The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many hours are enough?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bryce Wolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 15, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am struggling to figure out how much time is enough in terms of working on my business and it kinda messes my mental. I am also not sure if approaching my business with how much time I put into it is a healthy and good way to Interpret work. I still do enjoy an hour of video Games or watching YT and I base that on the amount of time I have worked in a day.

Thanks and I wish all of you who read this a wonderful week!
Christian
I too spend a few hours just chillin at the end of the day. It's good to spend time taking a break from work because if you don't, based on personal experience, you'll burn out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
There's nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with video games. I run a very successful software company and still play games to this day. For reference, I worked a full time job for 8 hours + 2 hours commute and then came home and worked 4-6 hours every night. Did that for 3 years and then my business finally took off. I generally believe we have 4-6 GREAT hours of work in us each day, anything else is fluff. There are days when you have to put in those 12-14 hours but it's rare unless there's a fire or a big product launch.
I'm going to buy an even better Desktop for gaming. Sigh. I miss my old PC sometimes. Duty calls though.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Check out this post from MJ:

Should help you find a daily target which then you can execute.

Mr. Tycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2014
London ,UK
I used to do about 2 hours at a time. 2 hours then an hour of something else. Then another 2 hours. Anything more than 2 and I don’t feel like I’m at the top of my game.
did you used same kind of strategy\ hours breakout at the beginning when you started in your business journey or was it something totally different approach then ?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
did you used same kind of strategy\ hours breakout at the beginning when you started in your business journey or was it something totally different approach then ?
Pretty much the same. I mean you keep working until you realize you aren’t being efficient and take a break.

You shouldn’t be working 4 hours just to get in 4 hours of work. Maybe 2 hours + 1 hour rest and then another hour, gets you better work done than 4 straight hours.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Great question, I recently read an article about two young guys who started the Castore sports brand in the UK, they work from 6.30am to 9.30pm even now when the company is worth millions.

I suppose some brains see it as work and others not, but I guess that depends on the business type. For example let's say I have to copy and paste information into a website contact form over and over again, why does the brain see that as work compared to sitting and watching TV?

Personally I want my business to be the thing that I want to get up and spend all day on, so that when I do take days/hours off and holidays I'm itching to get back to it. Not the other way around where you're dreading waking up in the morning , counting down the hours until Call of Duty/Netflix or days until the weekend or some other event.

I guess a lot of has to do with personality and what you value doing with your time. For some a business is a means to enable them to enjoy other parts of their life. For others, their business is their life.

I think when you've initially launched a business you'll have to put the time in. Again though it depends on the type, you can't clean windows in the dark and as there's only so much energy you have, but if you own a software company and you're looking for clients you could literally sit there and prospect all day sending emails, filling in contact forms etc even with the TV on in the background.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I normally work in 'blocks'. That way i will at least focus for the 1 or 2 hour block on the 'main outcome' or task or thing i need to create.

I like to not focus on hours ... instead focus on a DONE FOR THE DAY list. What are the one or two things that if you got them done, they would transform your business and make everything else go away. That if completed, you could leave immediately (even at 9am) and not feel the least bit guilty. Then go get them done.

Now on caveat ..... in your business, you wear many hats. If you are working as the cashier and need to be at the register 40 hours a week, then that is a required block / set of hours. You then get the DONE FOR THE DAY list done in other hours (or try to 2 for 1 it while being cashier). This incentivizes you to HIRE so you can work the big impactful things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.