more I could have done in the aforementioned months. However, most of that time was filled by working on my mental and physical health and taking online courses on some high value skills like programming, entrepreneurship, and networking.

This post is about how I am still very much dedicated to the unscripted life, but don't feel I have enough expertise to start a business yet. I know that MJ is not a fan of 'someday' thinking and that there will never be a perfect time, but is it wrong to want to be an expert in something before starting a business in it?

I just got a new full time job that will pay 30% more than my last one, which will provide me valuable capital and savings for when I quit for good. I'm also in a year-long master's program for business analytics (please don't lecture me on what I already know about the school system, I'm fully aware of it, and I wouldn't be in this program if it wasn't free for me). A benefit of this program is we have an applied project where we work with clients in the real world, and I plan on using this experience to gain the necessary expertise and discover solvable problems in the field. I've already connected with someone from last year's cohort who successfully did this and is now a founder of his own business. My current plan is to make some sort of software program in the same vein as tableau or azure, but one that fills a more specific niche.

FYI my current line of work (that I will be getting out of with this degree) is accounting, which I do feel could be a good foundation for running a business, but I don't feel that it could be a fastlane business in and of itself.

I'm curious how other members feel about my current line of thinking and if anyone has any advice for me in my situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Nichan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 18, 2023
Stockholm, Sweden
First off, I need to take accountability. I'm 25% of the way through unscripted after reading fastlane a few months ago. In the book he calls out people like me who read fastlane, make a post or two, and then vanish. And I will be the first to admit that there is more I could have done in the aforementioned months. However, most of that time was filled by working on my mental and physical health and taking online courses on some high value skills like programming, entrepreneurship, and networking.

This post is about how I am still very much dedicated to the unscripted life, but don't feel I have enough expertise to start a business yet. I know that MJ is not a fan of 'someday' thinking and that there will never be a perfect time, but is it wrong to want to be an expert in something before starting a business in it?

I just got a new full time job that will pay 30% more than my last one, which will provide me valuable capital and savings for when I quit for good. I'm also in a year-long master's program for business analytics (please don't lecture me on what I already know about the school system, I'm fully aware of it, and I wouldn't be in this program if it wasn't free for me). A benefit of this program is we have an applied project where we work with clients in the real world, and I plan on using this experience to gain the necessary expertise and discover solvable problems in the field. I've already connected with someone from last year's cohort who successfully did this and is now a founder of his own business. My current plan is to make some sort of software program in the same vein as tableau or azure, but one that fills a more specific niche.

FYI my current line of work (that I will be getting out of with this degree) is accounting, which I do feel could be a good foundation for running a business, but I don't feel that it could be a fastlane business in and of itself.

I'm curious how other members feel about my current line of thinking and if anyone has any advice for me in my situation.

I never thought that I would be able to start a company before starting. But I have always had a mindset saying that I can learn what ever I need to learn through the internet. For instance, I taught myself to service vintage mechanical watches through youtube. It's a useless skill in of itself (if you aren't an expert and are aiming towards going professional) but it taught me a lot about precision, attention to detail, patience, the importance of order and systematic thinking. And it got me a beautiful 1967 Grand Seiko humming nicely on my wrist for a bargain since I bought it cheap and barely running.

Just think of what you might want to create/sell, think of how you might need to sell/distribute it and weather its doable. Take it step by step and learn along the way. Don't think of it as having to "Start A Business" just to get started. That might be way to daunting and feel to far out of reach.

You CAN do it, since others have done it in your situation and much, much worse! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.