The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Get Better

Anything related to matters of the mind

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Hi everybody!

I really wanted to learn how to sell, so I got this job at a makeup and perfume store. Already worked there for a week and I got a question.

Alex Hormozi said: "a 100 sales will teach you more than a 1000 books on sales". And if you want to improve a skill just do it.

But how do you get better when you can't see the other way of doing things. If you sell one way, how do you get better if the other ways are invisible for you?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Research.

You can do research on other ways to sell.

I currently don’t know what you mean by other ways,

if you mean like online and in person, etc,

Just Do It.

If you want to learn how to do Facebook ads, create an ad.

If you want to get better and persuading others to buy,

Practice persuading people.

quit reading books on how to swim, jump into the pool.

If you can explain a little more on what you mean by “other ways” that would be nice.

Hope that helps!

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Research.

You can do research on other ways to sell.

I currently don’t know what you mean by other ways,

if you mean like online and in person, etc,

Just Do It.

If you want to learn how to do Facebook ads, create an ad.

If you want to get better and persuading others to buy,

Practice persuading people.

quit reading books on how to swim, jump into the pool.

If you can explain a little more on what you mean by “other ways” that would be nice.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for the answer.

By "other ways" I mean ways to approach a customer, what and how to say, ways to overcome the BS that they tell themselves like: "I'm just looking" Like.. no, you are not, you don't come to shop and spend your time that you will never earn back on "just looking" etc.

If to follow your example. Let's say you jumped in the pool and know how to be afloat. How do you know how to start to swim, or how to swim more efficiently if it's just not existing information for you.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
Thank you for the answer.

By "other ways" I mean ways to approach a customer, what and how to say, ways to overcome the BS that they tell themselves like: "I'm just looking" Like.. no, you are not, you don't come to shop and spend your time that you will never earn back on "just looking" etc.

If to follow your example. Let's say you jumped in the pool and know how to be afloat. How do you know how to start to swim, or how to swim more efficiently if it's just not existing information for you.
How are you opening? Are you saying, "Can I help you?"

When they hear that, people automatically go into the "leave me alone" mode.

Notice what they're looking at. Something floral? Citrusy?

"I noticed you were checking out ________. Are you thinking about trying out a new scent?"

Your job isn't to sell them perfume. You're trying to help them feel better about themself. They are browsing because they want to mix things up and try something new. Maybe they aren't sure what that is yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
How are you opening? Are you saying, "Can I help you?"

When they hear that, people automatically go into the "leave me alone" mode.

Notice what they're looking at. Something floral? Citrusy?

"I noticed you were checking out ________. Are you thinking about trying out a new scent?"

Your job isn't to sell them perfume. You're trying to help them feel better about themself. They are browsing because they want to mix things up and try something new. Maybe they aren't sure what that is yet.
At my first day I was opening with yes or no type of questions so people easily were saying "no".

Then I understood that's it doesn't work and started opening with open ended questions. And they were all saying "I'm just looking"

So I tried to put looking into the question like: "What scent are you looking for" So it will be illogical for them to answer "I'm just looking" but they all freeze and kinda put in an akward position, so I think it's not that good too.

And I also use alternative questions like: "Are you looking for a scent for yourself or for a present" etc. So there's illusion of choice.

But there's always a new obstacle (the main one for now is "I'm just looking") and I'm wondering how just doing more will unlock the understanding of what to say

And yes, sometimes I'll see what kind of perfume they are looking at and bring them a tester that they would probably like. And if they like it, then of course they won't say "go away" and stuff.

Also as a guy, girls just don't trust me in a makeup area, and that's ok:)

Thank you for replying man!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.