The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Identifying Chrome Extensions Opportunities For New Software Entrepreneurs

Idea threads

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
(if this isn't allowed, let me know. The website is free and doesn't ask anything of the users)

Hello all.

I've built a web scraper that goes through the Chrome Extension store and returns information regarding Chrome Extensions.

Analyzed, this data can be revelatory for people who are starting out and want to provide real value through "tiny" projects.

I've displayed this information on my (slightly-shitty-for-now) website, free for anyone to view/ download.

No email or anything required (link)

I've analyzed the data for you to show patterns that indicate that an extension can be value skewed.

(example: an extension is popular but has support only for a few languages. This leaves a large market of potential customers completely untapped!)

Developing Chrome Extensions is a bit of a low-key hustle but is definitely monetizable, just check out @Tau Ceti 's posts for example.

@MJ DeMarco describes how new entrepreneurs need to start small instead of trying to build the next Google.

This data will help you determine which extensions is worth your time to make better!

Leave any love or hate below!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Could you grab reviews from extensions and filter out the reviews to find bad ones that display pain points for others to possibly create value skews around?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Project at work that I was working on was filtering out Data from a csv file to incorporate automation to create extra sheets and then move data using powershell cmdlets since I see a ton of data per day from a Splunk report for application patching. Such a manual labored task, not that it's bad. But I was trying to save time and speed up the process a bit.

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
Could you grab reviews from extensions and filter out the reviews to find bad ones that display pain points for others to possibly create value skews around?
Hey that's a great idea. I originally thought of adding that along with some other things but honestly I wanted to get this out as fast as possible.

My goal with this extensions was to (1) get someone to enjoy it (2) release it

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 17, 2023
Just saw your post. I have a lot to say about this idea as I'm a "Indie Hacker" as well, already publishing CEs, but currentlly not finding the time to respond in depth.

Just a few questions from my side before telling my point of view regarding your "adventure":

1. Have you checked existing competition in this field?
2. If so, how do you want to compete with it?

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
Just saw your post. I have a lot to say about this idea as I'm a "Indie Hacker" as well, already publishing CEs, but currentlly not finding the time to respond in depth.

Just a few questions from my side before telling my point of view regarding your "adventure":

1. Have you checked existing competition in this field?
2. If so, how do you want to compete with it?

By CEs you mean content extensions ?

Yeah I have checked out other players in this game but my mindset going into this idea wasn’t to make money. It was to prove to myself I’m capable of providing value and finishing a project which is something I’ve struggled with in the past.

More specifically, I wanted to make something and not give up.

Now that I’ve accomplished this, the next thing for me to learn is idea validation, niche research and talking to the market

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 17, 2023
By CEs you mean content extensions ?
Chrome Extensions
Yeah I have checked out other players in this game but my mindset going into this idea wasn’t to make money. It was to prove to myself I’m capable of providing value and finishing a project which is something I’ve struggled with in the past.
Well, then my points are kind of useless then. I thought you want to compete directly with existing competitors in this field.

As I am a paying customer for a solution similiar to yours, I certainly like the idea. It's always useful for an entrepreneur to get some insights on your competitors weaknesses as well as strengths. Especially for me, as I'm not inventing new things, but improving existing ones and skewing value.

The only thing I wanted to say before your response was that the competition in this field ist quite a behemoth. That doesn't mean you can't compete with them, but the gap between your current features/offering and the one from the competition is quite huge. I know, it doesn't matter in your case, as this was a "project" for yourself, but I just wanted to tell you that anyways.

CONAN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 1, 2019
Chrome Extensions

Well, then my points are kind of useless then. I thought you want to compete directly with existing competitors in this field.

As I am a paying customer for a solution similiar to yours, I certainly like the idea. It's always useful for an entrepreneur to get some insights on your competitors weaknesses as well as strengths. Especially for me, as I'm not inventing new things, but improving existing ones and skewing value.

The only thing I wanted to say before your response was that the competition in this field ist quite a behemoth. That doesn't mean you can't compete with them, but the gap between your current features/offering and the one from the competition is quite huge. I know, it doesn't matter in your case, as this was a "project" for yourself, but I just wanted to tell you that anyways.
Can you list a few features that the software you use has?
Do you find relevant information while using it and made new extensions based on the data?
Can you provide a link to that software? (IDK if thats allowed on forum)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.