Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

QUESTION How brick and mortar stores meeting their ends ?

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
69%
I was today in one of the fast foods that is not that much famous , and it was empty all the time I was there, in fact I felt from the way they were preparing my meal they didn't have any customer all that day. I see such restores and restaurants everyday , yet I never see any of them closing their doors, how come they are able to cover all the expenses which usually variy from 5 to 10 k per month plus at least 3 employees there.
Any experience ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
223%
When I worked at Tim Hortons, I heard some back-office chat that our store was losing a ton of money. But the owner's other stores made enough to keep ours afloat. He was betting on the location improving long-term. I think he was correct, since that location is still there today, over a decade later.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
223%
A few years ago I met the owner of a Mexican restaurant. He said they were having a really bad year, but he didn't care, because it was a passion project and his other business (technology) was so successful that he could float the whole restaurant just for fun.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
217%
Retail, especially restaurants, have always had a fair bit of turnover. But as a class of business they still provide value so the successful ones will remain.

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
231%
Bricks and mortar businesses are a failure factory. Market risk, high investment costs, physical overhead, employees, bank loans – a recipe for failure for all but the savviest businessmen.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
447%
The restaurant business is hell for hands-on entrepreneurs. The only way I'd get involved in one is as a silent partner, which is a shame because I always see great opportunities in the space. Managing the day-to-day while giving up your weekends is too high of a price for a venture that tends to scale poorly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
140%
Many restaurants make the majority of their revenue in just 2-3 days of the week. Sometimes even in just a few hours like a Friday/Saturday evening rush.

That's something I never thought of... Very insightful. A local pancake restaurant near me is closed on Monday's & Tuesday's... They are always packed every morning and are only open 6am-1pm..

So open only 5 days a week and only so many hours open each day... Yet over 100 restaurant locations with 100m+ revenue. With what you said sounds smart. Weekends definitely the major revenue point.

Last edited:

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
69%
When I worked at Tim Hortons, I heard some back-office chat that our store was losing a ton of money. But the owner's other stores made enough to keep ours afloat. He was betting on the location improving long-term. I think he was correct, since that location is still there today, over a decade later.
So it seem many of these owners are wealthy in the first place and can bear loss for a couple of years without going bankrupt. good point

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.